Any small game Hunters here..

@mick i don’t think a lot of people know this
But legally they can’t go for a walk on their own property and find a dead Buck and keep the head without registering it.

That website where you register the dead animal
Is the same account where you’re suppose to get a permit for camping on crown land. So many people should be familiar with it. Seeing as I saw like a hundred people camping on or around crown land on that moose hunting trip

Derkd9, I'm by no way a expert on yote hunting, I just take a stand at the back of my place when they push this block. They usually give me a 10 min warning before hunt starts. It's worked a few times, and it's pretty cool to just be out there hearing the hounds at work.
The group here are well versed on the grounds they work, were to take a stand, were the yotes usually run, and most importantly were everyone else is. They have some permission's that are on-going, other's they check in with land owner's each hunt. They do circle the block with vehicles, but they are all well out past the fence ln's, I've never seen any shoot from the road. They seem to get checked regularly by OPP or MNR, never heard of any infractions being laid. I know a couple of the local police, and yes they do get calls from the non-hunting public, same public that panic's every time a yote is spotted near a town?
There's coyote hunt gangs everywhere, if your interested, some Saturday morning just take a drive around with a 2-way radio on ch monitor, you'll find them. Shoot the shit with them, most are always happy for another set of legs, that said, sure there are bad apples as well, just saying, you'll want to be choosey depending how they work their hunts.
Another option, just grab one of those rabbit distress calls, I've gotten some shooting that way, when it works, unreal how fast they showed up.

I'm getting lost on this topic . Are we talking about rabbit and game bird hunting or the pressure the predators have put on most species of small game and upland birds ,which has become mora obvious for anyone who hunts them . I thought at one point , there was a general invite to drive up to your area as everything seems more abundant up that way . I'll just be happy to get out hunting tomorrow ( other than deer ) for the first time this season . Between weather , job and what seems like an endless list of stuff to do around the house , it will be a welcome change . And yes , I also hear there has been a bit of an increase in grouse sightings . Let you know if it holds true .LOL By the way does anyone have a simple recipe for squirrels ?
Cut up amd boil then place on cookie sheet witj le grill spice cook until crispy serve in honey ggarlic sauce ot mix a stick of butter with a jar of franks red-hot for a buffalo squirrel

Now that there sounds like another winner . A few questions - How long to boil . So assuming since they are going on a cookie sheet , it means they are going in the oven . What temp . and for how long . Was told they get chewy if cooked too quick or too high temp .

Derkd9, I'm by no way a expert on yote hunting, I just take a stand at the back of my place when they push this block. They usually give me a 10 min warning before hunt starts. It's worked a few times, and it's pretty cool to just be out there hearing the hounds at work.
The group here are well versed on the grounds they work, were to take a stand, were the yotes usually run, and most importantly were everyone else is. They have some permission's that are on-going, other's they check in with land owner's each hunt. They do circle the block with vehicles, but they are all well out past the fence ln's, I've never seen any shoot from the road. They seem to get checked regularly by OPP or MNR, never heard of any infractions being laid. I know a couple of the local police, and yes they do get calls from the non-hunting public, same public that panic's every time a yote is spotted near a town?
There's coyote hunt gangs everywhere, if your interested, some Saturday morning just take a drive around with a 2-way radio on ch monitor, you'll find them. Shoot the shit with them, most are always happy for another set of legs, that said, sure there are bad apples as well, just saying, you'll want to be choosey depending how they work their hunts.
Another option, just grab one of those rabbit distress calls, I've gotten some shooting that way, when it works, unreal how fast they showed up.
Agree w/cm . Can always another set of eyes .

1609454512869.png

By killing coyotes, hunters give an unnecessary foothold to species lower in the food chain, and nature responds by creating more coyotes to control those populations. Therefore, the go-to reason for coyote-killing is, in effect, a great reason not to kill them.

Same logic different day...

fatal tapeworm spread by foxes, coyotes discovered in Ontario...​

Over two winters, the research team collected the carcasses of 460 foxes and coyotes, which belong to the wild canid family, and examined their intestines. They found 23 per cent of them tested positive for E. multilocularis. The first case was identified in 2012 in five dogs, as well as three other species in southern Ontario.

One thing the Guelph study does show is that something has changed from an ecological standpoint, the fact that the parasite is spreading is increasing the risk to both people and animals.

"In any case, it's a type of infection you don't want."

Signs and symptoms
Abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting are commonly seen when hydatids occur in the liver. If the lung is affected, clinical signs include chronic cough, chest pain and shortness of breath.
March 23, 2020

I would wear gloves handling dragging out your coyote and skinning it out..
myself I don't fit in that group killing coyote.. is not my style...I hunted and killed big timber wolf way up and way more sport..
been there done that..I hunt the top apex predator..and all in

my neighbour called me last night if i wanted and to come out and pickup a fresh road kill deer a doe...I said no..
I explained I took the insurance off my truck..
good luck with the road kill recipes..lol

View attachment 35756

By killing coyotes, hunters give an unnecessary foothold to species lower in the food chain, and nature responds by creating more coyotes to control those populations. Therefore, the go-to reason for coyote-killing is, in effect, a great reason not to kill them.

Over two winters, the research team collected the carcasses of 460 foxes and coyotes, which belong to the wild canid family, and examined their intestines. They found 23 per cent of them tested positive for E. multilocularis. The first case was identified in 2012 in five dogs, as well as three other species in southern Ontario.

One thing the Guelph study does show is that something has changed from an ecological standpoint, the fact that the parasite is spreading is increasing the risk to both people and animals.

Signs and symptoms
Abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting are commonly seen when hydatids occur in the liver. If the lung is affected, clinical signs include chronic cough, chest pain and shortness of breath.
March 23, 2020

myself I don't fit in that group killing coyote.. is not my style...I hunted and killed big timber wolf way up and way more sport..

my neighbour called me last night if i wanted and to come out and pickup a fresh road kill deer a doe...I said no..
Yah no thanks on the road kill

View attachment 35756

Signs and symptoms
March 23, 2020

A thousand years ago (ok, not quite a thousand...more like 25+) when living in Northeastern BC, I worked in the oil patch...that and being a very avid outdoorsman. For this, was on the back roads (hell, anything >1km off the Alaska Highway qualifies as a "back road") nearly every day. With no shortage of all manner of game of all sizes...especially in the winter....I used to travel with a can of spray paint. Going 'up' a road, I'd spray a marker on the 'choice' road kills (mule and whitetail, moose, elk, etc.)....and on the way down, any RKs not marked would be fresh....and, yep, I'd harvest em (after an inspection to make sure they are worth the effort). Huge source of free meat!

King Joe Outa Here!

I’ve known a few people that were on a call list for local roadkill, as long as the deer was hit in the right spot and guts weren’t spilled everywhere and fresh nothing wrong with the meat! He always had a pack of venison snack stix at work lol
Im not interested in some of the items on @mick list there like the
“Chunk of skunk”
“Collie hit by a trolly”
“Rigormortis tortouse”
“flat cat”
Stuff like that no thanks I’ll pass
Lmao

Made my Bride road kill pheasant dinner for her birthday one year. Barley had to leave the road to hit it.

Now that there sounds like another winner . A few questions - How long to boil . So assuming since they are going on a cookie sheet , it means they are going in the oven . What temp . and for how long . Was told they get chewy if cooked too quick or too high temp .
Boil until cooked through set oven to about 350-400 leave in until crisped up i never set timers i just look at them every few minutes yoy want them to brown a litlle then flip flops hem and brown the other sude. Pretty much gollow the instructions for boxed chicken wings

After the first snow fall that grips and holds with cold temperatures to follow a few days after is really is some of the best times to hunt a variety of small game on the next sunny day..Usually cottontail rabbits are abundant at this time of year depending on the season.. rabbits offer great sport and are in prime condition to harvest for eating..Out rabbit hunting sometimes we have shot ruffed grouse & nice big pheasants.. and the odd mallard and black duck...We like the heavy cover gullys with open feeder streams..
We have taken many limits of early season rabbits over many seasons with either 12 guage pump and .410 pump..The 12 guage is better all around especially when you flush out a jack rabbit taking off across a field..Big Jacks are a great target and we hunted them specifically with magnum heavy shot loads..

We checked and know the open seasons and limits..
rabbit limit is 5 per day..

Any small game hunters here that hunt rabbits and game birds after a snowfall
Mick

Do you see many jackrabbits anymore? I used to see them but haven't seen one in years since coyote numbers exploded?

@scribe same here
Haven’t seen a jack rabbit for as long as I can remember..
I run trail cams year round too haven’t picked any up on them either.
I once seen what looked to be one of those big pet rabbits with big floppy ears. On trail cam But certainly wasn’t a jack rabbit.

There's a spot, just east of St.Jame's church,(think that's the name) on Ferguson line before Belmont golf course. See them there fairly often. No idea why, only spot I've seen them in a decade or more? Probably best to leave them be, just glad to know there are still a few?

hey @scribe west elgin county and into chatham kent county is where to hunt jack rabbits on the flats with binnos and a rifle...
need snow and land owner permission..jack rabbits here in yarmouth not to many..

good snowshoe rabbits and cottontails together are a day trip north..we use to do really good north of Elmira...you need to scout and get landowner permission..

the snowshoes have really populated the last few years where I bear hunt..a good sign is the lynx has made a good come back..and ya still plenty of wolf and some really big ones..ya the timber wolf is an incredible animal..

just to mention..its amazing the top apex predators in the north.. and enough to send a few experienced hunters from the south back home early..I have had years of campfire stories...ya with sign of huge bear bones the size of a dinosaur.. killed at point black range right through the front door of my friends trapper shack and killed the giant...and the wolves killed and ate his german shepard...his best friend..he ended up feeling better and got a new dog...a male rotweiler..he is a good fit..

ya heres the unimaginable.. with a pack of wolves move in with incredible stealth.. surrounding the deer blind and litterly terrorized my fellow hunter..he struggled with the mindset shooting high pressure pepper spray in the eyes and try to kill with rifle..the blind saved him...his mental health suffered to sick and he went home early the next day...thats 2 repeat michigan deer hunters..at least they took 1 buck home
where I go it is listening in on spring time town hall meetings and discussions for denfense on aggressive bear attacks and tear apart causing extreme property damage..
I wont forget hearing a rifle shot ring out after 3 am when I stayed in town.. ended up a bear breaking into a house just down the street..
its going back with stealth for new adventurers..every day is different.. all 16 of um..

Last edited:
hey you young hunters looking for action
I been around ontario and some of the best action for an ontario hunt is hunting with dogs for fall black bear and...later whitetail deer
find yourself a good outfitter with hounds I am sure theres a few good ones..they hunt fall bear and then fall season deer with hounds..I been up there deer hunting the hounds
on the algonquin highlands..adjacent and SW of the park WMU #54
A little north of haliburton.. ya its a chip shot to get there
you need to be in good shape and can handle your adrenaline..dogs on a bear is high energy...try to get a rate by the day..opening day and good hunting weather..fill your tag quick..I have a couple beauty bear skin rugs..one tanned in montreal..and 3 white skulls with big teeth..lol...line up a local game butcher up there that does bear..the best meat and cuts when you an get experienced butcher..

ya if you feel you cant handle the chase...hunt spring bear over bait...it starts May 1st...I reccomend the walleye opener to the last week of May..ya find yourself a reasonable outfitter for a week..fish the morning and hunt the evening..line up your butcher...a hunters life and staying at hunt camp is great..
I am heading 14 hours north the day before the opener till the end of May...ya its paradise way up if you like hunting fishin quading on our beautiful crown land thats not polluted in the Canadian shield..

Boil until cooked through set oven to about 350-400 leave in until crisped up i never set timers i just look at them every few minutes yoy want them to brown a litlle then flip flops hem and brown the other sude. Pretty much gollow the instructions for boxed chicken wings
Thanks PM

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks