2019 Walleye & Perch TAC Announced

Mick--we used an old recipe from whitefish with walleye and its good.
Preheat over to 400F
Grease a 12 cup muffin pan
Take a smaller walleye fillet dry it lay it flat.
Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder
Coat both sides of fillet with mayo or Miracle Whip.
Dredge the fillet in bread crumbs (I like Panko)
Roll the fillet, place end side up in the muffin tin cup.
Top with a mix of breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and a tbls butter
Bake ~20 mins until top is browned and fish is firm
They pop out like muffins when done
Ive served them with tarter, shrimp style sauces, and lemon yogurt sauce.
They are great the next day cold
I’m curious, do you put pieces of the filet in the muffin cups? Just trying to picture this?

hey @Trevor M ..thats one of the reasons why i posted a recipe idea reply...i remember your a chef and i think you posted a couple of fish recipes?.....that was a quit a while ago...I am still learning how to cook...especially being a hunter with wild meats...theres a couple dishes i miss...my exGfs salmon pinwheels on the BBQ cedar plank... and with wild rabbits... my modified hasenpheffer...that has a incredible flavour...
I can tell you my own crockpot seafood chowder..I use chunks of walleye..thats a good dish you can get away with using frozen walleye..great for winter time after your frozen from ice fishing..

another way is soaking frozen walleye fillets in a bag with a can of evaporated milk...
ya the chowder is also finalized with a can of evaporated milk

Hey Trevor just wondered you living in the NWT did you ever have the pleasure of eating artic char...thats one i never had...and heard its outstanding fish to eat ...

Yes I've eaten Arctic Char, never had the opportunity to catch one tho, wasn't far enough North, nor did I wanna go that far North. Cooked a lot of it tho. They're ok. I found them to be kinda like a cross between a trout and a salmon.

Hey Bob, I never had to google it.....the first time I heard about it, SEVERAL ppl from this forum copied and pasted it (this is a couple years ago now at least) and I just took'em at their word that they weren't lying to me LOL.

But, that still is a very vague statement saying you can give fish away. There isn't much detail to that statement when compared to the explanation I got from the ministry when you consider, even tho I knew I could give fish away, I didn't know I could give/gift it to my wife. As I said, I thought because we lived under the same roof and I was the only one with a license my limits were all that counted, and that isn't accurate. That statement doesn't tell you that.

Ya gotta remember as well, not everyone has a smart phone, ( I don't) and not everyone has a computer at home. (I know strange right, but it's true)

I’m curious, do you put pieces of the filet in the muffin cups? Just trying to picture this?
Mick--you roll them up like a sleeping bag, then put them end up in the muffin tin. If theyre too long cut them in half. They expand when they cook and come out like...fish muffins...or kinda like fish Cinnabuns

Thanks @DaveJ for your Walleye muffin recipe..I was snickering right away reading the greasing the muffin pan..lol .. yep I just took a picture of your recipe with my phone so i got it for my home kitchen...all the ingredients sounds really good...i just wondered about the mayo and then into the bread crumbs...ya that should work/stick..I think 5 to 6 of our smaller fillets should work for the recipe...I might have to buy a new muffin pan for 12 muffins..

ya you can't beat classic fish n chips..i think its almost everybodys favourite...I am just looking at ways to cut down on the frying...the bbq works too for grilled walleye and trout/salmon.. I have a basket type BBQ accessorry that makes cooking fillets easy and the fish comes out just as easy.. I marinate the salmon/trout first making the basted fillets deliciously moist...

sorry @Wave Runner the next batch is going to be a while for fresh fish...we have had non stop high howling winds that ruined the fishing we did have for snook...I have battle scars above my one ankle from the waves pounding me against the rocks the last time out..I have had to wear sun glasses for safety from the blowing sand into my eyes to just walk down for grocerys yesterday...I will be back home to cut the grass soon
Yeah the mayo sounds weird but it works. 12 is a lot...unless its the guys at the camp where they'll eat them all. Definitely you need smaller fillets...big Erie hogs have to be cut up small. We use this for any fish...pike, whitefish, bass...vs deep fried

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks