Eyes on the lake August 2nd

It's currently 3:40 and I am in Port Bruce. The south west winds have the waves about 1 foot with lots of small white caps on most waves. I have a 22' boat and am not going to launch. The lake is fishable but the problem is getting out to deeper water where the fish are. Could not get up on plane and stay in the seat. That's just me.
I guess it's just me because it is now 4:25 and 3 boats are heading out. Two over 20' and one under 20'.
Good luck to everybody.

Last edited:
Choppy - Certainly looks like a 2 second period between waves. :)
Thats 9 kts but it drops to 8kts within the hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iam up at port burwell and in close it looks good. But I've seen a few boats heading out and it's choppy in 40ft plus .I see the boats bouncing from the beach.Most turn around and head back in but I've seen some fiberglass boats battle it out there.

It's a NW wind at 15-17km/hr with gusts in the high 20's. I could be sitting on the pier right now and I wouldn't be overly concerned about the wave action, but that's sitting on the pier. Further out in the lake it's bound to be a lil bumpier.

But, I'm not and I'm not sure if I will be or not. I haven't been informed what, if anything, we're going to be doing today since my wife, who is on vacation this week, hasn't decided yet, or she has, but just hasn't told me yet 🤷‍♂️. Waiting to hear those magic words I may or may not hear today :ROFLMAO:.
I did NOT hear those magic words. What I heard was, "can you go pick up the cat's pills please." :ROFLMAO: So that's what I did today

10Kts out of Burwell, 9Kts straight out of Bruce, 8 Kts out of Stanley - diminishing to 6kts for all at 9pm. Happy hour
- if you haven't tossed your cookies by then.

Just a question 🙋 Would anyone know if there is a law or a rule on how long we are only allowed to stay on the lake,such as Erie for an example to be able to fish in the dark,till perhaps up to midnight? Is there maybe a safety reason why we can’t,if there is such a law for fishing well into the night? I am just curious & Thanks in advance,for anyones reply back. 👍👍🙂

@Red Hering Often bass opener the keeners are rolling out at midnight and in by sun up inner Bay Erie. Not many outer Bay or Lakeside stay out past 10pm. Some meat jiggers in close to ports will try their luck to midnight. - Thats why they need lights on! The laws are about lights to be seen.

@Red Hering Often bass opener the keeners are rolling out at midnight and in by sun up inner Bay Erie. Not many stay out past 10pm. Some meat jiggers in close to ports will try their luck to midnight. - Thats why they needs lights on! The laws are about lights to be seen.
Thanks 🙏 @BayRunner16 for your reply back on this question. No problem about my boat not having lights,were as most boat’s are equipped with front & back Navigational lights. Plus the interior of my boat has lights as well,for my rod holder,and tackle box storage compartments as well,etc. I just got thinking about it,because one of the member’s mentioned it I believe that it was yesterday,that the walleye’s were starting to move off the bottom of Lake Erie,as it became darker. Walleye’s are nocturnal feeders,so a “night bite” would make sense,and perhaps for me or who else that might be interested in doing this as well,and to try to fish into the dark one day,weather permitting of course. 🚤🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🤞🤞👍🙂

@Red Hering , I mentioned the fish rising - as the sun drops angle into sunset. Opposite is similar for sunrise. That day the water was like glass so it made it especially true. You don't need sundown dark though. 7pm - 9m in the peak of summer at 30 feet down is dusk for walleye. In dark you lose sight fishing and it turns to vibration and cent fishing. Hard for those who want to troll from my experience. Yes I've trolled till 10pm but 9 is fine. Good luck to you.

@Red Hering , I mentioned the fish rising - as the sun drops angle into sunset. Opposite is similar for sunrise. That day the water was like glass so it made it especially true. You don't need sundown dark though. 7pm - 9m in the peak of summer at 30 feet down is dusk for walleye. In dark you lose sight fishing and it turns to vibration and cent fishing. Hard for those who want to troll from my experience. Yes I've trolled till 10pm but 9 is fine. Good luck to you.
Thanks 🙏 for clarifying that it was you @BayRunner16 👍👍🙂 Great tip’s as well,and it is just something that I thought about doing,and perhaps one evening I will. Tight lines my friend & Fish ON!! 🚤🎣🐟👍🙂

Stanley was a beaut this evening
3 person limit in about 2.5 hours of trolling not as hot as Saturday
But I didn’t get to start in my regular area as I road into the waves on the way out so it took me a bit more west then I like to be

Stanley was a beaut this evening
3 person limit in about 2.5 hours of trolling not as hot as Saturday
But I didn’t get to start in my regular area as I road into the waves on the way out so it took me a bit more west then I like to be
Good fishing there @Derkd9 👍👍 and I was wondering on how you were doing on the fishing,and also what the lake conditions was like as well. Were there many boat’s off Port Stanley,or even a lineup at the boat ramp? Thanks in advance & enjoy your walleye fry!! 🐟🐟🐟😋👍🙂

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks