Any small game Hunters here..

mick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
After the first snow fall that grips and holds with cold temperatures to follow a few days after is really is some of the best times to hunt a variety of small game on the next sunny day..Usually cottontail rabbits are abundant at this time of year depending on the season.. rabbits offer great sport and are in prime condition to harvest for eating..Out rabbit hunting sometimes we have shot ruffed grouse & nice big pheasants.. and the odd mallard and black duck...We like the heavy cover gullys with open feeder streams..
We have taken many limits of early season rabbits over many seasons with either 12 guage pump and .410 pump..The 12 guage is better all around especially when you flush out a jack rabbit taking off across a field..Big Jacks are a great target and we hunted them specifically with magnum heavy shot loads..

We checked and know the open seasons and limits..
rabbit limit is 5 per day..

Any small game hunters here that hunt rabbits and game birds after a snowfall

Last edited:
I'm not seeing as many bunnies as I did earlier in the year ? Too many coyotes nearby ? There have been sightings of a partridge in the area which has been void of them for years. Looks like I will be varmint hunting instead. Noticing a lot of racoons out in daylight and some acting messed up (distemper ?)

Been rabbit hunting a couple times around the farm last year but with a few guys still trying to bow hunt deer normally wait until January,

I have been wanting to hunt some coyotes
Bought an electronic call couple years ago. Used it once didn’t see any that day.
But I’d love to give it a try again.

We got some good hunting bush in 92D and west in, C ,B with landowner permission..
in town here in my neighbourhood theres racoons & skunks
that we don't need
but its nice to have the rabbits here..
coyotes continue to be a nuisance...ya january is a good time to harvest them..

We got some good hunting bush in 92D and west in, C ,B with landowner permission..
in town here in my neighbourhood theres racoons & skunks
that we don't need
but its nice to have the rabbits here..
coyotes continue to be a nuisance...ya january is a good time to harvest them..
I have an aylmer district crown land book, but have been hesitant to check some of the spots out
Afraid there be extreme pressure in these bush with possessive hunters that think they own the land. I know they technically can’t harass me if I was there first but honestly don’t want the hassle

Wish they would allow discharge of firearms in some areas that have too much of everything that we would like to hunt

all along its been retaining landowner permission..and I had a big circle of friends that hunt..plenty of bush to hunt..getting to know the land owners and farmers is how..

Last edited:
I have one of those electronic motion tail devices too. Plus I know a butcher to get leftover bambi bones/heads to use as bait. I have a wooden platform treestand on a cornfield looking south out over the lake. Maybe after the Controlled Hunt ?

It seems that are MNR was encouraging hunters to hunt rabbit..
offering a recipe that calls for Ontario ingredients

I found this recipe in the 2019 Ontario Hunting Regulation Paper copy
Apple Whisky Grilled Rabbit
it calls for 3 lbs of Ontario rabbit cut into 8 pieces (2 rabbits)
and a half a cup of Ontario whisky
Ontario apple cider
Ontario onion
Ontario apple
Ontario garlic
and several other ingredients..
3 paragraphs on how to prepare the cooking method
and includes the nutritional values
if your interested in the recipe its the first page of the advertising section after page 48..

The mnr is also encouraging us to hunt coyote. By changing the regulations that allow us to now hunt with a rifle during a big game open season

At one time some townships were paying out bountys to a small number of registered hunters/trappers for turning in coyotes..That was north of London not to long ago..

Coyote hunting has become a big sport locally..
does there seem to be a problem here..

Multiple Charges Laid in Coyote Hunting Enforcement Blitz in Southwestern Ontario​

hunting practices by coyote hunters, conservation officers conducted a plainclothes enforcement operation on February 7, 8 and 9, 2020.
The charges were laid in Chatham-Kent, Essex, and Lambton counties. A total of 16 charges were issued during the three-day blitz.

Hi Derkd you can google that headline and read the details

@mick I read that now, basically a bunch of idiots giving hunters a bad name 👎

Ontario conservation officers have laid 16 charges and issued seven warnings during a three-day coyote hunting enforcement blitz in Chatham-Kent, Essex and Lambton counties.
In response to an increase in unsafe hunting practices by coyote hunters, conservation officers conducted a plainclothes enforcement operation on February 7, 8 and 9, 2020. Officers contacted approximately 58 hunters during the operation that focused on public safety.
The following charges were laid under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act and the Liquor Licence Act:
  • Thirteen charges for having a loaded firearm in a vehicle
  • Two charges for hunting a furbearing mammal without a licence
  • One charge for having an open container of liquor in a motor vehicle
Conservation officers issued seven warnings for failing to have small game licence on person and failing to have firearms licence on person while hunting with a gun.
After laying the charges, conservation officers seized firearms and ammunition as evidence.
The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry reminds the public that natural resource laws are in place to ensure public safety and ethical hunting practices.

Last edited:
Part of our dollars we pay through our hunting and fishing licences goes to our MNR to conduct enforcement.

When an Ontario resident goes hunting and fishing here in Ontario there is a risk of being charged.

The MNR has recently come out with more laws and has increased fines X2.

Im actually surprised there was only 1 alcohol charge. I've heard quite a few stories of drunks driving around road hunting.

They seem to change laws often and don’t really highlight them too well

this is the recent change to firearms for hunting wolf and coyote during and open season for big game

just have that little red flag that says new
I think they should make a whole section of the book for highlighting changes made to summaries

7D29FD17-A864-4685-AF35-D997EB7B2386.png

Im actually surprised there was only 1 alcohol charge. I've heard quite a few stories of drunks driving around road hunting.
The coyote hunting practices is hunting multiple concessions with hunters sitting parked connected by radio communication with some having loaded firearms in the vehicle and there is alot more to it then that..and some know its been going on for a long time..The MNR says they had contact with 58 hunters..its not hard to figure out..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks