Building a Worm Harness?

Sorry Beanstir didn't realize db charged so much to ship to canada.. I always bought from them at shows in Michigan. Now I use there colour charts and paint my own.. honestly though I haven't used a harness in a couple years.. and I don't think it will matter what you throw at them this year with what the numbers of eyes are in those lakes. Pm me when your coming down to erieau area if I'm not working I'll take you out on my boat and we can go pull crankbaits!

God I hate using worms.....thankfully much experimentation with dragging blades has 100% convinced me modern artificials are without a doubt as effective as the real thing when using harnesses.

Josh

Thanks Chipper1 for the offer. Maybe we can trade a walleye troll for a day rigging for spring salmon in Owen Sound. I am retiring in time for the spring fishing season. Should be on the bite this year when I have 7 days a week to get out.

hey bryon...how many spawn bags do ya go thru in an outing.. say with a buddy...lots...on LSC on my boat fishin we take the 6 dozen worms...so we don't run out..and most days its not hard to use most of them up...its a mutli species lake...from perch to musky..and settin the hook on weeds is a No No...honestly give LSC a try sometime...;)
I read an article from the ‘Man’ Gord Pyzer about crawler harness issues with losing worms to tail nippers and junk fish. He claimed that by switching to rubber worms that he actually increased his catch rates, obviously not because the fish liked them better but because his rigs stayed in the water ALOT longer throughout the course of a day. So on northern lakes this summer I tried it because we have issues with rock bass. Not only did it work but in all honesty the eyes liked them just as much if not more. The first few machine gun rock bass hits I got I brought in and sure enough the rubber worm was still there holding on tight. So I started leaving it out and what were 8-10 Walleye evenings turned into 20+. I rarely use real worms now. The best ones by far are the Northland Impulse night crawlers. They’re deadly, try them.

My wife ties mine.I do know that the beads are out of my daughter craft set from 20 years ago.The blades are toonie size.
You definitely have a great wife there @big rod!! (y);) She ties your worm harnesses?? o_O(y) She is a keeper for sure!! LOL :giggle:(y):)

very good info you got here...
just to add...
light line spinning tackle for june post spawn pics is a must do for me...like chipper said LSC & and west of peele on erie ..like Leamington is loaded with stupid hungry fish...date & location is everything..

I go way back from the days of the "go getters" single colarado blade and when the erie dearie was new..
for years now I use willow leaf wormharness blades usually off bottombouncers for both waters...for even less resistance on 8lb gamma...the toms forward weight spinner is a top favourite some days for us on LSC....colours differ on the day...the greens & the red and sometimes purple...we usually can burn up to 6 dozen worms for a 2 man LSC pic limit..
jigs (& with minnows) & cranks & body baits are our earliest baits into May..
erieau & wheatly has great fishing early rainbows and lots of pics later July...I fish there before and after the Erieau July derby...last season was SS copper spoons clean off the riggers...

you can review historic fishing reports on
Erieau Marina site
Wheatly Harbour Authority site
As always @mick Excellent tip’s & Fish ON!! (y):)

I was hoping to get a little advise on worm harnesses to be used late next spring and early summer. I plan on trying to go to the Erieau area to try my luck. I had some success in a northern lake using a number 5 blade with number 6 beads. This successful day was the first and only time I have used a worm harness. This is why I am asking for some help. I was wondering if I should go to a number 6 blade? Or smaller blade? I have read that the colour gold is good? The usual number 6 beads? Florouçarbon line in 15 pound? Any tips on building a worm harness would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Beanstir
X2 Or 3 or 4 on luremaking.com. Great product line, great prices and quick and inexpensive shipping. In terms of colours I haven’t fished Erie a whole lot but I’ve fished northern lakes since I was knee high to a grasshopper. I those lakes we almost 100% use unpainted blades, either gold, copper or silver in smooth and hammered, I’ve never seen a painted blade outperform unpainted on northern lakes. I know it doesn’t seem as interesting but it works. Now Erie I know you typically upsize to 5 and 6, and bright loud colours seem to be more prevalent. But I would never hesitate to put a bright flashy unpainted blade into the spread on any body of water. IMO I would definitely take the popular painted blades but definitely don’t leave home without unpainted.

Here's a couple of spin and glow harnesses, I use the bigger ones on Lake Erie, smaller ones on inland lakes up north. They are floats so they ride up a bit higher than blades which is great trolling weeds up north. Use a little extra weight on Erie and a little shorter lead. You can run them a little faster which is great for guys having problems getting the boat to go slow enough for blades. I hear these are great for trout in the rivers but never tried.

IMG_3333.JPG

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks