can you tell me the difference between these 2 fish?

kmaub

These are the 2 rainbows we caught today. They look different to me and when I cleaned the one fish the meat is a little whiter than I'm used to when cleaning rainbow! Whats up with that? Anyone know?
Fish #1

Fish #2

Second one looks to be still recovering from a late spawn. Likely hasn't been in the lake too long. Soft, pale and IMO poorer tasting fillets are a characteristic of both pre and post spawn steelies.

Josh

Correct me if I"m wrong...but isn"t fish #1 a steelhead...which stays in the lake...because it was planted....Fish #2 is a true rainbow and spawns in the rivers...I"m just thinking I read that somewhere...

Nice steelies there, the first one is a nice very healthy looking female and as josh said that male looks close to post spawn and in rougher body score. You will see a lot of variance in overall condition on those fish, selecting a keeper for the BBQ takes a bit of trial and error. Sure are fun to catch.

Steelie, rainbow, call them what you will.....they all spawn in the tribs.....anywhere from September till June......There are more than a few strains present in the lake, some more "domesticated" than others. Essentially the same fish tho......

Josh

first one is a coho second is a rainbow
white flesh is due to diet.
more fish = white flesh
more crustation = pink

Last edited:
BOTH are rainbows... Different strains, stages in spawning cycle, and diets also age can change the meat color and firmness... ALL rainbow/steelhead run a migratory route...

definetly both rainbows, and the white meat is due to diet and post spawn. the natrual feed in the lake is different from that in the river and the strain on the system some time cause the dicoloration of flesh due to diet . see below

Wild rainbow trout that eat scuds (freshwater shrimp), insects such as flies, and crayfish are the most appealing. Dark red/orange meat indicates that it is either an anadromous steelhead or a farmed Rainbow trout given a supplemental diet with a high astaxanthin content. The resulting pink flesh is marketed under monikers like Ruby Red or Carolina Red.

Steelhead meat is pink like that of salmon, and is more flavorful than the light-colored meat of rainbow trout

In the wild or on the farm, the color of a trout's flesh depends on its food supply. A naturally occurring pigment called astaxanthin, found in many crustaceans, accumulates in the flesh of salmon and trout that eat them, and this pigment is the source of the orange-red color typical of salmon. Wild rainbow trout in fresh water eat a mixture of insects and small crustaceans, which gives the meat a light pink color. Their seagoing cousins, salmon and steelhead (the latter a rainbow trout that has migrated to the ocean), eat a higher proportion of crustaceans, mainly small shrimp and their smaller relatives called krill, and have resultingly darker orange meat.

The vast majority of farmed rainbow trout get a diet based on grain and fish meal, and they have pale-colored meat that cooks up to an ivory color. But if you feed them salmon feed, which includes a synthetic form of astaxanthin, the meat takes on a typical salmon color, and to my taste, a slightly fuller, more salmonlike flavor as well. Most Western trout farms now produce at least part of their crop in the salmon-colored form, sometimes labeled "steelhead" even if they have never seen salt water.

Determination of astaxanthin stereoisomers and colour attributes in flesh of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) as a tool to distinguish the dietary pigmentation source.

The presence of carotenoids in animal tissue reflects their sources along the food chain. Astaxanthin, the main carotenoid used for salmonid pigmentation, is usually included in the feed as a synthetic product. However, other dietary sources of astaxanthin such as shrimp or krill wastes, algae meal or yeasts are also available on the market. Astaxanthin possesses two identical asymmetric atoms at C-3 and C-3' making possible three optical isomers with all-trans configuration of the chain: 3S,3'S, 3R,3'S, and 3R,3'R. The distribution of the isomers in natural astaxanthin differs from that of the synthetic product. This latter is a racemic mixture, with a typical ratio of 1:2:1 (3S,3'S:3R,3'S:3R,3'R), while astaxanthin from natural sources has a variable distribution of the isomers deriving from the different biological organism that synthesized it. The high-performance liquid chromatographic (HPLC) analysis of all-trans isomers of astaxanthin was performed in different pigment sources, such as red yeast Phaffia rhodozyma, alga meal Haematococcus pluvialis, krill meal and oil, and shrimp meal. With the aim to investigate astaxanthin isomer ratios in flesh of fish fed different carotenoid sources, three groups of rainbow trout were fed for 60 days diets containing astaxanthin from synthetic source, H. pluvialis algae meal and P. rhodozyma red yeast. Moreover, the distribution of optical isomers of astaxanthin in trout purchased on the Italian market was investigated. A characteristic distribution of astaxanthin stereoisomers was detected for each pigment sources and such distribution was reproduced in the flesh of trout fed with that source. Colour values measured in different sites of fillet of rainbow trout fed with different pigment sources showed no significant differences. Similarly, different sources of pigment (natural or synthetic) produced colour values of fresh fillet with no relevant or significant differences. The coefficient of distance computed amongst the feed ingredient and the trout fillet astaxanthin stereoisomers was a useful tool to identify the origin of the pigment used on farm.

hope this helps

chef

I raised farm trout for four years. They were all fed the same pellet diet, all in the same pond, yet some had a whiter flesh and some had a redder flesh. I always wondered about that, interesting thing is they were all fed the same thing but different colour of flesh. I always attributed that to genetic strains.

Is that you in the picture Bill
Yes that is me...& who might you be ?
I had another great day on the water yesterday...I caught both bows - the nicer looking one came as the 2nd 1/2 of a double header. Rick was "up" 'cause I got the first bow and he had a silver bass on full leadcore when the inline board with an orange reef runner started peeling off line...that RR has caught a good number of early morning walleye for me so I had predicted we'd get at least one fish but I was pretty surprised that I was able to land the 'bow even with having to put the rod down and take the board off myself ( remember Rick was still reeling (& reeling & reeling) in the silver at this point ). It decided to put in a good effort once it got close to the boat - fun ! Bows on reef runners ...who knew?
We're having fish tacos tonight yay!

The second fish looks like a it could be a Skamania.They're a hybrid Rainbow/Salmon farmed on the U.S. side of Erie.

Skamania are a strain of Steelhead. There are no salmon/trout hybrids. There are no Skamania "farms". There are no Skamania planted into any Erie tribs. Any Skamania in Erie would have to find their way into the lake via the Welland canal or make there way down through the lakes from plantings done in lake Michigan.....

Josh

Skamania are a strain of Steelhead. There are no salmon/trout hybrids. There are no Skamania "farms". There are no Skamania planted into any Erie tribs. Any Skamania in Erie would have to find their way into the lake via the Welland canal or make there way down through the lakes from plantings done in lake Michigan.....

Josh

True for the most part... There is also a private club on the American side of Erie that still dabbles with Skamania's...

skamiies are in the huron system, put there 10 years ago. i run into the odd mental case skammie on the saugeen once in a while. and with that big eye on it might be a cross breed with a regular steel head . drefinte possibilitiy. i have only caught 2 in my life time and if you hook one you know it, your in for the steelhead ride of your life . i hooked one in the fishemans park 14 pounds and landed him half way to the graveyard. never forget that airborne acorbatics ever . it plays over in my mind, was like a freshwater tarpon hahahaha

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks