Lake Erie smashfest

I can attest to the whole bladder thing. I’m just reacquainting myself with Erie now but 25yrs or so back I could limit on lakers daily with a chunk of lead on a threeway and a jointed rapala. Problem was they rarely went down again and it just wasn’t right.

Lakers should have no issues being released due to 'the bends' Salmon and trout are able to expell excess gases unlike walleye, perch, bass etc....a bigger concern would be keeping them in the warmer surface water too long resulting in thermal shock. And another FYI, they are all stocked fish so theres not really a big worry about killing prome spawning fish.....as for eating them, well thats personal preference..I prefer other species.

Josh

I caught my first rainbow in Erie last July and took it home. The meat was not very good so I made fish jerky with the other half and gave it to the cat. She enjoyed it. There must be some water temp that determines when to release them.

I caught my first rainbow in Erie last July and took it home. The meat was not very good so I made fish jerky with the other half and gave it to the cat. She enjoyed it. There must be some water temp that determines when to release them.
It's all based on there diet anything fatty like smelts etc goes whitish and bugs and insects make them redish

What they eat has somethingto do with it too .Catch Lakers up north on a small lake meat as red as a salmon from Lake Huron (eat mostly bugs ) next lake down the road they are white (eat mostly minnows)

So are the ones caught in Erie generally on a fish based diet and therefore "white"? If so I guess I might as well release any I catch.

Rainbows are my go to fish, I have caught both palish pink and dark pink meat out of wheatley. I won't eat the lighter color fish fresh, they are smoke material.
Think I've lost more fish than caught of the last 10 years , like a bass on roids.
The palish pink ones seem to be mushy , not firm. Not sure why , but fun either way.

Taste wise for me anyway I put lakers right up there with white perch, sheephead, carp and mud puppies. :sick::vomit:
You got to try northern Ontario lakers , small 2 pounds size . It is delicious ?
I won't eat anything over that size specially from Lake Ontario, not even from Erie
And never target them only accidental catch while fishing for salmon and a couple times jigging for perch

You got to try northern Ontario lakers , small 2 pounds size . It is delicious ?
I won't eat anything over that size specially from Lake Ontario, not even from Erie
And never target them only accidental catch while fishing for salmon and a couple times jigging for perch
I've had some 3 lb. lakers I caught off Killbear Provincial 90 ft. down Park in Parry Sound years ago tried on the BBQ but didn't like them at all. I'm not a big fan of trout or salmon either except if they are smoked. What are lakers like smoked?

There was originally a whole bunch of photos but it looks they were removed by the OP.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks