Fishing Report Fishing /Breakdown August 19 22

Are you guys worried about gas getting old? I try to run mine down a bit before refilling as I don't want the gas to go stale. I usually get 3-4 trips out of a tank. Last time out I let it go down to half on the gauge and put 177L in it on the res on the way home (200l tank).

I assumed that’s what mine does as well since the gauge never moves from
Full. After every outing I fill the tank back up on my way home
I run two trips out which will burn a quarter tank, still 3/4 tank. I fill up every second trip and keep it full. Pay attention to liters going in to make sure it is with in the range I am expecting. My father (Icemaker) always taught me its easier to keep things full than it is to have to look for fuel. This goes for anything that takes gas. Needless to say gas has never been my issue. I know lots of people that burn there fuel right to nothing, that is pretty scary considering you could get caught out on Lake Erie or any lake and take a lot longer coming in burning off that gas. IMO.

Are you guys worried about gas getting old? I try to run mine down a bit before refilling as I don't want the gas to go stale. I usually get 3-4 trips out of a tank. Last time out I let it go down to half on the gauge and put 177L in it on the res on the way home (200l tank).
That's pushing it. Mine only holds 118 litres, I can go two trips to 14 Miles out and back and troll all day and might get 80 liters back in it. As long as you know your boat you should never run out. Good on you Cap'nkirk he and his clients were probably happy you answered the call. 👍

@Trevor M lots of days I have gone in with 2 3 fish but am just happy to be out there on the water enjoying the day. Some one said fishing is a drug. It sure is, catching is a bonus, being out there is exciting, so quiet ,peaceful, no phones, no noise except the hum of the motor. Birds around, what could be better!!
As you know most of my fishing is done sitting on the pier in Pt Bruce. When I can't get out in a boat with someone, that's my go to spot for sentimental reasons. That's where I learned to fish when I was 4. Until we moved out west when I was 15, I spent many a summer sitting on the creek bank at the Happy Hollow campsite my grandparents had catching fish. Then when I was old enough, I was permitted to go out to the pier. When I moved back to Ontario in Nov of 2008, there were 3 things I was looking forward too. A pizza from Bondi's in St. Thomas. Fish and chips from YOUR Fish and chips in St. Thomas, both I got done almost right away, and fishing from the pier in Pt Bruce which had to wait until the spring of 2009.

While sitting on the pier generally isn't as quiet and peaceful, that's part of it. Sitting there, listening to the stories, taunting and teasing those you know well, and vice versa. It's helping those who show up who have never fished it before and don't have the "proper" gear by sharing your experience, and if necessary and able, giving them the things they'll need to have a better chance of catching a fish, especially if they're little kids, or have brought some kids fishing. (ie giving someone a pickerel rig, a sinker, and maybe some minnows if you have enough to do so. Now that I have my own minnow net, I just catch minnows for people once I have enough for myself) and of course the scenery doesn't hurt either. The eagles when they make an appearance. The air force (the flock of geese that are always there at sun up) The terns almost laughing at you when you miss one. The boats going out or coming in, even if they've come close to the pier and caught someone's line and been a bit ignorant about it. It's all part of the experience, as are the people, whether they've come to visit you on the pier to pick your brain, or just see how you've done, or how you're doing, and of course as I relayed in a recent post, those who come to BS you and then, there are those on the beach. Even though a lot of times I go, I'll see the same people, at the same time, every time I go it's different.

For quite a number of years my wife would let me go fishing, but she wouldn't let me bring home what I caught because she doesn't eat fish due to an experience she had when she was a kid. For years I'd catch it and then give it away to others on the pier. Then I used an argument she understood. I told her I DO eat fish, then told her what the price to buy it was. Then I told her about limits, and "gifting" and explained to her that over the course of the spring and summer, me going to catch it myself, then bringing home what I catch to put in the freezer I can put more in the freezer, and for cheaper, than I could buying it AND with my background in the kitchens working as a chef before I was a truck driver, I can bread/batter it or do any number of other recipe's I know for fish, myself, again, for cheaper than what it costs to buy the frozen fish sticks etc. at ANY grocery store.

Because I gave away so many fish for years before she finally allowed me to bring home what I caught, if it was worth bringing home, that's why now, when someone offers fish to me, what I call "bucket fishing" I don't often say no. To me it's just karma paying back my generosity to others, then, and now, as I still give fish to others, ie my parents, son, neighbors and periodically, as I've done the past two times I've gone, to someone on the pier when I've only caught 2-3 smallish ones, and haven't caught enough for a meal.

My wife still usually refuses to eat it, but every once in a while, even though it's like pulling teeth, I can get her to try some, but she always says, with a smile, that she'll NEVER admit she liked it and then once she's tried it to "humor" me, it's like pulling teeth again to get her to try it again. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Many thanks to Cap'nKirk .....👍 A very unselfish deed that was especially appreciated by the two 85ish year old gentlemen on board..not to mention he gave them his fish.....A very talented and capable Captain indeed....put us right on the fuel dock at Big Otter...
We made the best of our time on the long ride in dragging a couple 8 colours netting 3.....at just under 4mph..
In Captain Blastrs defense we had cleaned the inline fuel filter and the separator on the engine the night before and the digital fuel gauge said there were 76 gallons in the tank.....Electronics are wonderful until they do not work properly.....A valuable new boat (to Blastr) lesson...
Thank You Kirk 🍻

Hey, at least @Blastr had someone with lots of towing experience bringing him in. Must of been a bit*h backing up that trailer though @hvyhaul Good on you for helping out.

Nah, didn't bat an eye. LOL

I backed up B-trains for years, a few 6 foot waves are to laugh at. 😁 :ROFLMAO:

Nope this was all @Cap'nkirk I just happened to be in the vicinity. 🌻

You are worried about gas getting old and then buy gas on the rez?
Not that its old on the rez but they mix their own for most of the stations and its not up to par or regulated properly at that point. There is still the odd station that is still getting fuel from esso but not many.

As you know most of my fishing is done sitting on the pier in Pt Bruce. When I can't get out in a boat with someone, that's my go to spot for sentimental reasons. That's where I learned to fish when I was 4. Until we moved out west when I was 15, I spent many a summer sitting on the creek bank at the Happy Hollow campsite my grandparents had catching fish. Then when I was old enough, I was permitted to go out to the pier. When I moved back to Ontario in Nov of 2008, there were 3 things I was looking forward too. A pizza from Bondi's in St. Thomas. Fish and chips from YOUR Fish and chips in St. Thomas, both I got done almost right away, and fishing from the pier in Pt Bruce which had to wait until the spring of 2009.

While sitting on the pier generally isn't as quiet and peaceful, that's part of it. Sitting there, listening to the stories, taunting and teasing those you know well, and vice versa. It's helping those who show up who have never fished it before and don't have the "proper" gear by sharing your experience, and if necessary and able, giving them the things they'll need to have a better chance of catching a fish, especially if they're little kids, or have brought some kids fishing. (ie giving someone a pickerel rig, a sinker, and maybe some minnows if you have enough to do so. Now that I have my own minnow net, I just catch minnows for people once I have enough for myself) and of course the scenery doesn't hurt either. The eagles when they make an appearance. The air force (the flock of geese that are always there at sun up) The terns almost laughing at you when you miss one. The boats going out or coming in, even if they've come close to the pier and caught someone's line and been a bit ignorant about it. It's all part of the experience, as are the people, whether they've come to visit you on the pier to pick your brain, or just see how you've done, or how you're doing, and of course as I relayed in a recent post, those who come to BS you and then, there are those on the beach. Even though a lot of times I go, I'll see the same people, at the same time, every time I go it's different.

For quite a number of years my wife would let me go fishing, but she wouldn't let me bring home what I caught because she doesn't eat fish due to an experience she had when she was a kid. For years I'd catch it and then give it away to others on the pier. Then I used an argument she understood. I told her I DO eat fish, then told her what the price to buy it was. Then I told her about limits, and "gifting" and explained to her that over the course of the spring and summer, me going to catch it myself, then bringing home what I catch to put in the freezer I can put more in the freezer, and for cheaper, than I could buying it AND with my background in the kitchens working as a chef before I was a truck driver, I can bread/batter it or do any number of other recipe's I know for fish, myself, again, for cheaper than what it costs to buy the frozen fish sticks etc. at ANY grocery store.

Because I gave away so many fish for years before she finally allowed me to bring home what I caught, if it was worth bringing home, that's why now, when someone offers fish to me, what I call "bucket fishing" I don't often say no. To me it's just karma paying back my generosity to others, then, and now, as I still give fish to others, ie my parents, son, neighbors and periodically, as I've done the past two times I've gone, to someone on the pier when I've only caught 2-3 smallish ones, and haven't caught enough for a meal.

My wife still usually refuses to eat it, but every once in a while, even though it's like pulling teeth, I can get her to try some, but she always says, with a smile, that she'll NEVER admit she liked it and then once she's tried it to "humor" me, it's like pulling teeth again to get her to try it again. :ROFLMAO:

Many thanks to Cap'nKirk .....👍 A very unselfish deed that was especially appreciated by the two 85ish year old gentlemen on board..not to mention he gave them his fish.....A very talented and capable Captain indeed....put us right on the fuel dock at Big Otter...
We made the best of our time on the long ride in dragging a couple 8 colours netting 3.....at just under 4mph..
In Captain Blastrs defense we had cleaned the inline fuel filter and the separator on the engine the night before and the digital fuel gauge said there were 76 gallons in the tank.....Electronics are wonderful until they do not work properly.....A valuable new boat (to Blastr) lesson...
Thank You Kirk 🍻
@Leadcore Im just glad I could be of assistance, not looking for accolades, it WAS the right thing to do. Especially being rough and after the tragedy a couple weeks ago. I hope I never have to put a call over the radio for assistance, but one never knows, if I do I hope to get the same assistance. Glad the gentlemen could catch a couple fish at 4 mph...Lol I know I enjoyed watching them reel them in, , I gather from your post fuel was the issue, glad it was that simple. I would definitely being filling that boat before each trip then I know I have a FULL tank. And I would be remiss if I didn't say thanks to @hvyhaul @scoop! and " THE NEIGHBOR" for coming over while we under way to make sure all was well.

Ha Ha.... I was reluctant to mention hvyhaul's visit cause the last time I saw a net exchange between boats was to send my fishing license over to the CO..... I was however glad to put a face to the newly retired old road warier hvyhaul....My Dad trucked his whole life including tons of coal out of the Imperial Fuels dock at Port Burwell back in the day........and i enjoy all hvyhaul's cooking exploits...I like to dabble at that as well....
And Yes.... we trust that we are all in the good hands of fellow boaters....Now I can say ... It could be you...
I should also mention the fellow on the dock who immediately realized we could use an extra hand... I believe his name was Ron
Be safe and Goooood Fishing...

Ha Ha.... I was reluctant to mention hvyhaul's visit cause the last time I saw a net exchange between boats was to send my fishing license over to the CO..... I was however glad to put a face to the newly retired old road warier hvyhaul....My Dad trucked his whole life including tons of coal out of the Imperial Fuels dock at Port Burwell back in the day........and i enjoy all hvyhaul's cooking exploits...I like to dabble at that as well....
And Yes.... we trust that we are all in the good hands of fellow boaters....Now I can say ... It could be you...
I should also mention the fellow on the dock who immediately realized we could use an extra hand... I believe his name was Ron
Be safe and Goooood Fishing...
@Leadcore they were passing me a bottle of water......🤣 @hvyhaul had a cooking program on here? Surprised, thought "The Neighbor" did all that for him...
Iron Chef Cooking GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

You are worried about gas getting old and then buy gas on the rez?
Not that its old on the rez but they mix their own for most of the stations and its not up to par or regulated properly at that point. There is still the odd station that is still getting fuel from esso but not many.
I've never had a problem with it and it's ethanol free (I test it for ethanol once in a while)

That's pushing it.
I guess an important factor is where you fish. I don't go to Burwell/Bruce/Etc. so I don't have to go 20 miles away from shore to fish. Sure running out of gas halfway to Bluffs would suck but like, the risk is lower. Camping out on the point overnight is not as bad as being dead in the water in the middle of the lake.

Not saying I'd want to do either. Just calculating risk in worst case scenarios.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks