Lots of salmon??

Yup. You nailed it. King salmon
The mouth is the ONLY way to tell steelhead, from a brown, to a coho. The Jaw line as well how it “parks” behind the eye . The tail is a “hint”. The strains now are mixed. Ohio is sending salmon/bow hybrids. Ohio is hatching bows now that the tail can be clutter with spots. The jaw line, mouth and eyes are basically the only way to decipher

Attachments

• 25F3B999-03ED-4F22-A00D-518B0806C7E0.png
    25F3B999-03ED-4F22-A00D-518B0806C7E0.png
    1 MB · Views: 17
What are these? Minus the walleye

Attachments

• 01FFFA10-B2B2-43F7-85EB-0E2CCFE65CBC.jpeg
    01FFFA10-B2B2-43F7-85EB-0E2CCFE65CBC.jpeg
    323.7 KB · Views: 56
  • EC63117C-2AEC-40FF-A9E3-BB95F04DAE91.jpeg
    EC63117C-2AEC-40FF-A9E3-BB95F04DAE91.jpeg
    275.3 KB · Views: 58
Can someone explain the absence of the stripe that usually indicates a rainbow?

Attachments

• 8EEB868E-F3A9-4295-8A9E-1113983631AB.jpeg
    8EEB868E-F3A9-4295-8A9E-1113983631AB.jpeg
    651.1 KB · Views: 24
It’s pre-spawn? We catch them like that at diuffins creek or 16 mile. I’m not sure a stripe means anything? 16 mile creek has a lot of “resident” fish you can catch all year long with no strip. Usually we see a strip or pronounced colours in the spring?

The mouth is the ONLY way to tell steelhead, from a brown, to a coho. The Jaw line as well how it “parks” behind the eye . The tail is a “hint”. The strains now are mixed. Ohio is sending salmon/bow hybrids. Ohio is hatching bows now that the tail can be clutter with spots. The jaw line, mouth and eyes are basically the only way to decipher
I don't want to start an argument but there's some definite misinformation here 🤷

Rainbows (steelies) are easily Identified frpm any other Great Lakes Salmonid by their rows of radiating small spots on the tail. Nothing else in our area exhibits this trait. Rainbows also have a completely white mouth whereas both Coho and Chinook have atleast some darker colouring.

Second, there are no salmon/bow hybrids. A hybrid between any of our great lakes Pacific Salmon and a Rainbow has never been found, created or utilized. Ohio, for the most part stocks Manistee Strain Steelies into their tribs. They previously used somewhat domesticated strains similar to Pennsylvania but switched to Michigan sourced fish several years ago.

Josh

Last edited:
Well thanks for the understanding and patience for when I jumped the gun and thought I caught 5 cohos in lieu of 5 bows. 15 months into this fishing and I am still learning stuff everytime I go out.

I don't want to start an argument but there's some definite misinformation here 🤷

Rainbows (steelies) are easily Identified frpm any other Great Lakes Salmonid by their rows of radiating small spots on the tail. Nothing else in our area exhibits this trait. Rainbows also have a completely white mouth whereas both Coho and Chinook have atleast some darker colouring.

Second, there are no salmon/bow hybrids. A hybrid between any of our great lakes Salmon and a Rainbow has never been found, created or utilized. Ohio, for the most part stocks Manistee Strain Steelies into their tribs. They previously used somewhat domesticated strains similar to Pennsylvania but switched to Michigan sourced fish several years ago.

Josh
“AquaBounty says its genetically engineered salmon involves a single specific molecular modification in salmon that results in more rapid early growth. The company says its challenge will be keeping up with global consumer demands for its high-quality seafood.”

“AquaBounty says its genetically engineered salmon involves a single specific molecular modification in salmon that results in more rapid early growth. The company says its challenge will be keeping up with global consumer demands for its high-quality seafood.”
I cut and pasted that quote into Google and found an article about aquaculture Atlantic Salmon in Ohio 🤷 I'm confused by the relevance? And highly doubtful this project is taking place in Lake Erie?

Heres a easy question,, who's still clipping the pectoral fin on bows? With the stupid amount of rainbow on our side so far this summer I have seen at least a dozen or so clipped. I fish lower Niagara and Cattaraugus often and never really see any clipped fish there anymore. Just curious as to where these fish are coming from...

Heres a easy question,, who's still clipping the pectoral fin on bows? With the stupid amount of rainbow on our side so far this summer I have seen at least a dozen or so clipped. I fish lower Niagara and Cattaraugus often and never really see any clipped fish there anymore. Just curious as to where these fish are coming from...
Ohio and Pennsylvania do lots of clipping. The vast majority of Erie Bows are US stockers. The natural fish that run tribs on our side of the lake are just a drop in the bucket comparatively.

Josh

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks