Just my thoughts

fishing girl pink

I'm heart broken thinking about that fisherman out there. My heart is so full after reading all the comments the past few days. We have a wonderful group of people on this site. Please use your safety equipment. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of this man. Hold your loved ones tight and tell them you love them. Sorry it's sappy I'm aloud. This accident has really shaken me. Stay safe all my fishing friends. ♥️🎣

I don't think I have ever been reckless operating on Erie, but I have made significant changes on/to the boat to minimize risk over time.

Everything the law requires and more.

Multiple layers of redundant safety items.

Upgrades in communication (vhf) including replacing the coax that came with the antenna.

All necessary? Don't know, don't care.

I don't want to find myself in a shoulda/woulda/coulda moment and be sorry I overlooked something. 🌻

I don't think I have ever been reckless operating on Erie, but I have made significant changes on/to the boat to minimize risk over time.

Everything the law requires and more.

Multiple layers of redundant safety items.

Upgrades in communication (vhf) including replacing the coax that came with the antenna.

All necessary? Don't know, don't care.

I don't want to find myself in a shoulda/woulda/coulda moment and be sorry I overlooked something. 🌻
I'm not quite as set up as you but do have more then I need on board just in case. I should wear my pfd fishing solo which I do most of the time but don't but if fishing alone it's out of my storage compartment and under my side of the console before I launch the boat so it's very accessible if need be.

Sorry it's sappy
It's not sappy.

It's heartfelt and VERY genuine. We're all hoping for a happy ending.

After hearing about this, my wife made it very clear to me, IF I ever do get my own boat, under NO circumstances am I to go out on the lake solo. If I can't find someone to go with me, then I can go park my butt on the pier to do some fishin.

That just shows that we're all in one way or another thinking about this, and possibly re-evaluating how we do things when we're out there on the lake.

Yes, even me who doesn't own a boat and my wife who has some very strict requirements that I must adhere to if I'm going out in the boat with anyone, (especially if it's the first time I'm going out with that person.)

For example, even if I've been out with someone multiple times, ie @tailfeathers who I've been out with the most, I MUST still provide her with the contact info of the person who owns the boat, (or remind her where it's written down in the house so she knows) which port we're going out of, an approximate ETA on when we'll be back, the name of the boat if possible or applicable, and if I can't give her that info, she will adamantly refuse to let me go AND it is an absolute MUST that if I have gone out with someone in their boat, I call her once we are back and on dry land so she knows we're back safely. Any failure on my part to provide her this information, as I said, she will adamantly refuse to let me go......or if I fail to make that phone call once we're back, let's just say I think the new couch is comfortable to sleep on, but I haven't tried and I REALLY don't want to find out, especially if it's not.

She wants this information for not only my safety, but also those who I've gone out with, so that IF it were to become necessary, she has it and can provide as much info as possible to the appropriate authorities, be that the OPP, Fire/Rescue, or Coast Guard.

Back in the eighties there was a storm roll thru Long Point Bay on opening day of bass, MY father(Icemaker) and myself were fishing the inner bay b oat traffic was crazy. It was a very calm day so we decided to head to the lighthouse. Only a CB radio on the old 18 ft starcraft. We nicely got set up and Icemaker said pull those lines there is a big storm coming, before I could get rods released it was there, that fast, the lake had gone from calm to frothing white in minutes. We headed into gravelly bay along with a bunch of other boats and where starnded there waiting for calmer weather. With no way of communicating with shore as the CB radios range was limited. We had to make our way out around bluff bar to get back to the marina, We watched a couple other boats head in and thought well if we are going to now is the time. From Bluff Bar to Marina Shores was a slow 31/2 hour trip that day. When arrived we had people waiting at the dock as we were much later than we usually are when we went fishing, my mother and neighbors as boats had been turned over in the inner nay. From that day on, there is someone on shore who knows departure times arrival times. A VHF was put in the boat and Icemaker made his handle and made friends with a few boats from his marina that frequented the lighthouse and got there handles so we could check in with them. Scary experience for sure but one that taught us some things.

It's not sappy.

It's heartfelt and VERY genuine. We're all hoping for a happy ending.

After hearing about this, my wife made it very clear to me, IF I ever do get my own boat, under NO circumstances am I to go out on the lake solo. If I can't find someone to go with me, then I can go park my butt on the pier to do some fishin.

That just shows that we're all in one way or another thinking about this, and possibly re-evaluating how we do things when we're out there on the lake.

Yes, even me who doesn't own a boat and my wife who has some very strict requirements that I must adhere to if I'm going out in the boat with anyone, (especially if it's the first time I'm going out with that person.)

For example, even if I've been out with someone multiple times, ie @tailfeathers who I've been out with the most, I MUST still provide her with the contact info of the person who owns the boat, (or remind her where it's written down in the house so she knows) which port we're going out of, an approximate ETA on when we'll be back, the name of the boat if possible or applicable, and if I can't give her that info, she will adamantly refuse to let me go AND it is an absolute MUST that if I have gone out with someone in their boat, I call her once we are back and on dry land so she knows we're back safely. Any failure on my part to provide her this information, as I said, she will adamantly refuse to let me go......or if I fail to make that phone call once we're back, let's just say I think the new couch is comfortable to sleep on, but I haven't tried and I REALLY don't want to find out, especially if it's not.

She wants this information for not only my safety, but also those who I've gone out with, so that IF it were to become necessary, she has it and can provide as much info as possible to the appropriate authorities, be that the OPP, Fire/Rescue, or Coast Guard.
That's awesome you have those. We have very similar rules.

Back in the eighties there was a storm roll thru Long Point Bay on opening day of bass, MY father(Icemaker) and myself were fishing the inner bay b oat traffic was crazy. It was a very calm day so we decided to head to the lighthouse. Only a CB radio on the old 18 ft starcraft. We nicely got set up and Icemaker said pull those lines there is a big storm coming, before I could get rods released it was there, that fast, the lake had gone from calm to frothing white in minutes. We headed into gravelly bay along with a bunch of other boats and where starnded there waiting for calmer weather. With no way of communicating with shore as the CB radios range was limited. We had to make our way out around bluff bar to get back to the marina, We watched a couple other boats head in and thought well if we are going to now is the time. From Bluff Bar to Marina Shores was a slow 31/2 hour trip that day. When arrived we had people waiting at the dock as we were much later than we usually are when we went fishing, my mother and neighbors as boats had been turned over in the inner nay. From that day on, there is someone on shore who knows departure times arrival times. A VHF was put in the boat and Icemaker made his handle and made friends with a few boats from his marina that frequented the lighthouse and got there handles so we could check in with them. Scary experience for sure but one that taught us some things.
Remember that day well Kirk. We were fishing the old Nanticoke Fairway buoy and both US and Canadian CG radio stations were broadcasting warnings of severe line of thunderstorms coming down the Lake (pretty evident by the oncoming clouds) Pulled lines and headed for Dover. On 68 it sounded like people just kept fishing in search of the big prize money in the Lakeshore Shopper Derby. Then it hit, line squall, with wind, hail and rain. Wasn't long before our CG Auxiliary pagers activated and we were on the way to the Bay with PD Coast Guard, OPP, MNR, CG04 from Booths for multiple boats in various mayday situations, some capsized with people in water, boats unaccounted for, others up in the Marsh, others aground, some awash. All in all that day 23 vessels were assisted with unknown number of people saved.

Last edited:
@Cap'nkirk , That day in the eighties cemented my interest in search and rescue. Never forget it. The family Bayliner had two tinny's capsized righted and in tow one behind the other. I was just a teenager. My father welcomed passengers aboard and sent me to bail their tinny's up on plane as we pulled them slowly along back to the old cut. - Thanks Dad! - He knew I was looking for challenge. haha. The capsized folks were not in right frame of mind - he said. Life vest and a 2.5 gallon pale put to good use.

Does anyone in the group have a C-TOW membership. $125 a year seams very reasonable. We ventured out to the Long Point Lighthouse yesterday in our new boat (new to me). I have a kicker as back up. Just thought this extra security might be worth it. Any thoughts. Thanks.

My dad and I got caught in a storm when he had the boat (16 ft springbok with a 50 merc) when we lived in the NWT. Wasn't fun.

We were out fishin on Prelude Lake, about half an hour outside Yellowknife. We saw the storm building off in the distance, but didn't read it correctly. We thought it was heading away from us, but on the off chance it was heading for us, we thought we had lots of time to pack up and get to the dock. We were wrong.

Not only was it was heading right at us, by the time we realized it, it was too late. It went from being just a cloud slowly building, into a full fledged storm in less than half an hour. It was one hell of a lightshow. Strong winds, and a torrential downpour and it was on us very quickly and we had to beach the boat on a small island tucked in behind a much larger one to get some protection until it passed.

We could almost be forgiven for our misreading of the situation. As far as thunderstorms go, at that time, it was VERY rare for one to happen in the Yellowknife area. Might get maybe one once every couple years, maybe. Rain yes, thunderstorms, not so much.

I think your post is how we're all feeling right now.
Safety safety safety.
Ill say it again..remember just how far offshore you are and what body of water you're on.
No fish is ever worth a life, but somehow we keep getting reminded every summer that our sport is not without risks.
Its just so sad.

Does anyone in the group have a C-TOW membership. $125 a year seams very reasonable. We ventured out to the Long Point Lighthouse yesterday in our new boat (new to me). I have a kicker as back up. Just thought this extra security might be worth it. Any thoughts. Thanks.
Yes I have a membership for both boats for $150 per year. It is a good deal. I have been a member for 3 years. Right after I got the membership the boats stopped breaking down until this year. I have used it already for over a 3 hour tow. Commercial towing is $ 200 per hour!
Gives one a sense of security knowing that someone is coming to the rescue. At the same time the coast guard was monitoring the situation to make sure we got in. stay safe

Well said fishing girl pink.
Very sad incident indeed, launched out of P B Wednesday morning Erie feeling as we arrived and saw the OPP boat coming back to the ramp i over heard a officer ask the other officer returning if he was done he replied yes and that the coastguards were all out there searching now. Well that answered my question, I only go out when the weather is good i have to pick my days and i am limited due to my old 16‘ Lund. last thing to get is a kill switch. I guess it should of been one of the first, the VHF is working now but i need a longer antenna for better reception.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends 🎣
safe fishing people 🐟
JJ

Yes, wireless kill switch is a must for solo fishing, I have one on my boat too
I must check into one of those,and I am surprise that I don’t have a wireless kill switch yet @Jing with the amount of solo fishing trip’s that I have done,over the many year’s!! I do have a “kill switch” attachment tied around my wrist,”sometimes!!” 😒 I will need to upgrade my safety standards a bit more!! Thanks for the information. 🚤🎣🐟👍😎

After hearing the news this week, I will be equipping my boat with more safety item that everyone has been speaking about more flares, PFD, Kill switch system. Big wake up call for myself and I am sure everyone on this form. Gut wrenching to hear this news I pray for this gentleman and hoping for a safe return. I can't even imagine. Stay Safe.

Well said fishing girl pink.
Very sad incident indeed, launched out of P B Wednesday morning Erie feeling as we arrived and saw the OPP boat coming back to the ramp i over heard a officer ask the other officer returning if he was done he replied yes and that the coastguards were all out there searching now. Well that answered my question, I only go out when the weather is good i have to pick my days and i am limited due to my old 16‘ Lund. last thing to get is a kill switch. I guess it should of been one of the first, the VHF is working now but i need a longer antenna for better reception.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends 🎣
safe fishing people 🐟
JJ
I pick my days as well. Safe fishing to you as well.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks