Lake Erie smashfest

how the heck do you find that from the pics? lol you do background checks too?

If location/gps setting is enabled on your phone when you take a pic the GPS coordinates are attached to the photo. There’s people (lurkers) who browse fishing/hunting forums looking for pictures just so they can easily find a spot to fish or hunt.

One of the reasons many people avoid posting pictures online these days. Before this crap started the fishing and hunting forums would be full of reports with pictures.

Be careful when posting stuff for sale too as many people inadvertently let thieves know exactly where the ATV, bike, boat, etc will be when they go “shopping”.

About the air bladder issue. There are devices that you can use that attach to the downriver weight. You set the release depth. Clamp it on to the fishes lower jaw and send it down. It will release at the desired depth. ‘Supposed’ to have very high success rate. Ran into a guy that fished the Niagara bar a lot for Lakers. He swore by it. That or the fish didn’t float up till he was 3 miles away. Lol?!?!

If location/gps setting is enabled on your phone when you take a pic the GPS coordinates are attached to the photo. There’s people (lurkers) who browse fishing/hunting forums looking for pictures just so they can easily find a spot to fish or hunt.

One of the reasons many people avoid posting pictures online these days. Before this crap started the fishing and hunting forums would be full of reports with pictures.

Be careful when posting stuff for sale too as many people inadvertently let thieves know exactly where the ATV, bike, boat, etc will be when they go “shopping”.
@wknd_warriors ,just for :poop: and :giggle: here's some of the info on one of my own pics from 2019.

This screen scrolls with all sorts of info. Be careful what you share. LOL

View attachment 24506

Yea no kidding, I have all the location crap turned off on my phone any way but didn't realize it could be in the photo details either.

And that's why there taking down now.

Yea no kidding, I have all the location crap turned off on my phone any way but didn't realize it could be in the photo details either.

Your camera operates separately from your phone. In camera settings, make sure "tag location" or whatever your camera calls it is off/disabled.

The softwares I use in my phone and laptop for editing pictures seem to scrub the file during editing down to pretty basic stuff and no GPS info.

No need to panic guys. 99% of sites will scrub your data before uploading. Poster probably linked to an external site or something.

I believe LPF does too but I'm seeing some weird file name behavior.

But anyway, it's called EXIF data and it's stored as extra information on your pictures. GPS location, compass info, date picture was taken, phone details, everything is stored.

Couple years ago we busted a guy fishing specks out of season using that trick.

Lakers require cold water, which on Erie means deep water. Its not really rocket science finding them once the lake begins to warm up their range on our waters becomes quite limited. They do however respond to slightly different techniques than our other sport fish. If this weather forecast holds I may go on an offshore search for some grease balls myself Friday in my little 14' tinner :p Screenshot_20200629-215349_Samsung Internet.jpg

No need to panic guys. 99% of sites will scrub your data before uploading. Poster probably linked to an external site or something.

I believe LPF does too but I'm seeing some weird file name behavior.

6-8 didn't/doesn't, and he didn't link to anything external.

Google Maps tracks everything your phone/camera does unless you have taken steps to shut off those features.

Further up in the file I posted was the exact GPS location with a Google Maps link to display where the picture was taken on a map.

I know exactly (within reason) where Andy took his pictures, but as they belong to him, it's his right to reveal if he so desires, not mine.

Well I just learn something, you can obtain the gps coordinate with a picture, how is that possible?

Any modern cell phone that has location enabled will tag your pictures with that data. Pretty simple really.....but not something everyone thinks aboit when making a fishing report :LOL:

Josh

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks