Looking for my 1st Thames River walleye,of 2024. 🎣🐟🤞👍😎

Trev get out there. I’m sure there’s a spot to park and fish. Spring came early time to wake up :)
If I could, I would, but I've tried in the past and my body just can't take it. I can't bush wack anymore, nor can I stand on my feet long enough because of my back and hips, and even if I could stand on a river bank for any extended period of time, I can't repeatedly cast because of my shoulders to make it enjoyable or a worthwhile venture and God help me if I slip or fall out in the bush or beside a river. I'm in pain all the time and will be for the rest of my life because of the issues with my back, hips and shoulders. Some days are better than others, some are worse and the weather definitely impacts the extent of pain I feel on any given day. The more the temps go up or down, the more dampness or humidity there is, the more the weather changes, the more I hurt. Mother nature's inability or unwillingness to pick a season and stick to it since October hasn't been very kind to me and my body definitely does not agree that spring came early. I'm having too many days of increased pain than is "normal" for it to be spring. :inpain:

So I'll stay hibernating for a little while longer. I still have some fish from last year in the freezer, although I did have some perch yesterday, but didn't like the new recipe I tried, so I didn't post about it. ;)

As a kid we trolled the river often out of a 14 foot aluminum boat at what they call Pickerel Point (Or in @Red Hering language Walleye Point) in the Thamesville area with great success. There are definitely hundreds of great spots along the river for spring walleye fishing from shore and many more accessible spots on private property that produce extremely well with permission from the land owner. over the years I've had some absolutely amazing outings shore fishing the Thames between Chatham and Bothwell from shore and met some great people in the process
lol 😝 @Fshrmn4life “walleye” in @Red Hering language! and lol 😝 again!! 👊😉👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_3610.jpeg
    IMG_3610.jpeg
    296.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0727.jpeg
    IMG_0727.jpeg
    505.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0729.jpeg
    IMG_0729.jpeg
    630.5 KB · Views: 11
If I could, I would, but I've tried in the past and my body just can't take it. I can't bush wack anymore, nor can I stand on my feet long enough because of my back and hips, and even if I could stand on a river bank for any extended period of time, I can't repeatedly cast because of my shoulders to make it enjoyable or a worthwhile venture and God help me if I slip or fall out in the bush or beside a river. I'm in pain all the time and will be for the rest of my life because of the issues with my back, hips and shoulders. Some days are better than others, some are worse and the weather definitely impacts the extent of pain I feel on any given day. The more the temps go up or down, the more dampness or humidity there is, the more the weather changes, the more I hurt. Mother nature's inability or unwillingness to pick a season and stick to it since October hasn't been very kind to me and my body definitely does not agree that spring came early. I'm having too many days of increased pain than is "normal" for it to be spring. :inpain:

So I'll stay hibernating for a little while longer. I still have some fish from last year in the freezer, although I did have some perch yesterday, but didn't like the new recipe I tried, so I didn't post about it. ;)
In your case @Trevor M the Port Bruce pier suits you just fine,easy to walk on,etc., and that is why it has become your favourite fishing spot,especially for perch. 🐟🐟😋 👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_0837.jpeg
    IMG_0837.jpeg
    565.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0841.jpeg
    IMG_0841.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0842.jpeg
    IMG_0842.jpeg
    302.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0835.jpeg
    IMG_0835.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 27
In your case @Trevor M the Port Bruce pier suits you just fine,easy to walk on,etc., and that is why it has become your favourite fishing spot,especially for perch. 🐟🐟😋 👍🙂
Ok, I'm awake because of my back. WHY are you awake at this unseemly hour Red? :ROFLMAO:

I have sentimental reasons too why that pier is my go to Red. My dad taught me how to fish when I was 4 or 5 in the creek just across from NEM in what used to be Happy Hollow Campground right on the corner when my grandparents and one of my dad's uncles had sites. (It was where the blue house on stilts is where the temporary bridge used to be right next to the Bee Line site.) My sister and I would spend two weeks each summer with them there I'd either sit in the back of their neighbors boat at their dock and fish the creek, (or my dad's boat once he got it) or once I was old enough, if I had permission, I'd go out to the pier. When you take the 23 years I was out west out, I've been fishing that pier for 25 or 30 years and had I been here for those 23 years instead of out west, I'd have been fishing it and would have almost 40-45 years fishin it. I know it well.

Ok, I'm awake because of my back. WHY are you awake at this unseemly hour Red? :ROFLMAO:

I have sentimental reasons too why that pier is my go to Red. My dad taught me how to fish when I was 4 or 5 in the creek just across from NEM in what used to be Happy Hollow Campground right on the corner when my grandparents and one of my dad's uncles had sites. (It was where the blue house on stilts is where the temporary bridge used to be right next to the Bee Line site.) My sister and I would spend two weeks each summer with them there I'd either sit in the back of their neighbors boat at their dock and fish the creek, (or my dad's boat once he got it) or once I was old enough, if I had permission, I'd go out to the pier. When you take the 23 years I was out west out, I've been fishing that pier for 25 or 30 years and had I been here for those 23 years instead of out west, I'd have been fishing it and would have almost 40-45 years fishin it. I know it well.
lol 😂 @Trevor M why I was up at that unseemly hour!! lol 😝 A washroom break I needed to do at that time. 😉 Great memories of the fishing and history of the Port Bruce from you,and thanks for sharing. 👍 It’s understandable why you love Port Bruce a lot,for of course the easy accessiblity to fish off the pier,and sometimes the “non stop” perch action there for you at times. Bye for now my friend,for I am off to feed the Thames River walleye’s today. 🎣🐟🤞 👍😎

Last edited:
Was out there today, nothing but a big carp. Guess I was doing something wrong...lol
You likely weren’t doing anything wrong @TMAN I and other’s that I have talked to,believe that the walleye’s just aren’t
here yet in great numbers in the Thames River. I have been out walleye fishing now four times in the last week. My last fish that I had caught was a sucker!! 🙄. IMG_2849.jpeg
View attachment IMG_2850.mov
Therefore, I have now been giving the Thames River a break from fishing it for walleye’s since last Friday,and I am just basically waiting for the water temperature to warm up,( it’s around 42 Fahrenheit (6 Celsius) last friday, to then hopefully bring up the walleye’s from Lake St.Clair, Lake Erie,etc. Last year,the walleye run didn’t really “heat up” till into March,( photo’s below ), just before the walleye sanctuary started. Tight lines & walleye’s ON!! to All,who are willing to try their luck. 🎣🐟🤞👍😎

Attachments

• IMG_6450.jpeg
    IMG_6450.jpeg
    430.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4611.jpeg
    IMG_4611.jpeg
    539.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6451.jpeg
    IMG_6451.jpeg
    411.4 KB · Views: 20
I went out last night and got one too… they’re starting but still slow for sure
Nice looking walleye there @Fishermanpaul 👍 and thanks for “teasing” me and maybe others as well,in your second photo!! 🐟😋 lol 😂 I am not about to take any more Lake Erie walleye out of our freezer again from last year,( which I have done a couple of times already… photo’s ),because I would rather be trying my luck again soon,for my first Thames River walleye of 2024. See you on the river,( you know where 😉😗 ),and Tight lines & walleye’s on to you,and everyone else,trying their luck on the Thames River. 🎣🐟👍😎

Attachments

• IMG_2670.jpeg
    IMG_2670.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2672.jpeg
    IMG_2672.jpeg
    227.3 KB · Views: 15
Nice looking walleye there @Fishermanpaul 👍 and thanks for “teasing” me and maybe others as well,in your second photo!! 🐟😋 lol 😂 I am not about to take any more Lake Erie walleye out of our freezer again from last year,( which I have done a couple of times already… photo’s ),because I would rather be trying my luck again soon,for my first Thames River walleye of 2024. See you on the river,( you know where 😉😗 ),and Tight lines & walleye’s on to you,and everyone else,trying their luck on the Thames River. 🎣🐟👍😎
ahah it was a dang good meal along with some poutine... I'll see you out there, hopefully the walleye bite gets going soon, tight lines!

You guys realize the flow of things right?

1. Stomp buys a beef brisket from Loblaws
  2. Stomp eats said brisket
  3. 24 hours later, Stomp flushes the brisket remains
  4. Stomps brisket gets treated at Greenway
  5. Greenway sends Stomps brisket remnants into Thames river
  6. Small crustaceans eat Stomps brisket remnants
  7. Minnows and other baitfish eat the crustaceans
  8. Walleye eat the baitfish
  9. Red fishes west of the Storybook Garden dam downstream of Greenway
  10. Red catches the walleye and takes a picture of it
  11. Red filets the walleye
  12. In a pan, fish has odd taste.
  13. emoji, emoji emoji
Something to consider.

Last edited:
You guys realize the flow of things right?

1. Stomp buys a beef brisket from Loblaws
  2. Stomp eats said brisket
  3. 24 hours later, Stomp flushes the brisket remains
  4. Stomps brisket gets treated at Greeway
  5. Greeway sends Stomps brisket remnants into Thames river
  6. Small crustaceans eat Stomps brisket remnants
  7. Minnows and other baitfish eat the crustaceans
  8. Walleye eat the baitfish
  9. Red fishes west of the Storybook Garden dam downstream of Greenway
  10. Red catches the walleye and takes a picture of it
  11. Red filets the walleye
  12. In a pan, fish has odd taste.
  13. emoji, emoji emoji
Something to consider.
And I had cabbage rolls, fried chicken, coleslaw and mashed potatoes at the Hungarian Hall in Delhi on the weekend - just to spice the ole Thames up a bit!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks