Bowfin caught

canslayer

Caught a Bowfin last week & pulled it in & have never seen 1 of them b4 in my life...Thought I had an invasive species or something...also thought I had a lamprey till I saw its mouth...But found out it is native here.....Many of you guys ever get them ? Caught it in the boathouse on Dickenson Creek....LPB

another name for the bowfin is dogfish...they can put up a good fight and pull drag... fun to catch on light spinning gear...I remember catchin them in the canals off LSC and lots up in a place called Honey Harbour on Georgian Bay when we were kids....my dad would cut the line as he would not let us land the dogfish!...whata whimp...lol..

I got one on a spinnerbait in front of the cottages a few years back. Thought it was a sheepshead until it came to the boat. Had a good look and released it unharmed.

Used to catch lots in Honey Harbour at a place called South Bay.Caught them at night with a small bait fish just below a bobber in shallow water.Some were ten pounds,put up a great fight.

Wow ten pounds!... I bet me and my 2 little brothers had 10 pounders on like that too..I remember are little rods bent right over...when we were kids the dogfish were like catchin whales...and when my dad cut the line.. we were bummed right out..:(:(:(

Last edited:
I caught a Bowffin(Dogfish) out of my kayak in front of Long Point Bay using a spinnerbait while fishing for Largemouth Bass in early August.I thought at first it was a good size Largemouth Bass,and I was amazed on how hard it fought.After looking at it for a few seconds I released it.

i hope u didnt release it alive.

What do you suggest doing with them out of curiousity?

Largest one I've seen was ice fishing Rondeau. Good battle on 2lb and a single action reel fishing perch!

There's a fair number in long point. I believe couchiching has good numbers. Also lots in the lakes on the Rankin river system.

Josh

I caught one this year out by big creek channel, got it on the top water, destroyed my frog and put up a good fight. Hit about 6' from the boat! I heard they are good to eat is that true ?

Looked it up on the net Bowfin recipes.Some say good some say no good.May be like silver bass some say good some say terrible.All comes down to your taste buds and preference in taste.I think they maybe related to Burbot and Ling which people do eat.Try one and you will no.

My buddy caught one at Bluff Bar this summer. he thought he had a pike. He released it unharmed. I read they taste better smoked. My cousins catch big ones in Mississippi out in the Gulf.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks