Longpoint light house

Nammer.C

First fishing report!

Headed out to inside of LP light house. Trolled 3.5mph on #1 dipsy 150 ft back. Marked huge schools of bait. Had a couple good hits. Hooked a bow on a Williams orange and black spoon. Snapped a brand new 10lb lead of flouro after the third thump. Not quite sure what happened. Used a dream weaver snubber, but i noticed the spoons still twisted the line. May have folded over and twisted with the slack in the line when it hit, creating a kink. Washed the lure the rest of the day.
Wind picked up way more than the forecast. It was a rough ride back around 3.

On a side note, where do you guys launch when you head out there? I usually launch port rowan mainly because it's more familiar and the bay provides some protection when it gets rough, but gas is expensive

McDonald Marina (Turkey Point) is closer to he lighthouse, but I don't think the fuel savings would be substantial.

10lb lead on a dipsey is too light. A viscous Steelie hit will break 10lb like nothing against the pull of a dipsey. 25lb mono leads for me...

There sure is a ton of bait out there, was out that way Saturday for a change of scenery myself and fishing was tough for everyone. Managed a little chrome in the cooler but was far from fast action.

Josh

10lb lead on a dipsey is too light. A viscous Steelie hit will break 10lb like nothing against the pull of a dipsey. 25lb mono leads for me...

There sure is a ton of bait out there, was out that way Saturday for a change of scenery myself and fishing was tough for everyone. Managed a little chrome in the cooler but was far from fast action.

Josh
I've always used 10lb leads but not on a dipsy. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference running after the dipsy especially with a snubber, but I'm definitely going to be using 15-20# in the future.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one having a rough go. 2nd time out to the light house and all I've done is burned through a hefty gas bill. Probably going to be port Burwell for me next trip

Last edited:
McDonald Marina (Turkey Point) is closer to he lighthouse, but I don't think the fuel savings
I'll look into it but from a quick glance it seems like most ramps (Turkey Point and dover) are only marginally closer than port rowan. I've always figured if I'm getting skunked, I could stop in the inner bay on the way back and catch some bass or pike

I’ve had good luck off nanticoke for steel and a few eyes mixed in. Short run from port Dover
We headed there around 1. Had time to do one pass in 35-45 fow when I realized the wind forecast was way off the mark so we had to call it quits. Still had a rough ride home. Marked a couple fish about 20ft down but their mouths were glued shut. Ill definitely try again as I saw a couple reports from last week that the fish were there. We were hopeful if they were at the shoal, they'd be at the lighthouse. Still new on the lake and boy do I have a lot to learn!

Josh
20 lb seaguar with a snubber can last most kings with a good rod
😂👍🤷🏻‍♂️

20# leaders and a relatively light drag.

Barely keeps the dipsy from pulling out line click by click around 3.0 mph on the graph.

If the fish want to pull out some line during the fight, no worries, makes it more fun. 🌻

You want your lead to break before the main line or the rod it’s self
I don’t see any benefit to going super light on the lead
I still catch lots of fish with a 30lb lead on

I would take into consideration which marina be more difficult to get back if the wind kicks up?
Not sure if there is a difference
I know that area between turkey point and pottahawk can get messy

Yes, 20 lb fluoro here. Used to run 30lb XT mono off the dipsey. -- Make sure the swivel is good - and working. No snubber used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was also out at lighthouse today,3 sheepshead ,2 rainbows 1 walleye,left when wind came up 11,00. got out of dodge ,Walleye hooked 75 ft down ,rainbow on slider same time , two for one :ROFLMAO:. thinfish spoon on slider, silver fox walleye ,old Owen sound favorite spoon 80'd of to buff bar 2 smallmouth,1 pike. Great day on the water, great supper fed the neighbor's

Attachments

• IMG_0417.JPG
    IMG_0417.JPG
    246.2 KB · Views: 104
Was also out at lighthouse today,3 sheepshead ,2 rainbows 1 walleye,left when wind came up 11,00. got out of dodge ,Walleye hooked 75 ft down ,rainbow on slider same time , two for one :ROFLMAO:. thinfish spoon on slider, silver fox walleye ,old Owen sound favorite spoon 80'd of to buff bar 2 smallmouth,1 pike. Great day on the water, great supper fed the neighbor's
The one on the left (in your right hand) is a Coho 😉

Josh

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks