Down riggers advice

Gottafish

Just bought my my first down riggers. Looking for any advice. Never fished with them before. Wondering what is a good length to let the line out before clipping it to the down rigger. Targeting pickerel. Thanks in advance.

Someone posted Rule of 100---30 out--70 down=100--or===70 out-30 down=100-----keep the total under 100---40 out/48 down is a favorite setting

30' and up don't be a scared to run out 100 to 300 from the ball get away from the boat because fish get scared off thats why some run in-line boards, use braided lines on your rods for hook set. Check often pop your line because sometimes you get swimmers going for a free ride. :D
Make sure you have someone driving the boat strait and not doing donuts because your going to tangle lines. :banghead: :eek: :D

I set mine 40-50 ft. back but when things are slow I will run them farther back. Sometimes as much as 150 ft. to get farther away from the boat. There's no set rule, whatever works best on that particular day. When fishing is slow I manually pop the riggers off from time to time and let the lure ride up in the water column which many times triggers a hit. :)

Same setup as for walleye’s 😉 as well @Gottafish (lol 😂), that @Tcat mentioned. Enjoy your new down riggers & tight lines!! 🚤🎣🐟👍🙂
I'm ready to start recommending small bucktail spinners in weedy shallows when I hear "targeting pickerel"
Don't let this American slang get to you @Gottafish. Just embrace it for the ridiculousness that it is like "Catching Deers". 😉

Congrats on the new riggers.

Thanks everyone. Some very helpful advice. I went out today (solo) thought I'd better wait until I have someone else driving (straight Hopefully) before I try them.

If you are fishing just two people you will have to plan to let the boat do it on thing when you need to deal with fish
point the boat with the wind if you can it works for me and if the fishing good just look for other boat and make small steering adjustment. NEVER CUT OF A FELLOW FISHER PERSON IN FRONT OR BEHIND

Depends on what releases you are using for what type of line. I use walker releases and I find the braid don't work in those just mono. I let out 20 arm lengths hook her up and take her down. Spoons. Use to use Erie Dearies in the 90's tipped with a big dew worm. One of these days I'm going to try that again.

Thanks everyone. Some very helpful advice. I went out today (solo) thought I'd better wait until I have someone else driving (straight Hopefully) before I try them.

Your far more likely to tangle if your running the same depths. Keep 5' of separation and there's nothing to worry about.

Josh

@Gottafish welcome to the club. I run usually 1 rigger on the bottom 10ft behind the ball, and another 10-15ft above bottom OR where the marks are, 30-70 ft behind the ball depending on the day

I set mine 40-50 ft. back but when things are slow I will run them farther back. Sometimes as much as 150 ft. to get farther away from the boat. There's no set rule, whatever works best on that particular day. When fishing is slow I manually pop the riggers off from time to time and let the lure ride up in the water column which many times triggers a hit. :)
Good advice Wave Runner, I have caught a few 6 lb. pics when releasing the clips to pull lines in and head for port.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks