Marine radio

Get a radio ! Not just for the added saftey but listening channel 68 has put fish in my boat. They make some small/cheap ones now. Also cell coverage no worth a damn in many spots on the lake. Careful out by the light house or you may get a big bill because you've roamed to a US cell tower.
Agreed 100%
Just saying in a Mayday situation, time is of the essence, *16 is also an option for direct contact with Coast Guard.
✌🏻

Ill exho mrozborn. Line of sight very important 6 foot antenna in 6 foot waves almost useless, definitely get a unit with DSC. Each radio has its own ID number which when registered with the Coast Guard gives your GPS coordinates and a description of the boat so they know what they’re looking for! The course is worth taken a lot of information there stuff to remember that you will forget LOL

I know everyone is happy with the Uniden radio. Does it have GPS? Are there other makes and models that anyone would recommend? Better clarity, ease of use, etc.

I've had these charges reversed by calling Rogers. May vary between carriers but worth a phone call to check.
I had Rogers do that too. I wasn't even on the water I was at Long Point PP beach. I called Rogers to dispute the roaming charges and they said they'll investigate and call me back. Called back a short while later saying my phone kept swapping between Port Rowan and Cleveland, so they reversed the charges.

Last edited:
The recent post regarding the poor fellow who has gone missing makes me wonder about safety on the water. I don’t go alone and always wear a PFD so that’s not my concern but what about breakdowns and fire hazards.
I’m considering getting a marine radio for the boat. I know a course is required but that’s not an issue. Does anyone have a suggestion for type/model etc? I know absolutely nothing about them.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 92189BC8-2640-4FF3-AC27-1734675BC0DE.jpeg
    92189BC8-2640-4FF3-AC27-1734675BC0DE.jpeg
    274.4 KB · Views: 18
Is the range on handheld VHFs any good? My Oceanus VHF died. It couldn't handle the 100 KPH down the highway in the rain - is my guess. It slowly drains the battery - short in it some where. So wonder if Handhelds improved with technology....?

It works great on the lakes, and with the distress button, and self activation when submerged for a couple minutes I wear it on my belt when fishing solo,along with my self inflating lifejacket
i don’t feel as self assured as I did about going out solo so I was glad to read about offering a seat instead…
It’s sad times like this recent accident that makes me glad to be a member of 68….

Is the range on handheld VHFs any good? My Oceanus VHF died. It couldn't handle the 100 KPH down the highway in the rain - is my guess. It slowly drains the battery - short in it some where. So wonder if Handhelds improved with technology....?
Anything is better than nothing but if you can swing it, get one with at least a 6’ antenna. Like others have stated, vhf is line of sight so the higher your antenna the greater the range.

I have a question , radios are a great thing to have when it comes to your own safety , or being able to help someone else . I have no interest in chatting it up with my fellow boaters , just want the safety factor . Do I really need a ROC license if I have something ,or someone who needs help that I can report ,or go assist them . I’m a senior and don’t really take another government b.s course ,or test . Besides I will forget everything the next day . I would gladly spend the money to install one ,and hopefully never have to use it .

I have a question , radios are a great thing to have when it comes to your own safety , or being able to help someone else . I have no interest in chatting it up with my fellow boaters , just want the safety factor . Do I really need a ROC license if I have something ,or someone who needs help that I can report ,or go assist them . I’m a senior and don’t really take another government b.s course ,or test . Besides I will forget everything the next day . I would gladly spend the money to install one ,and hopefully never have to use it .
It’s really up to you. You are supposed to have at minimum an ROC licence if you have a vhf on board. I’m sure there is a fine, not sure of the risk $.That being said, I’ve been stopped dozens of times on a bunch of different boats over the years. Most, if not all of them had a vhf and large visible vhf antenna. Although I always have it on me, I have never been asked to produce my license .

@morgan, VHF --sailors had to have a way to keep the CBers off their airways back in the day. The training and appropriate terms help with clear communication on emergency channels. It's been a while for me. So certain channels are monitored and fines applicable for " use "without a license.
ROC stands for Restricted Radiotelephone Operator’s Certificate and is required by Anyone using a marine VHF radio or other marine radios (each person on the boat who will use the radio needs their own card). There are significant fines if you are found using a VHF or marine radio without your card. https://www.sailing.ca/rocm/

Sounds like you are only intending to monitor (listen to it) and only in the event of an emergency would you use it. - Seems fair and reasonable.
I don't want to start any purist debates here. Better to have a VHF radio - in an event where you need to use it. 👍 Short of that *16 on the cell phone and relay you GPS co-ordinates clearly twice works well too. Coast guard radios local aid and assist on those calls to VHF users in the area.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are required to be licensed to use the radio. My instructor asked me before the test if I had used mine unlicensed. I asked, if I say yes do I fail? He said no, the point is, if have you one and need to use it, USE IT!

You can also call *16 on your cell phone

That only works when you have service.

I lose service every time I am out on Erie.

I upgraded my VHF stuff this year. Gave my old radio and antenna to my brother in law who was going out on Erie with only a cell phone.

With my new system I often hear vessels communicating with US marinas regarding available dockage. Kinda kewl and very comforting knowing that I am able to hear that distance. Never tried to communicate with them but it is tempting to test the range.

Hand held don't have the power and therefore neither have the range of a fixed mount radio.

Make an informed decision so that you don't have a "wish I had" moment. 🌻

@Wildfire I upgraded from a Standard Horizon GX 1600 with a compact bottom load antenna to an Icom m506 with AIS and 8 ft antenna. 🌻

Last edited:
I think you can get Uniden radios with buit in GPS. Mine doesn"t have it. getting a GPS reciever is my next purchace.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks