Marine radio

GMAC

The recent post regarding the poor fellow who has gone missing makes me wonder about safety on the water. I don’t go alone and always wear a PFD so that’s not my concern but what about breakdowns and fire hazards.
I’m considering getting a marine radio for the boat. I know a course is required but that’s not an issue. Does anyone have a suggestion for type/model etc? I know absolutely nothing about them.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I use a hand held now. Have been thinking about a better unit with a GPS.

Be interesting to read the responses.

Marine radio is worth it's weight in gold and I recommend anyone fishing big water have one. I've had one ever since I started fishing Erie and won't go without. My neighbor and I went out last Saturday night for his first trip with me out on Erie. He asked me a little bit about it and how it works so I explained my views. An hour into fishing that night (we got on the water at 6:30 that night) a call came over the radio about a boat broke down after fuel issues west of Glasgow in 65 fow. We immediately packed up and went out to find the boat and all my explanations explained themselves. Boat was in 65 fow off Clearville so was a bit of a long haul but they needed help and had we not had a vhf we couldn't have helped. Upon arrival we found 2 adult men with one young girl and 2 teens. I was the only one to respond and we got them in safe. As I told them one day that could be me and without a radio it can definitely be difficult to get others attention and could get you in trouble. A vhf is a very cheap investment that could easily save you life or the life of others. That's my 2 cents

Remember, VHF radio is "line of sight" so the longer the antenna the further the range. My boat is only 16.5 ft but I have a 12 ft antenna mounted on a swivel. The antenna can be tucked alongside the gunnel when not in use. I pick up Sarnia coastguard from Port Maitland.

The built in GPS for the DSC is a nice feature. I believe you need to register it for it to function properly?

I fish alone almost exclusively and this year, when I downsized from a walkaround to an 18ft aluminum, I installed an MOB system. It includes a control unit that ties parallel into the motor's kill switch, and little fob that you keep in you pocket or on an optional wrist band. If you get more than about 30ft away from the control unit, or if the fob goes 4" under water, it kills the motor. I connected mine to the kicker, because I can wear the clip that is on the main, but they make units that will connect to both motors. it works great and for $300 it is nice knowing that if I fall overboard I won't just bob there and watch my boat motor away. Here is the link to where I got it, they go on sale once in a while but I am sure that you can get it locally. https://ca.binnacle.com/p13194/Fell...-2AQ5NcrwRnUpiRfAGSq_e4rVEcF9CKBoCLFoQAvD_BwE

I used a hand held for a few years then upgraded to a Uniden UM 385. One of the beast purchases I have made. The permanent type has a lot more power witch means a wider area to send and receive to
Same unit I run and really like it

Remember, VHF radio is "line of sight" so the longer the antenna the further the range. My boat is only 16.5 ft but I have a 12 ft antenna mounted on a swivel. The antenna can be tucked alongside the gunnel when not in use. I pick up Sarnia coastguard from Port Maitland.
Sarnia coast guard is the dispatch That's who you talk to regardless of being in turkey point or parry sound. They have repeaters everywhere

A marine radio should be standard equipment on a boat along with fire extinguisher life jackets flares. Too many people travel miles off shore with no radio to contact anyone. Don't need a license for it to ask for assistance.we had a community of contacts while traveling off shore to the point. Dave Ellis charter boat captain, @seastar , @lakertaker2 (last call at longpoint) Pokémon etc etc. This is another way of letting everyone know your whereabouts

Last edited:
In this day and age I think allot of people rely on their cell phones not realizing cell service can be spotty at best offshore. A working vhf is worth it’s weight in gold if you need it. Better to be looking at it than looking for it is my motto.

Get a radio ! Not just for the added saftey but listening channel 68 has put fish in my boat. They make some small/cheap ones now. Also cell coverage no worth a damn in many spots on the lake. Careful out by the light house or you may get a big bill because you've roamed to a US cell tower.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks