FRYING WALLEYES

Did not know about olive oil breaking down in at high temps. Good to know. Continuously surprised at the stuff I learn about any number of topics on this site. Kudos ladies and gents it's kind of like my wise old grandpa is still around teaching me stuff! No offence intended sine I am plenty old enough to be a grandpa myself a few times over.😉

Pan frying or whatever that french word is, butter and oil (Olive or Peanut or whatever) if it is just The Wife and I.

Don't use Olive or Peanut when the family is in attendance as there's some with allergies.

Deep frying, Canola oil.

Never caught a walleye to fry, but for pickerel I use blended olive oil, not xtra virgin as it has higher smoke point

Avocado oil is a healthy choice (high in vit E) and has a high smoke point) - gave it a try this year and my new choice for battered

There's a trick to clean tired oil using gelatin. I've done it a few times and it works quite well to double the life of frying oil.

Kenji at Serious Eats has documented it here
Mind blown! So do you find the clarified oil works nearly like fresh without adding a used oil taste to the food? I usually do a few batches of wings and fries here and there but once I do fish, the oil is fooked IMO. I usually add a bit of seasoned oil to fresh as I find it to be a bit bland but this is very interesting. Could make peanut oil a more viable option if it extends the life

I've read somewhere that cooking fries after the fish kinda cleans and removes the fishy taste...I use canola, and clean it with paper towel as a filter, better to do it when it's still warm.

Sunflower oil here. Cast skillet on propane burner. Seems to take good heat , 390-400°F before I drop the fillets in.
Can't say much about how it is for re-use as I toss it after ever fry. Beerbatter,English,dry batters all turn out well.
Corn oil was a bad idea! To much flavor.

I use Canola, Vegetable or Coconut...

Real simple... whip up 2 eggs to wash fish in... roll in breadcrumbs with Romano cheese and pan fry in the oil...

I like them for breakfast with farm fresh eggs... :p

240478259_278105450415168_8423937678265942801_n.jpg

Canola oil is all we use and we get many deep fry sessions out of the oil provided you don’t over heat your oil. My fryer will hold 16lt of oil. Since the COVID has taken over, the 16lt jug was around $18 at Costco and now it has more than double in price at $41.

If you like English style batter, Cash and Carry in Brantford has this Krusto premix. I just add water to about tempura consistency and it turns out mint. No slimy crap under the crisp exterior and does not mop up the grease if your oil is the right temp. Give it a try.
Is Kash n Karry the old National Grocerys on Morton?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks