Dead Walleye?

Derkd9

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I’m sure this has been debated before but

Are walleye that we release dead after you boat away??

I’ve thought this in the past but others have convinced me otherwise so I started releasing tiny ones that are caught

My colleague told me the charter captain he was with yesterday says they keep everything they catch because when released it’s dead anyways..

What do y’all believe???

All of them that I have tossed back that were too small instantly dart down and out of site. I find it hard to believe few min later they float back to the surface… but I’m not a marine biologist…

No that's crap. If they swim away they're fine. If you put them back and they're just floating belly up, the thought that they'll recover and go down may or may not be wishful thinking.

I know the depth they come from has a lot to do with it. Catch a bass on a spinnerbait in 6 fow and they stand a near %100 survival rate. Catch a king in lake O down 130 feet in 200 fow and they'll never recover.

I think a walleye caught in Lake Erie in the upper 30 feet of water stands a decent chance at survival. Impossible to know for sure though.

How many miles were you dragging it before you noticed the rod twitch? :playful:

I don't release any that are damaged. If the mouths are torn up they stay on board. Usually only release large fish anyway. ..The Pickeyes don't fight well so basically only there for the meat. 1 to 3 pounders eat the best so I keep them all. That's why I almost never bass fish. It doesn't feel right to rip the lips off a fish I don't wanna keep.

I don't release any that are damaged. If the mouths are torn up they stay on board. Usually only release large fish anyway. ..The Pickeyes don't fight well so basically only there for the meat. 1 to 3 pounders eat the best so I keep them all. That's why I almost never bass fish. It doesn't feel right to rip the lips off a fish I don't wanna keep.
I throw back the walleye that are redhot hot dog sized
That’s just too small… of course if the hook is in the gills it comes for the ride home..

The question from the OP was more geared towards the impacts of pulling them up from deep water

I agree with above, if the fish is deeper than about 30ft I question if can be released without damage to the swim bladder. Also if the fish was brought up slowly it has a much better chance. I basically keep everything unless it's really small and really spunky but honestly I don't catch many walleye that are too small.

Unless they are bleeding heavily or have barotrauma (visible air bladder popping out) their fine. Walleye are a pretty hardy fish.

Definitely sounds like athe charter captain wants to get his limits done quick and not sort for larger fish.

Josh
Thanks for the response Josh

If I think I might want to release a fish I bring it up very slowly. I check the mouth for signs of the swim bladder or other damage and if clear I release. They always dart away.

My 2 cents as a charter captain. We spend way more time on the water than most on here. Most trout probably do not survive as they come from cold to hot and spend all their energy to get away basically blowing their heart out. Walleye on my boat damaged go in the count. Small fish and I've caught some 6 inches long go back unless damaged. Don't bad rap all charters with a statement about just wanting to fill his limit that's bs. I guess if it's all about a limit of big fish only you should go buy them at the market.

I've often wondered if using the gear I use on the pier instead of the trolling gear most use today would make a difference in the fight and therefore the potential mortality rate of any released fish. With the lighter gear, doesn't it stand to reason that you won't necessarily be dragging a smaller fish for who knows how long before you noticed that rod might have a fish on it because with the lighter gear, almost any hit is going to be much more noticeable, isn't it?

I don't own any "trolling rods" of any kind. (yet ;)) I have 110 yards of line on all my reels on my fishing rods. (All but two have 10 or 15lb braid. The other two have 12lb mono because my son keeps losing/breaking his rods, ie his dog ate his ugly stik earlier this year, or so he told me,:rolleyes: and IF I take him, he doesn't like the braided line so he'll use one with the mono on it and then complain mightily when I out fish him, again:ROFLMAO:)

110 yards is 330 ft. Surely that's enough to troll with out there out of Bruce, Burwell, Glascow etc, when you consider the deepest part of the lake is only 210 ft deep off the tip of Long Point and extending east.

When I was a kid that's all we had, so that's all we used. We never had the trolling rods, the riggers, the dipseys etc and we managed to put fish in the boat (when dad had it) and if my memory is telling me the truth, they seemed to fight better on that gear than they seem to using the trolling rods etc most used today. I also know from helping land over 50 walleye off the pier with my landing net over the past 4-5 years (no I still haven't nailed one myself off the pier,) that they do seem to fight a little better, or so it appears, than they do when I've been out in the boat with others using the trolling gear.

Now that said, when reeling in a 7 or 8+lb fish (or bigger) on 10 colors, you're probably going to feel like that fish fought extraordinarily hard even if it didn't. ;)

When it comes to keeping smaller fish I catch on the pier, I generally don't like to keep perch smaller than 7 inches and even that small I try not to keep, but if they've taken the hook deep, I will, because I know, especially if they're already bleeding, they took the hook deep thus committing suicide and they're not going to survive if I release them. I would think the same thing applies to walleye and bows. If they take it deep, they're possibly not going to survive, so I'd keep them. But if it's just in their lips or the jaw bone, provided the air bladder hasn't blown, they'll likely survive IF you revive them properly before releasing, which generally means, you hold it by the tail and gently move it side to side and back and forth in the water until it swims away from you on its own.

Last edited:
My 2 cents as a charter captain. We spend way more time on the water than most on here. Most trout probably do not survive as they come from cold to hot and spend all their energy to get away basically blowing their heart out. Walleye on my boat damaged go in the count. Small fish and I've caught some 6 inches long go back unless damaged. Don't bad rap all charters with a statement about just wanting to fill his limit that's bs. I guess if it's all about a limit of big fish only you should go buy them at the market.
Thank you for your input I appreciate it

It's interesting that you guys talk about releasing small ones. I have never caught one that wasn't at least eating size and a lot that were too big to eat/ were tough.

I also don't go as far west as most of you guys do. The point is about the furthest west I go. Fort Erie is closer to me than Burwell.

So that raises the question, are east fish bigger?

It's interesting that you guys talk about releasing small ones. I have never caught one that wasn't at least eating size and a lot that were too big to eat/ were tough.

I also don't go as far west as most of you guys do. The point is about the furthest west I go. Fort Erie is closer to me than Burwell.

So that raises the question, are east fish bigger?
ill grab a photo next time I catch a tiny throw back.. they have ranged from like 8" to maybe 12-15" they love @stomp briefs

Reactions: CSM
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks