Missing Fishermen Port Burwell

Definitely makes yah think twice about going out alone.
Fall over with someone else on board they turn around and get you
Fall over alone you watch the boat troll away until you can’t see it anymore 😔

Fall over with someone else on board they turn around and get you
Actually funny you should say that. Last time we were out I was reeling in a line and a boat started to come across our path so my wife jumps in the drivers seat and tries to steer us away from a collision course. I just hear her go wtf it's not turning, forgetting I had the trolling motor on auto-pilot. So she's there trying to steer us away from danger and the MinnKota is just trying to put us into the other boat. (It wasn't that dire, we were still hundreds of feet away.)

Funny at the time but like, imagine trying to turn around to rescue someone and the boat says nope...

Actually funny you should say that. Last time we were out I was reeling in a line and a boat started to come across our path so my wife jumps in the drivers seat and tries to steer us away from a collision course. I just hear her go wtf it's not turning, forgetting I had the trolling motor on auto-pilot. So she's there trying to steer us away from danger and the MinnKota is just trying to put us into the other boat. (It wasn't that dire, we were still hundreds of feet away.)

Funny at the time but like, imagine trying to turn around to rescue someone and the boat says nope...
That would be Slancy trying to save my ass… I usually wear the controller around my neck
Hopefully I think fast enough and shut the trolling motor off when I fall in while fishing with her

I'll only bass fish alone in shallow water. Once I went to bluffs solo but I wore my PFD the whole time.
I’ve fished the inner bay alone
And went out of port Stanley trolling alone once, but I stayed fairly close and didn’t go over 50fow straight out.
I also wore my life jacket the whole time.

I have been thinking about it all day trying to run different scenarios about how it could of happened and what went wrong. My thoughts and prayers go out the family and I hope their loved one will be found safely.

I usually do not sit down and construct a post but what has occurred makes you reevaluate the safe boating practices on your boat to minimize the risks. Its unfortunate that an incident like this makes me hypersensitive to boating safety but overtime complacency sets in and I end up going back to status quo until you read about the next unfortunate boater. I need to remind myself to think beyond the excitement of landing the big one or filling your ticket and stay on track with the other parts of the equation weather, time, people on board etc. We all share the same passion and each have our own way of doing things on the boat. I always have an open ear because everyone has ideas and methods that can be integrated into your own routines. The key is to be consistent and on guard.

1. I always let someone know what Port I will fish out of departure time and return time. Once I am off the water my wife gets a call.
2. I make everyone wear life jackets on the boat. If you think you are Michael Phelps guess again. Panic, waves, current and mouth full of water will cause problems.
3. At least one person on my boat needs to know how to operate it and understand what to do when there is a person overboard.
4. Flares and safety gear. Crew needs to know where you store these items. I shot an expired flare off once and it did not work.
5. Going out on a rough day with an offshore wind is foolish and I have done this before and not very smart. If I ran into problems with the boat I would have been f'd. Younger days and the quest for the fish. There was no one else out which brings me to my next point.
6. Ensure you have vhf contact with the Port you go out of. It is very reassuring when fishing the Great Lakes to see other boats fishing around you because help is a call on 68. Seeing a parking lot full of cars and boat trailers is not a bad thing.
7. Fortunately I have a kicker. There have been many times at the launch with people trying to start their engine with the Cowling off. If you are having any mechanical electrical troubles please address them before going out 8 miles.
8. First Time Boaters. Please learn how to use your boat, electronics and safety gear. I was Perch fishing out of Bruce way back and I had to rescue a distressed boater who had three generations of family on the boat. Overcrowded, unprepared and the clincher was he purchased the boat on Kijiji that day.
9. Gambling on the weather. Seeing a front coming in and trying to convince yourself it will pass. I have had electrical sparks coming off the tips of my downrigger rods and in other incidents water spouts a couple miles away. Again you think to yourself when am I going to get out next and challenge the inevitable. Get off the water and don't be like me.

@ob1goby I've been thinking about this today too, I think alot of us have. You make many valid points that should be considered. I've both done some of those and came to reconsidered those actions after the fact, and try and learn from them. Many of us have grown up on this lake, but it could happen to anyone regardless of skill or experience, especially solo. One misstep can happen all too fast and this is a sobering reminder. The offshore wind point is crucial, any engine trouble and it could be a very long night or worse. The rods still in the holders along with the landing net is chilling. I hope he had a jacket on and can pull through. All the best to family, friends, and for those searching.

I have been thinking about it all day trying to run different scenarios about how it could of happened and what went wrong. My thoughts and prayers go out the family and I hope their loved one will be found safely. ...
Was planing on heading out solo Saturday with the weather being so calm. But the news definitely is making me second guess it. I always tell someone a departure port and am pretty strict about returning when I said I would. I've also got a satellite communicator with SOS beacon for camping that I always bring with me solo or not on the boat. Definitely need to get a radio and license now that I'm fishing the great lakes, but the beacon is some piece of mind.

Hoping he's found safe. I can't imagine what family and friends are going through.

Was planing on heading out solo Saturday with the weather being so calm. But the news definitely is making me second guess it. I always tell someone a departure port and am pretty strict about returning when I said I would. I've also got a satellite communicator with SOS beacon for camping that I always bring with me solo or not on the boat. Definitely need to get a radio and license now that I'm fishing the great lakes, but the beacon is some piece of mind.

Hoping he's found safe. I can't imagine what family and friends are going through.
A weekend, calm and lots of boats out. Stay sharp and go gettim.

I'm sitting here on the back patio tonight looking at the bright moon shining down on the water at least 2 or 3 miles out from the shore and if is very quiet and peaceful. Bugs me knowing the fact that one of our fellow anglers is out there somewhere and makes it hard to go inside for some reason and keeps me hoping that in some way shape or form he made it to a shoreline but hasn't yet found a way to communicate with or make contact with one of his friends or family. I just hope by some miracle he is ok.

Attachments

• 20220811_222003.jpg
    20220811_222003.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Very sad sight as mentioned above. It really makes me think about if its worth it for a few fish but i as you all do to just love fishing.
I was out on tuesday evening too and it was quite rough. I make anyone one my boat wear a life jacket too.
Prayers to the family. Very sad situation.

Ps. Wear you life jackets.

@ob1goby , That was a great post on planning and preparation for what lady Erie may bring. Every year she surprises even with the best laid out plans. For example just a couple weeks ago we ended up surfing 5 foot rollers with a cross wind 1 foot chop running across the peak on that roller. I've boated 30 years and know that wave is undesirable. We run a 16 foot Boston whaler like boat -- so yes that was challenging. The storm that blew east London straight thru Woodstock brought that cross wind that wasn't seen on windy. Another example would be the Katrina tail end storm when it hit Erie we surfed a 22 I/O starcraft in from end of the point back to TP. Much like a perfect east wind storm. Throttle on, then off -- all way for 10 miles. 45ing the backs of the 8 - 9 foot roller. Happily fishing in 4 foot roller all morning.

When caught in rough waters know how to surf the waves. You never want to nose first into the back of the wave with force of wave you surfing. Cut into them on 45s we say. In Tobermory - watched a boat run out from wind protected island into a 6 foot cresting roller. Went over the back on the first wave and plunged the nose of his 19 foot bow rider into back on the next wave scooping 200 lbs of water. The next wave he took was at the stern over the back by his motor. - swamped him enough to turn back and limp into protected waters -- while he waited for the bilge pump to catch up.

Learn how your boat performs and how quickly the nose recovers in rough water. Not all boats are meant for Great Lakes. Some are designed for cottage country or calm waters only. We owned a nose diver once for about two weeks lesson earned.

Be safe / Be smart

Last edited by a moderator:
@ob1goby , That was a great post on planning and preparation for what lady Erie may bring. Every year she surprises even with the best laid out plans. For example just a couple weeks ago we ended up surfing 5 foot rollers with a cross wind 1 foot chop running across the peak on that roller. I've boated 30 years and know that wave is undesirable. We run a 16 foot Boston whaler like boat -- so yes that was challenging. The storm that blew east London straight thru Woodstock brought that cross wind that wasn't seen on windy. Another example would be the Katrina tail end storm when it hit Erie we surfed a 22 I/O starcraft in from end of the point back to TP. Much like a perfect east wind storm. Throttle on, then off -- all way for 10 miles. 45ing the backs of the 8 - 9 foot roller. Happily fishing in 4 foot roller all morning.

When caught in rough waters know how to surf the waves. You never want to nose first into the back of the wave with force of wave you surfing. Cut into them on 45s we say. In Tobermory - watched a boat run out from wind protected island into a 6 foot cresting roller. Went over the back on the first wave and plunged the nose of his 19 foot bow rider into back on the next wave scooping 200 lbs of water. The next wave he took was at the stern over the back by his motor. - swamped him enough to turn back and limp into protected waters -- while he waited for the bilge pump to kick in.

Learn how your boat performs and how quickly the nose recovers in rough water. Not all boats are meant for Great Lakes. Some are designed for cottage country or calm waters only. We owned a nose diver once for about two weeks lesson earned.

Be safe / Be smart
To add to that his boat was defintely built and designed for big rough waters. But just because you have a boat designed for big rough waters doesn’t mean you should go out in it.. this is evident as the boat survived the rough waters even un manned

@Wildfire , being that you mentioned that... a Huron Sailor once shared with us - that in rough waters it's better to take a leak in a in pail and dump it then try to balance for the duration. He said it's a life saving tip! Happens to sailors more often than we know apparently because they enjoy the windy waters. I imagine a wet deck and top heavy individual would not take much to flip overboard. At this point in time - they will most likely find him washed a shore. Unfortunately :-{

Beachcomers be aware.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks