Fishing Report February Steelheading

@Red Hering I was thinking of going next friday but the forecast calls for -11 C on friday,, a little cold for me..the eyes would be icing up with all the casts,,, i had someone tell me that lip balm on your eyes(on your rod ) helps prevent ice build up,,anyone heard of this or have another remedy????? Pocono
@poconokidII as of now,it does look a little cold for next Friday for the thames river fishing.It’s still early for a consistent walleye bite/catch,but the walleye fishing will eventually improve. Another product that I have used for the ice buildup on the fishing rod’s is,the spray that the downhill and cross-country skiers use to prevent the snow from building up on the bottom of their skies.I have tried the spray,(I don’t know the name of it),but I have used it for late season Steelheading on the river & also for the early season walleye river fishing as well,and it does work. ???

@poconokidII as of now,it does look a little cold for next Friday for the thames river fishing.It’s still early for a consistent walleye bite/catch,but the walleye fishing will eventually improve. Another product that I have used for the ice buildup on the fishing rod’s is,the spray that the downhill and cross-country skiers use to prevent the snow from building up on the bottom of their skies.I have tried the spray,(I don’t know the name of it),but I have used it for late season Steelheading on the river & also for the early season walleye river fishing as well,and it does work. ???
You know what a fair weather fisherman says... it's too hot, it's too cold, it's too wet, it's too dry...….. :D

You know what a fair weather fisherman says... it's too hot, it's too cold, it's too wet, it's too dry...….. :D
@Wave Runner even though it has been snowing heavy and steadily here in London for the past hour or so,I will be out fishing the thames river for walleye’s this week!! I will find some open water somewhere,for I am a 4 season angler & fishing is the “drug!!” o_O ? Photo’s of walleye’s that I hope to catch,will be posted later this week!!????

@Red Hering I was thinking of going next friday but the forecast calls for -11 C on friday,, a little cold for me..the eyes would be icing up with all the casts,,, i had someone tell me that lip balm on your eyes(on your rod ) helps prevent ice build up,,anyone heard of this or have another remedy????? Pocono
I use ice off paste it comes in a small round but flat black container little bit bigger than a toonie
Also put it on my float and weights
So no ice build up on them and your bait will actually sink lol
I had it before watching my float going down and there is my bait floating rigth beside it as the ice made the split shots buoyant
Yup was a cold day

Mikes Ice off paste applied liberally with a qtip just makes it easier to remove, doesn't stop ice from forming. I use fly line cleaner with dubbin on Pline Hydrofloat and it helps to shed water but again is not perfect. Silicone spray on mono helps as well when bottom sitting.IMG_20190211_134053.jpg

Those fish came from the same area you were in the other day. Temperature, minus 30 Celsius. Yes we were young and........ driven. You had 1 cast with an egg sinker rig and big goobs of cured skein. Once you realed in you removed all the ice from everything and rebaited. 2 layers of mitts and doubled up on the pocket warmers. Sun helped to keep us warm. Jason's fish was his first 15. Mine was 12. Those were the days.

Last edited:
thx there guys for the tips,,i'm gonna try the lip balm,,,good luck this week @Red Hering, Stick that was hardcore fishing back then, I remember when i was young and foolish too,,i recognize the steel tree in the backround..lol heres a photo in my younger days fishing bayfield in -15 degree weather..

Attachments

• 82-1.jpg
    82-1.jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 38
thx there guys for the tips,,i'm gonna try the lip balm,,,good luck this week @Red Hering, Stick that was hardcore fishing back then, I remember when i was young and foolish too,,i recognize the steel tree in the backround..lol heres a photo in my younger days fishing bayfield in -15 degree weather..
Thanks @poconokidII ? I will be going to Port Rowan one day through this week to have a look around to see if anyone is ice fishing,(but likely not),and then to pick up some firewood from a friend that I know while I am in that area.Then I will be back to the thames river fishing for walleye’s sometime later this week. Tight lines & good luck to you,if you do manage to get out fishing somewhere.??:cool:

Last edited:
Jojo. After very close to 50 years chasing bows, browns, nooks and hoes, thankfully, that hard-core drive has never left my heart. Now the body, well, kinda like Red Foreman,. "DUMBASS!"

hey there @Red Hering i would be able to go friday for a few casts in the thames if you would like to go,,,,Stick, ,i here you, it gets tougher each trip to do the long walks and climbs,,one day this year i put on 11000 steps chasing them there bows,,,didnt no my i phone had a step meter on it lol...Pocono

hey there @Red Hering i would be able to go friday for a few casts in the thames if you would like to go,,,,Stick, ,i here you, it gets tougher each trip to do the long walks and climbs,,one day this year i put on 11000 steps chasing them there bows,,,didnt no my i phone had a step meter on it lol...Pocono
Sounds good @poconokidII ?? and weather permitting,(snow squalls & a high of -10 predicted this friday),so far,might be freezing up the rod eye’s and floating ice likely also will be happening on the river,just saying.I will contact you this thursday to see if we should still be fishing this friday.Talk later & hopefully tight lines & walleye’s on this friday. ????

I would love to know how many casts I make in a day on the stretch where I last saw you. 500 at least is my guess.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks