Off Topic Downrigger rods for lake Erie?

Erie Twist Rods from Angling Outfitters. Another reason why I should visit there for the first time. I have 3 Shimano TDR 9' Med. I used for Ontario and Erie. This rod was cheap but even too stiff for Small Salmon. I have a 10 ' med action Fenwick moochin rod I put a level wind reel on it last year. Light and flexible for both walleye and salmon. Erie Twist rods sound light and flexible as well. What is the cost of them.
Not a fan of older TDRs or Daiwas. They feel very beefy and heavy. I actually used to have fenwick GT "downrigger" rod, probably closer to these mooching rods. I eventually sold it because it was not comfortable to hold the rod, i.e. there was so little cork after the reel, but it was a very nice rod! Will look into mooching rods... I did read somewhere that graphite rods are not a good downrigger rods as they might snap in... unless I use a very light release. Thanks. Cheers.

Last edited:
The Erie twist rods started as Walker twist rods... Then Jos had his own made with the same blanks... JLR twist... Now they are made by rapala...
I believe they are still under $50...

For the money they work awesome... I use mine for salmon as well...

As I added to my matching rods/combos... I would sell off mismatched stuff to fund the process...

I second @jammer recommendation of the Erie twist (believe they are called rapala eriecore rods) that jos has custom made. The twisted eyes actually make it easier as the rod/eyes don’t want to flip upside down in the downrigger holder or in your hand reeling a fish. Great rod for and even better price

okay I now know what these twist rods are... thank you @jammer . will have to figure out what to sell :) to fund the process... I am beginning to think that the reason Outfitters and other stores have open house days and/or special sales in April is because it is the tax refund time! :happy::happy::happy:

I actually used to have fenwick GT "downrigger" rod, probably closer to these mooching rods. I eventually sold it because it was not comfortable to hold the rod, i.e. there was so little cork after the reel, but it was a very nice rod!

And I thank you for selling them to me. They are an excellent bottom bouncer rod, work great for jets and mini dipsys and good for boards too. Your 2 gave me a matched set of 4. Not the ideal rigger rod though. The best walleye and spring salmon rod ever is the Berkeley roughneck 9 footer. I squirrel away every one I find in good condition. Shame they don’t make em anymore!

My absolute go to downrogging rod for Erie is the Fenwick steelhead and salmon downrigging rods in medium/heavy. I prefer 9 foot length. You will feel the smallest 1 lbs walleye yet has the backbone to fight a large steelhead. I also use these rods for early season salmon on lake O. I pair these rods with Takota 300 line counters.

I broke my fiber glass Fenwick rigger stik twist 9 ft med. action last year. Had that rod for over 25 years. I cried myself to sleep that night. Fenwick replaced it with the moochin rod I have now for free. They don't make downrigger rods anymore. Too bad.

I used to make custom rods(still do the odd one). I came across a moderate stash of Fenwick Fenglass blanks and did a number of custom Lake Erie rods...and still have a couple. They were similiar to a downrigger blank but with a faster action...a stiffer main body with a fast tip. I wish I still had a supply.
I like a shorter fast action rod on Lake Erie..something in the 7'-7.5', med weight, fast action. It allows you to run inline boards, dipsies, riggers, but still actually fight a walleye..with enough rod for the odd salmon or bow. The shorter length allows easier netting..especially if you run dipsies with a long leader or if you stack cheaters on a rigger line. Those 10' dipsie rods with a long leader or cheater can cause you to run out of boat in a big hurry trying to net a fish

My absolute go to downrogging rod for Erie is the Fenwick steelhead and salmon downrigging rods in medium/heavy. I prefer 9 foot length. You will feel the smallest 1 lbs walleye yet has the backbone to fight a large steelhead. I also use these rods for early season salmon on lake O. I pair these rods with Takota 300 line counters.

I am a huge fan of Fenwick rods. My vertical jigging rod is Eagle. In fact, as I mentioned earlier, I used a Eagle GT 9ft MH salmon downrigger rod as my 1st rod, but I sold it because it is not comfortable rod at all. Basically, I like to hold it with my RH at the handle after the reel, and reel in with LH. The eadr90mh-mc-2 rod is not good for this because there is almost no cork after the reel. But it is a great rod as a baitcaster I guess. I think from the Eagle, there is a 10.6 ft mooching rod that has such a handle. My hunch feeling is that I will eventually land on Earth and get a 8.6 ML new TDR :)

@one.last.cast I remember I even called one tackle shop somewhere and asked them if they can modify the handle of the Fenwick EADR90MH-MC-2 to have more space after the reel for more comfortable grip. This is technically downrigger rod although I read that people snap pure graphite rods when they jump out of the release. Not worth the money but could have been done. If you need a downrigger rod and don't mind the handle and the graphite...

@one.last.cast I remember I even called one tackle shop somewhere and asked them if they can modify the handle of the Fenwick EADR90MH-MC-2 to have more space after the reel for more comfortable grip. This is technically downrigger rod although I read that people snap pure graphite rods when they jump out of the release. Not worth the money but could have been done. If you need a downrigger rod and don't mind the handle and the graphite...

I have a couple in that style and I hear what you're saying about the short front grip especially if you have a larger downrigger style reel
I use mine with smaller profile level wind reels like Abu C3s and even small Shimano Bantam Mags but its for walleye on LSC bottom bouncing and pulling worm harnesses. I like the length and fast action

Yep... I think the gentleman who bought these rods from me, his name was also Dave... was that you @DaveJ ? :)

anyone use starfire rigger rods..was wondering which one was best they come in 7.6, 8.6, and 10.6..if anyone has any reviews id like to hear it..i want them for eyes and small salmon and bows..

Check out the Okuma Dead Eye collapsible. Fantastic rod. Those and the blue/white diamonds are my favourites. Bills bait in Hamilton has them in stock. Very cost effective as well!

I have seen these at Outfitters, right at the entrance, they are discounted I think to 29 or 39 dollars, there is a pile of them... nice rods I agree, but I would really like a 2-piece. By the way, Natural Sports have unpacked new Taloras, including the TLA90L2A. OMG, I salivated over this rod for a little bit, but... it is $159+tax, so after landing on Earth, I think I would probably go to SAIL get a TDR. Inasmuch I like Okumas, there is no 8.6ft ML rods anywhere in Canada. Getting one from US will be like another Talora... Sigh.

Any decent retailer should be able to order you the Okuma in plenty of time for the season. It seldom takes more than a couple weeks when I want omething specific from Okuma through my local shop. Talk to your local small retailer and I bet they'd be happy to help you.

Josh

Thanks John. Already called... Well it just happens that Bills Bait and Tackle have lots of stuff that is not on their website, and they just happen to have my beloved Blue Diamonds 8.6ft ML :)

If you don't find the rod you're looking for at Bill's Bait give Grimsby Tackle a call to see what he has left in stock. Last time I was there a few months back he had lots of Blue Diamonds.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks