can you tell me the difference between these 2 fish?

skamiies are in the huron system, put there 10 years ago. i run into the odd mental case skammie on the saugeen once in a while. and with that big eye on it might be a cross breed with a regular steel head . drefinte possibilitiy. i have only caught 2 in my life time and if you hook one you know it, your in for the steelhead ride of your life . i hooked one in the fishemans park 14 pounds and landed him half way to the graveyard. never forget that airborne acorbatics ever . it plays over in my mind, was like a freshwater tarpon hahahaha

Second one looks to be still recovering from a late spawn. Likely hasn't been in the lake too long. Soft, pale and IMO poorer tasting fillets are a characteristic of both pre and post spawn steelies.

Josh

Josh has it nailed, just a recovering droppy from the rigours of the spring spawning run.

The first is a coho. Its mouth inside is black as evident in the photo.
Thanks Dr. fish ( chef) on the chemistry lesson of farm food.
Perhaps one fish just finished in the river and ate scuds/crustaceans and the second has been in the lake for a couple years ( pre-spawn age )(coho) and is white from feeding on lake baitfish?
Doesn't anyone remember what a coho looks like in lake Erie?
By the way - I have eaten trout from streams a mile apart and one fish had white flesh and one blood red. Second stream has no bait fish only insects and crustaceans.
Diet is everything. Colour, flavour and texture depends on diet. Farmers take note.

@IndianDam Sorry #1 is not a Coho. Radiating rows on both upper and lower lobes of the tail show that. Cohos only have spots on the top half of the tail.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks