FRYING WALLEYES

Peanut oil when I want to treat myself; canola oil when I cheap out. I tried peanut oil for fish and sliced potatoes- it's the best.

WR

I have been eating "KETO" for the last several months and saw a recipe on the net for a breading to replace wheat flour and the like. I use a bag of pork rinds, pulverized in a food processor and add in a quarter cup of almond flour, a tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese, paprika and a few other spices I like and fry in oil of my choice. I double dip the fillets in the dry mix to load them up thicker with the breading to make the coating nice and crispy. This mix will coat about half a ziplock sandwich bag of fillets.

The pork rinds give it a little bit of a 🥓 flavour. Kind of like when we were younger and fried things in bacon fat. You remember. Back in the days when nobody knew what arteriosclerosis was, never mind how to spell it.😁

Not sure if this is the right audience for this, but while we're on the topic of cooking.... here's something that might appeal to those who like a bit of spice in their food...

I went to an event in Hamilton a couple years ago that was held in an Indo-Pakistani catering hall. One of the things that was served was this Lahori fried fish that was just amazing. Incredible crunch and nice flavour and bite. I guess it's a common street vendor food in Lahore.

1631033630563.png
So the batter is 2 parts chick pea flour (besan) and one part corn or rice flour, plus eggs and spice. The fish is cut up a little smaller than you'd do english style fish and chips and is marinated with lemon juice, ginger, garlic for 10 minutes. Make the batter kinda thick, mix in the fish, drop the pieces into the oil for a couple minutes and then set them to drain. Then put them back in and double fry them :) (Actually i did the second fry in the air fryer, later that day and again the next day. Great results.)

I kind cheated and bought the spice mix but there are a ton of recipes to do it from scratch. This one looks good.

Not sure if this is the right audience for this, but while we're on the topic of cooking.... here's something that might appeal to those who like a bit of spice in their food...

I went to an event in Hamilton a couple years ago that was held in an Indo-Pakistani catering hall. One of the things that was served was this Lahori fried fish that was just amazing. Incredible crunch and nice flavour and bite. I guess it's a common street vendor food in Lahore.

View attachment 49470
So the batter is 2 parts chick pea flour (besan) and one part corn or rice flour, plus eggs and spice. The fish is cut up a little smaller than you'd do english style fish and chips and is marinated with lemon juice, ginger, garlic for 10 minutes. Make the batter kinda thick, mix in the fish, drop the pieces into the oil for a couple minutes and then set them to drain. Then put them back in and double fry them :) (Actually i did the second fry in the air fryer, later that day and again the next day. Great results.)

I kind cheated and bought the spice mix but there are a ton of recipes to do it from scratch. This one looks good.
Man that looks delish 😋

Here's another tip for those of you who strain your oil, try using a small strainer and a coffee filter it works better then paper towel and easier to clean up. Also you can butter fry fish, the secret to this you need to clarify the butter, once the solids are removed the high fry pt of butter is increased, it won't burn, clarifying butter is easy but a bit messy and a little time consuming. The good thing is if you do a couple of pounds it lasts in the fridge for a long time, once the solids are removed from the butter it will last awhile and is great for frying fish. I use to do this to fry my perch, but the older I got the lazier I got so I haven't clarified any butter in awhile but this thread has got me think'in!!!!

Oh what the hell, I'll wade in.

Myself, not a deepfried, crunchy fish guy....and especially not walleye or salmon/trout. I do a dry rub starting with a bit of olive oil on the naked fillet, both sides...then dry season and rub in with whatever I am feeling 'today'. LOVE using Jamaican Jerk spice (which I mix myself) but recently, do a mix of red curry, garlic powder and just a sprinkle of Keg Steak Spice (not too much, very salty). I then cook on the bbq on those black BBQ mats. While cooking, I use a small marinade brush to re-coat the fillets with the juices that come off as cooking....produces a nice glaze. One flip only and done! I am drooling as I write this. HAH.

King Joe Outa Here!

We use Louana Peanut Oil from Walmart in the USA. It's available on amazon also.
Decent pricing and have never been disappointed. Been using for 10 yrs now.
Check out their website louana peanut oils

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks