Marine radio

@morgan, VHF --sailors had to have a way to keep the CBers off their airways back in the day. The training and appropriate terms help with clear communication on emergency channels. It's been a while for me. So certain channels are monitored and fines applicable for " use "without a license.
ROC stands for Restricted Radiotelephone Operator’s Certificate and is required by Anyone using a marine VHF radio or other marine radios (each person on the boat who will use the radio needs their own card). There are significant fines if you are found using a VHF or marine radio without your card. https://www.sailing.ca/rocm/

Sounds like you are only intending to monitor (listen to it) and only in the event of an emergency would you use it. - Seems fair and reasonable.
I don't want to start any purist debates here. Better to have a VHF radio - in an event where you need to use it. 👍 Short of that *16 on the cell phone and relay you GPS co-ordinates clearly twice works well too. Coast guard radios local aid and assist on those calls to VHF users in the area.
You are right on the money Bayrunner16 . That’s all I would use it for , if I or someone else had a problem I would be there for them ,
and hopefully someone for me ! I had a CB radio put in 40 years ago , what a joke , too many morons ruining it for every one else . It lasted two seasons ( dumpster ) If I ever have to put in a mayday , or report another boat in trouble , I can’t believe the radio police would come down to hard on me .

Back