Off Topic LPB. ice

Yes, the bay has ice.
But it’s a crappy first freeze. Consisting of snow, slush, and Highwinds!IMG_5178.pngThe long range keeps changing I give up.!
Well, I really don’t give up!

Yes, the bay has ice.
But it’s a crappy first freeze. Consisting of snow, slush, and Highwinds!View attachment 83407The long range keeps changing I give up.!
Well, I really don’t give up!
Thanks for the update on the ice condition @oldcutmarina 👍 and as always,I love your oldcutmarina live webcam as well. Today,I will be organizing my ice fishing tackle,and here’s hoping 🤞 for a “safe” hard water season ahead! 🎣🐟👍🙂

Last edited:
Safe should be the key word when it comes to ice and of course ice fishing. First ice is is usually dubious and I wouldn't be in a rush to get out there until some Pro's check on it's thickness and quality. Is it blue or white ice ? Clear or snow covered ? Minimum 4 inch of blue ice to walk on and 6 for ATV/snowmobiles as white ice probably has air or snow infused in it and isn't as strong. Less than 4 inch ... STAY OFF ! I'm pretty sure the Boyz from St. Williams Fire & Rescue don't want to get that type of call but they will risk their lives to save yours !

Query ; How many guys have or carry their own rescue equipment ? Floatation/Survival suit, ice picks, throw rope ?

Adding the boat throw rope bag to the ice fishing gear is a great idea. A friend went into the water through a pressure crack off of Hawkstone on Simcoe a few years ago on his old 3 wheeler. Floater suit popped him up and the Wheeler floated upside down. He got a little wet and the Wheeler was recovered by us and towed to shore. Could've ended worse without the suit and a throw rope would've definitely helped.

Safe should be the key word when it comes to ice and of course ice fishing. First ice is is usually dubious and I wouldn't be in a rush to get out there until some Pro's check on it's thickness and quality. Is it blue or white ice ? Clear or snow covered ? Minimum 4 inch of blue ice to walk on and 6 for ATV/snowmobiles as white ice probably has air or snow infused in it and isn't as strong. Less than 4 inch ... STAY OFF ! I'm pretty sure the Boyz from St. Williams Fire & Rescue don't want to get that type of call but they will risk their lives to save yours !

Query ; How many guys have or carry their own rescue equipment ? Floatation/Survival suit, ice picks, throw rope ?
Use all of the above. One thing I suggest is a good dry bag. When closed properly u can trap air in there and it works well as a flotation/rescue device. Never had to use it while fishing but tried it in pool when checking the buoyancy of my floater suit and worked well, couldn't pull the bag under the water with my normal gear in it.

Use all of the above. One thing I suggest is a good dry bag. When closed properly u can trap air in there and it works well as a flotation/rescue device. Never had to use it while fishing but tried it in pool when checking the buoyancy of my floater suit and worked well, couldn't pull the bag under the water with my normal gear in it.
How buoyant are float suits? I should really test mine out during the nice weather.

Float suit, ice pic around my neck, throw rope on the ATV. Another piece on the ATV I always carry is a winch bar..a piece of 1" angle iron 12" long with 2' of chain welded on with a clevis at the end of the chain....if you need to use a winch on the ice drill a hole, put the angle down so it firms up against the bottom of the hole. Gives you an anchor to hook the winch to.

The first freeze was crappy.
Snow and slush and a thick blanket of snow on top?
I will be checking it first hand Friday morning…
Stay tuned.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks