Any small game Hunters here..

Back in the early 80"s, I was living down Essex way, and there was a bounty, not sure if it was coyotes or fox, guessing both. There was a local gang there, used to take what they got to the next twsp office over to collect bounty. A couple of ladies worked there, to get the bounty the ears were supposed to be clipped, well no way they were touching them and would just pay out. The gang would then return to the twsp office were they lived and collect again. Built their gangs kitty up alot quicker.

The coyote hunting practices is hunting multiple concessions with hunters sitting parked connected by radio communication with some having loaded firearms in the vehicle and there is alot more to it then that..and some know its been going on for a long time..The MNR says they had contact with 58 hunters..its not hard to figure out..
I suppose I don’t really understand the benefit of truck hunting coyote

I do enjoy small game hunting. I usually get out a few times for squirrel but don't go after rabbits until duck and deer close.

I've never been much of a coyote hunter but I've tried calling them a couple times with no success. I'm not sure how guys get permission to run dogs across multiple concessions with 50 landowners to coordinate with. I'm guessing very few get the permission. More than a couple have run through my place without asking.

I'm getting lost on this topic . Are we talking about rabbit and game bird hunting or the pressure the predators have put on most species of small game and upland birds ,which has become mora obvious for anyone who hunts them . I thought at one point , there was a general invite to drive up to your area as everything seems more abundant up that way . I'll just be happy to get out hunting tomorrow ( other than deer ) for the first time this season . Between weather , job and what seems like an endless list of stuff to do around the house , it will be a welcome change . And yes , I also hear there has been a bit of an increase in grouse sightings . Let you know if it holds true .LOL By the way does anyone have a simple recipe for squirrels ?

I made up this recipe myself , pretty simple. I usually do this with a couple squirrels cut into pieces but you could do as many as you want .I just put pieces in a pot cover with apple juice I add a clove of garlic or 2 and bring to a boil reduce heat to a simmer til fork tender ,remove squirrel then add brown sugar stir to mix in then add squirrel back in cook just to cover and let cool , the mixture will candy coat the pieces . I call it sweet and sticky squirrel .

I also have just marinated squirrel in apple cider over night then bacon wrapped on the BBQ . it's been a hit also. the trick with squirrel is low and slow other wise it gets a little rubbery i find.
I did a couple squirrel morel pies last lock down that where some of the best eating I've ever had , but making the crust is not something I'm good at , so I wouldn't call that one easy lol .

I made up this recipe myself , pretty simple. I usually do this with a couple squirrels cut into pieces but you could do as many as you want .I just put pieces in a pot cover with apple juice I add a clove of garlic or 2 and bring to a boil reduce heat to a simmer til fork tender ,remove squirrel then add brown sugar stir to mix in then add squirrel back in cook just to cover and let cool , the mixture will candy coat the pieces . I call it sweet and sticky squirrel .

I also have just marinated squirrel in apple cider over night then bacon wrapped on the BBQ . it's been a hit also. the trick with squirrel is low and slow other wise it gets a little rubbery i find.
I did a couple squirrel morel pies last lock down that where some of the best eating I've ever had , but making the crust is not something I'm good at , so I wouldn't call that one easy lol .
Thanks Juger . I appreciate the info . Have to write these down . Only thing I might add is a little sting to this sweet and sticky .

Squirrels are in season until Dec 31. Mine are still fattening up on sunflower seeds for a few more days.
We enjoy a good feed of squirrel and wild backyard bunny.
Cheers

Squirrels are in season until Dec 31. Mine are still fattening up on sunflower seeds for a few more days.
We enjoy a good feed of squirrel and wild backyard bunny.
Cheers
Just bagged my first yesterday and he was a fatty .

Used to eat squirrels but haven't in a long time? may have to start though?
They're attacking my bird feeder's on mass this yr, they hang on the deck and they never bothered them before, this yr, full assault.
So yesterday I set up the " squirrel spanker", yard stick nailed to post, pulled back bow tight and set with a string trigger to inside the house.
When they're attack started a few day's back, if you even went to the window they scattered to the hills, now the little bast&^%$'s go 20 ft away and reform they're front line?
Haven't got they chance to use the "Spanker" yet, seem's the little buggers watched the same Utube vid that I did, but they'll slip up, time and patience.

I suppose I don’t really understand the benefit of truck hunting coyote
Derick, the gang here don't only truck hunt. They have permission's here for a few concessions around my place. Any they don't have the ok for, they stay clear. They hunt sometimes with hounds or just leg work, walking and howling.
Just to be clear, when I first moved here, I battled with them, stay the hell off my turf? 20 yrs later, alot of dead stock and a heard of grand kids now , yey, shoot them yotes.
The group here is'nt sitting and sipping on back road's, cop's and MNR watch pretty close for that.
I'm totally against deer drives, made that clear here before, but yotes, shoot them.
Since snow on the ground, they took 7 out of my hood, and 3 more today

@can't miss yah I read some old threads about deer drives I’m all up to speed on your take on deer drives.
I participate in deer drives with the group I hunt black powder with. Mid day after lunch before the evening sit. Our goal is to lightly bump the deer out of the gully. Sometimes don’t even have to walk threw if the wind blowing the right way that’s all it takes is sending our sent in. The idea being that the deer aren’t running 100mile an hour when they in position to get shot.
other thing we do is try and set up in the next bedding area, so they run 100miles an hour from one safe area to the next and stop and that’s when we take the shot.
But 99% of our deer are taken while sitting and waiting At first light and last light.

Do the guys on your concession have much success truck hunting coyote? Is the idea to drive around until they see a coyote hop out of the truck get legally off the road and shoot?

I’d like to get in on some coyote hunting!?

I don’t like what they do to the turkey populations, and I hate hearing about them taking out livestock and peoples pets!
I heard coyotes taking out a neighbour’s dog the other night, I’m not really even in the country really. Sounded like they came off the old tracks and into someone’s backyard on shady lane.. wish there was something I could have done.. worst sound ever hearing a small dog getting mauled

Derick, the gang here don't only truck hunt. They have permission's here for a few concessions around my place. Any they don't have the ok for, they stay clear. They hunt sometimes with hounds or just leg work, walking and howling.
Just to be clear, when I first moved here, I battled with them, stay the hell off my turf? 20 yrs later, alot of dead stock and a heard of grand kids now , yey, shoot them yotes.
The group here is'nt sitting and sipping on back road's, cop's and MNR watch pretty close for that.
I'm totally against deer drives, made that clear here before, but yotes, shoot them.
Since snow on the ground, they took 7 out of my hood, and 3 more today
Lots in Putnam. Hear them almost every night. Go get em !!

DerKd I wouldn't risk road hunting. You can loose your firearm and your hunting privedges..You get caught the MNR will give you a good work over..call the MNR and ask what your planning to do..if you think you can out smart them go for it..

On the watch
You cannot have a loaded firearm in or on any motor vehicle, whether the vehicle is running or not. This means that you cannot use your ATV, snowmobile, or truck as a watch seat. Although this is right in the hunting regulations, it’s a common infraction.

DerKd I wouldn't risk road hunting. You can loose your firearm and your hunting privedges..You get caught the MNR will give you a good work over..call the MNR and ask what your planning to do..if you think you can out smart them go for it..

On the watch
You cannot have a loaded firearm in or on any motor vehicle, whether the vehicle is running or not. This means that you cannot use your ATV, snowmobile, or truck as a watch seat. Although this is right in the hunting regulations, it’s a common infraction.
@mick no worries I would never break any firearms laws. or hunt in an illegal way

I enjoy all my firearms, my truck and my hunting gear and my freedoms.
I am just curious how those guys truck hunt while coyote hunting. @can't miss was saying they coyote hunt other ways too

Thats good to hear Derkd ..The MNR enforcement here in the southwest are very strict..and with all the hunting laws. Including tresspassing. They will call in the OPP when other laws are broken.

I started and had a discussion with the newest MNR enforcement officer from Aylmer district during the last week of the controled hunts..She was filling up the gas tank to full for the next busy work enforcement day.. She mentioned they been very busy checking the regular hunters and some new hunters..i thought okay
it was not hard to pickup there enforcement was also busy writing out fines and doing double duty contacting the OPP where necessary
for 2021 the MNR & OPP are still out with enforcement... if you plan on traveling in Ontario to go fishing and or hunting...dont be suprised and prepare for a double MNR & OPP road block and they are checking for everything..depending on where and when and what fishermen and or hunters are traveling with.
MNR enforcement sometimes team up with OPP out there on the water or MNR are waiting for you at the dock..

If there is an ice fishing season and lots of activity..MNR will hit it on a saturday going from groups to singles to hut to hut.. by ATV...or MNR & OPP road block leaving going up the hill..or out of town around the corner..

If your running your sled or ATV no helmet fine is how much now

I have road traveled alot for fishing & hunting and I try to avoid the drama with enforcement..and there are ways to do it

Right now it is not even worth leaving home unless you have to work.

@mick
Yah I’ve been stopped by mnr walking out to a spot during black powder last year
It’s easy carry all required paper work, don’t trespass and you are on your way within 5min. Thank you sir/mam have a nice day
I guess some people just like to push their luck?
I imagine a truck stop would scare off a skiddish coyote which I can’t really imagine them standing in an open field with day light. All the times I’ve been hunting deer, turkey, or moose and even coyote hunting once, I’ve only seen a coyote once, even tho I’ve heard them many many times

hey derkd...I could not imagine bringing back a decayed moose antler with offensive odour and going through an MNR & OPP road block that is a reality and try an explain that to enforcement..

hey derkd...I could not imagine bringing back a decayed moose antler with offensive odour and going through an MNR & OPP road block that is a reality and try an explain that to enforcement..
@mick
I simply registered it online
Took 10mins and they emailed the possession documents.
easy peasy all 100% legal
They could stop me. Smell, find it and nothing they could charge me with

steps on how to register can be found in this link

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks