Off Topic Downrigger rods for lake Erie?

Ive used the Starfire rods literally forever on Lake O. See my avatar photo LOL. The 8.6' works well. Lots of flex. I had something like 9 or 10 of them over the years. They are cheap but completely adequate for downrigging applications. At one time I was running 5 electric riggers off my Crestliner. (back in 90s). I decided I needed lighter gear for Lake E and outfitted with Daiwa SG27s and the Okuma Blue Diamond rods.

Playing with both brands the last few years I like the Blue Diamonds a little better. As the Starfires break, lose guides etc I am replacing with Blue Diamonds. I catch them at FishUSA on sale from time to time. Bills Bait does carry them as well and Ive bought some there as well. Price is about the same with exchange but the tax sucks.

Thank you Elmer. Nice avatar :) . I am afraid to ask how do you manage 5 downriggers... I am supposed to get today or tomorrow my latest addition - two Blue Diamond rods 8.6ft ML from Bills Bait. Can hardly wait :)

You will like those rods for Walleyes and even salmon. That vintage of Crestliner (98) has a 102" beam which helped. Today Im running 3 riggers and two dipseys on Lake O but back then before the water cleared to the point it is today you didnt need the stealthier presentation. Really wasnt that hard to manage them. My record was 4 on at once with 3 guys in the boat. We put one reel in freespool clicker, fought the other three while clearing everything and keeping the boat turning and uncrossing lines. It was just nuts. Netted the 3, and then miraculously the 4th one was still there. I will never forget the day because we were right off the Burlington canal at the old one mile buoy (not there anymore). Everyone blew past us heading for Bronte etc. I marked a ton of fish passing thru and said hell gotta try it. We just annihilated them. We were the only boat for several miles around. I put the word out to a couple friends who didnt believe me and stayed put off Bronte. We caught and released 38 mixed kings ho's and bows in less than 4 hrs. I really dont recall us not having a fish on. And I never did get 5 riggers down that day without one of the others firing first. We were back with our limit and a charter operator I wont name came stomping over to my boat at the dock and said show me all those F'ing fish you said you caught on the radio. I popped the lid on my 120 quart cooler and he about shit. Then he really got pissed when his clients saw it take 3 of us to move the cooler and they came and looked. They had 2 fish for the 5 hrs they were out. We actually became pretty good friends after that and traded a lot of info that helped us both. That was my single best day ever. Caught bigger ones, but never quantity like that.

Elmerfudd. Sounds like an awesome day you guys had. How long ago was this and what time of year was it. I would leave the Lift Bridge before dark and run out diagonal west where it would drop off faster to 90 fow. I would troll towards bronte and would always go well in front of Shell Pier. Maybe I should run straight out this year.

You will like those rods for Walleyes and even salmon. That vintage of Crestliner (98) has a 102" beam which helped. Today Im running 3 riggers and two dipseys on Lake O but back then before the water cleared to the point it is today you didnt need the stealthier presentation. Really wasnt that hard to manage them. My record was 4 on at once with 3 guys in the boat. We put one reel in freespool clicker, fought the other three while clearing everything and keeping the boat turning and uncrossing lines. It was just nuts. Netted the 3, and then miraculously the 4th one was still there. I will never forget the day because we were right off the Burlington canal at the old one mile buoy (not there anymore). Everyone blew past us heading for Bronte etc. I marked a ton of fish passing thru and said hell gotta try it. We just annihilated them. We were the only boat for several miles around. I put the word out to a couple friends who didnt believe me and stayed put off Bronte. We caught and released 38 mixed kings ho's and bows in less than 4 hrs. I really dont recall us not having a fish on. And I never did get 5 riggers down that day without one of the others firing first. We were back with our limit and a charter operator I wont name came stomping over to my boat at the dock and said show me all those F'ing fish you said you caught on the radio. I popped the lid on my 120 quart cooler and he about shit. Then he really got pissed when his clients saw it take 3 of us to move the cooler and they came and looked. They had 2 fish for the 5 hrs they were out. We actually became pretty good friends after that and traded a lot of info that helped us both. That was my single best day ever. Caught bigger ones, but never quantity like that.
Thanks for this Elmerfudd.... Well I already have salmon rods being 6x 10ft Blue Diamonds. Will look into the Eagle Claw. Was told that there is too much wobble and big salmon can snap it... I have done fishing like you had described last year with my very senior fishing buddy, who trained me to fish; he trained well, more like the former USSR red army style training ;) . He has Sportcraft, 29ft I believe, with 4 riggers, and the weights have some sort of bent wings, which I am guessing let them go sideways as they drop down. Usually he runs 4 riggers if he is not the only experienced person is on board. He told me once a story of 12 rods on his boat with his boat being basically a walleye production line where he just screaming and giving out commands :D I don't want to find myself in a situation like that! I can see this being a headache if you are alone with several newbies or just guests... Cheers.

Elmerfudd. Sounds like an awesome day you guys had. How long ago was this and what time of year was it. I would leave the Lift Bridge before dark and run out diagonal west where it would drop off faster to 90 fow. I would troll towards bronte and would always go well in front of Shell Pier. Maybe I should run straight out this year.
Sadly that was back in 2002. I’ve seen the fish stack there several times since. Need an offshore wind - out of south or southwest. It stacks cold water on south shore and it takes off. These days for fast action I run out to the blue zone.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks