2019 Walleye & Perch TAC Announced

You guys can keep and/or release what you want. If I can get my limit I will. Waisting fish is breaking one of the 10 commandments where I come from
Keeping fish and actually eating them is not wasteful. I’m just trying to make the point that
While I understand the point your trying to make, what you've said is not entirely accurate. People you "gift" fish to are not required to hold a license, and you are permitted to have fish in your freezer for others that you intend to "gift" it too. You are not required to physically give them to that person for them not to count against your possession limit. All that is required is that any fish you have in your freezer are CLEARLY marked as to whom they belong too for them not to count against your limit. I didn't know about "gifting" until last year, so I called the ministry to get clarification about it. I posted about it last year, but I didn't go into huge detail because it was a VERY long explanation.

Since it's come up tho, HERE is that explanation to me directly from the Ministry regarding "gifting."

Over the years, I've been close to my personal possession limit a few times for Perch and last year for Walleye as well, but because I didn't want to risk being over my personal possession limit, I've given away a lot of fish over the years (especially last year.)

Late last year, someone I know was telling me that I was giving away fish I didn't have to give away because I could "gift" it to my wife and it wouldn't count against my possession limits. While I knew I could give fish away, and I've done so quite often, I didn't know what he meant by "gifting" it to my wife, or how it wouldn't count against my possession limit being the only one with a license in my home, so I called the Ministry to get clarification.

What I was told by the Ministry when I called and asked about "gifting" fish to others and what that meant to my possession limit was this and I quote the Ministry person I spoke with: (anything I have bolded here comes directly from the Ministry person I spoke with.)

"ANYONE who holds a valid fishing license may give fish they have caught to anyone they wish, whether the person they are giving those fish to holds a license or not. It is considered "gifting." Daily limits apply and any fish you "gift" to others still counts against your daily limit, but they do NOT count against your personal possession limit once you have given them away."

That didn't really answer my question, so I asked him a more specific question regarding how many I can have in my freezer given I am the only one in my home who holds a valid fishing license and it's just my wife and I. So using my wife and I as the example and the walleye limit for zone 19 and the provincial possession limit (6) as the species and limit applicable, what he told me was:

"You may go out on any given day, catch your daily limit of walleye in zone 19, which is 6, and bring them home. You may NOT go back out and catch any more walleye and keep them that day. HOWEVER, it is perfectly legal for you to go out the next day, catch another limit of 6, bring them home and "gift" them to your wife, which would put 12 (a 2 person limit) in your freezer PROVIDING that the fish you have "gifted" to your wife are CLEARLY marked with her name, and the date they were caught. SHE IS NOT REQUIRED to have a license if someone is "gifting" her fish, (even if you are the one to be gifting it to her.) Only the person who caught them is required to hold a license, and since that person, in this case you, has caught them legally, and then given them away, or "gifted" them to another, they do not count against your possession limit even if they are in your freezer, but they DO count against your daily limit. The reason they don't count against your possession limit is, you gifted them to your wife, and provided they are marked as such, they are no longer considered yours."

When I asked him how that was possible if she didn't have a license, he answered me saying:

"The reason she doesn't have to hold a license if she is being "gifted" fish is because there are many who will eat fish, but who do not, will not, or can't go out and catch it themselves."

He asked if I had any kids, I told him I have a son from a previous relationship who lives in the area, but no longer lives at home. He went on to tell me that:

"You could go out a third day and catch yet another limit of 6 and put them in your freezer for your son if you wanted to, and that too would be legal PROVIDING they are clearly marked as belonging to him, and when they were caught. He does NOT have to reside with you, so it is possible in this hypothetical as I have explained it to you, that over a 3 day period, you have caught 18 walleye, and you have all 18 in your freezer, but because you have "gifted" 6 to your wife, and 6 to your son, provided they are CLEARLY marked as belonging to your wife and CLEARLY marked as belonging to your son, even if you are holding them in your freezer, even though you are the only person in your home who holds a valid fishing license, you would NOT be over your personal possession limit, and therefore you have not done anything illegal because those fish you have chosen to "gift" to others, even if they are being held in your freezer, even if someone you have chosen to "gift" them to lives with you, they do not count against YOUR possession limit because essentially, you have given them away.

BUT....IF you have "gifted" fish to others and it is being held in your freezer, ie your wife or your son, they still cannot exceed provincial possession limits for each person to whom fish is marked as belonging to in your freezer or you and they would be in violation and subject to the applicable penalties."

So to make sure I completely understood what he had told me, I asked him, "so when talking about walleye from zone 19 as the example, so long as what I have in my freezer is properly marked, using the hypothetical used, 6 marked with my name, 6 with marked with my wife's name, and 6 with my son's, that IS perfectly legal even though I am the only one with a license and even though they would all be in my freezer?" He responded with a simple:

"YES, that is correct!
BUT if you were to have more than your personal walleye possession limit (6) in your freezer, and none of it was clearly marked as belonging to someone else, (ie your wife, or your son) THAT is illegal, as it would be assumed none were being "gifted" and they would ALL count towards your possession limit as the only one with a valid license, which of course would put you 12 over and you would face the applicable penalties.

Likewise, if you have "gifted" fish to others and hold it in your freezer, make sure that what you hold for others does not exceed the individual provincial possession limit per person, because if for example you have "gifted" a limit to your wife, and one to your son, but you have in your freezer additional packages marked as being theirs that puts them over the individual possession limit, THEY would be held accountable, and since you are the one who caught them and then "gifted" them, you would face not only the same penalties they would, but also additional ones as the one who initially caught the fish."

Now, all that said, I don't and won't ever exceed my daily or possession limit on any species, and obviously because I have given away so many fish over the years fearing going over my possession limit, I'm not about to start now. While I knew I could give fish away, I didn't know about "gifting," and how it impacted MY possession limits.

Now, I do, and it's good to know that I can legally put a 2 person limit of walleye in my freezer, 6 for me, and 6 that I can "gift" to my wife. It's also nice to know that I can do the same with perch (if the little buggers will cooperate) because I've been giving away a lot of fish over the years that I did not have to give away by not knowing or perhaps not understanding this little gem of information.

I always thought that as the only one with a license in my home, I could only have what my license allowed in regards to possession limits, which is why I either threw fish back, or gave them away, so I didn't go over because while I have always understood daily catch limits, I didn't know or understand that I could "gift" fish to my wife and it wouldn't count against my possession limits.

I moved back to Ontario a little over 10 years ago, we got married 6 1/2 years ago, and in that time I have thrown back or given away more fish than I've caught so I didn't go over my possession limit because I did not know what I just explained to you about "gifting" fish to others as it was explained to me by the Ministry.
Great explanation, thanks for that. I appreciate it

thats great info trevor.. just wondered where you got your info from..
and @DSfishy you made a good point

I have called the wheatly office MNRF enforcement office a couple times for lake erie sport fishing answers...very helpful
also for fishing & hunting the MNR toll free information centre is another good resource...
after over 40 years of fishing & hunting and being checked by MNR enforcement throughout different provinces in Canada I am proud to say I never have had a fine or a warning..I have also assisted in fish and game investagations and went to court to testify..and one outcome of guilty

Last edited:
I agree with @Ticker having no possession limit on walleye is not good but also agree with @Leaky it should be increased. The possession limit should be at least the same as perch which is double the daily limit. Daily limit of 6 and 12 in possession seems more than reasonable. Why should sport anglers possession quotas stay the same to offset 1.4 million more walleye for the commercials? Isn't it our tax dollars and license fees that support the fishery in the first place? Isn't it our dollars that support sport fishing tackle businesses, bait shops, restaurants, motels, resorts, gas stations, marinas, charter fleets and whatever else one can think of in every place we sport fisherman go? What exactly do the commercials contribute other than depleting the fishery we love?
I like to chime in on a few of your points
Im a firm believer of conservation
And I agree to increase the possession limits on walleye while the stocks are in excellent shape and need to be monitored and changed before it gets past just in good shape " and yes stocks fluctuate not just based on harvest but environmental conditions as well "
The reason is I don't think catch limits should increase because that's a proven way to decline the stocks ,there are many Northen Ontario fishing lodges / camps that enforce the rule of catch and consume but no removal of fish " take home " is permitted
Witch keeps the stock up
Now you may say what about the commercial fishing industry
Well I'm not a economist or fishery expert but one can hope the individual who are and in charge of it doing not just their job but the best they can at it to keep the fishery well in balance
Which brings me to a other species the smallmouth bass fishing season I do wish it was like New York state so we could have more opportunities
Let's face it I can just drive my boat cross the border in the same body of water so it makes no sense to me
Last point from my view on our license payments Is no longer for many years now goes towards the fishery or hunting related government projects it is going into a called SLUSH fund that the government can pull money from as they see it fit and you and I have no say or know where / what that is goes for
I do believe the commercial fishing industry does contribute via bringing goods to market ,creating economy, and maybe having too many fish in the system may also be a bad thing so by controlling the population
Lastly I'm not related in any way to commercial fishing industry or taking their side
Just my view on the subject
I hope you / us have another awesome session of fishing

Well way to go Trevor, you legal'ed up fish mongering, problem solved, catch all I want and slap a family mem's name on it, go again the next day?

Hey don't shoot the messenger. I didn't understand what "gifting" meant, or how it applied to my possession limits, so I called the ministry and asked. I didn't legalize anything, they did. All I did was get clarification about something I'd been told, that I didn't understand and then I shared. Nor is there any implication that you can go out and catch all that you want and keep it in what I said, because you can't go and catch all you want, daily limits still apply. That is fairly clearly indicated in what they told me and what I shared.

thats great info trevor.. just wondered where you got your info from..
and @DSfishy you made a good point

I have called the wheatly office MNRF enforcement office a couple times for lake erie sport fishing answers...very helpful
also for fishing & hunting the MNR toll free information centre is another good resource...
after over 40 years of fishing & hunting and being checked by MNR enforcement throughout different provinces in Canada I am proud to say I never have had a fine or a warning..I have also assisted in fish and game investagations and went to court to testify..and one outcome of guilty

I called the Ministry number I have, and went through the usual transfers and I spoke with someone in the Peterborough offices of the MNRF.

Good conversation, I never heard of gifting before. Sounds like a way to get around the possession limit, if that is what you want to do. I would prefer to have the same rights to fish as our friends to the south in Ohio and Michigan. They have a daily limit, but they can go out day after day and legally take their limit. They have no possession limit. I am not sure why the sports fisherman in Ontario can not do the same.

Good conversation, I never heard of gifting before. Sounds like a way to get around the possession limit, if that is what you want to do. I would prefer to have the same rights to fish as our friends to the south in Ohio and Michigan. They have a daily limit, but they can go out day after day and legally take their limit. They have no possession limit. I am not sure why the sports fisherman in Ontario can not do the same.
It’s a good thing, however you may disagree. It prevents people from over harvesting. As I mentioned before I’ve witnessed a lot of people filling up freezers only to throw them away after a year. I’m not saying you do this but there are a lot of bad apples out there that do. These laws are thanks to them. To take the life of a fish and waste the meat is beyond sacrilege.

When I was first told about "gifting", I was skeptical and didn't believe what I had been told. That's why I called the ministry. That way I know I'm not doing something illegal that I shouldn't be. I have and will continue to share what they tell me when I call them, and when I share what they tell me, I quote them directly.

As I said to others, I called them because I thought as the only one in the house with a valid fishing license, I could only have MY possession limit in the freezer, and by calling them, I found out that wasn't accurate. I didn't know that though until last year.

Last year was the first year I've even remotely had to worry about whether I was even close to my possession limits and I'm not looking to get around possession limits at all. It's just nice to know that instead of giving fish away or throwing them back like I have been for years, because I didn't know about "gifting" even though I did know I could give fish away, which I did, and may still do, this year, if I want, I can legally keep them, and "gift" them to my wife and it won't count against my possession limits. To be honest though, I don't anticipate it, but IF I find myself in that situation, I'll consider myself lucky I caught enough to be worried about it in the first place.

This has been in the regulations for as long as I can remember. I give most of the fish I catch away as I can only eat so much. My friends, neighbors and family are always very appreciative especially when I fillet and vacuum pack them. :)

Can I give the fish I catch to someone who doesn’t have a fishing licence?

You can give away any legally-caught fish. The person receiving the fish:
  • does not need a licence
  • must not exceed possession limits for that species

This has been in the regulations for as long as I can remember. I give most of the fish I catch away as I can only eat so much. My friends, neighbors and family are always very appreciative especially when I fillet and vacuum pack them. :)

Bob do you want my address???:ROFLMAO::p

That isn't listed in the summary tho. Even the PDF download doesn't mention that..so if you don't know where to look, you're not going to see it. As we've all said, they don't always put everything of relevance in the summary that they expect us to look at. Even the guy at the MNRF I spoke to when I got that long explanation told me they're "still working on getting everything in the summary that needs to be there." It hasn't really changed that much in the 10 years I've been back in Ontario. A few things here and there.

you guys talking about catching and keeping your erie walleyes to eat...does anybody have any good recipes for cooking your lake erie walleyes besides frying...

i shared one of my favourite recipe pictures before..pan fried walleye with tempera batter in peanut oil
i also enjoy cooking dorado & wahoo..

1339013391133931339413396this one here is baked walleye in butter sprinkled with lemon pepper...its pretty good too...I use a ceramic corningware dish..I enjoy the flavour of freshly caught fish over frozen..

Last edited:
you guys talking about catching and keeping your erie walleyes to eat...does anybody have any good recipes for cooking your lake erie walleyes besides frying...

i shared one of my favourite recipe pictures before..pan fried walleye with tempera batter in peanut oil

View attachment 13390View attachment 13391View attachment 13393View attachment 13394View attachment 13396this one here is baked walleye in butter sprinkled with lemon pepper...its pretty good too...I use a ceramic corningware dish..I enjoy the flavour of freshly caught fish over frozen..

Looks good Mick. If I had to pick my brain for all the fish recipe's I know, have used in industry, or "played" with for fun, I may not get anything else done lol. (I was a chef for 12 of 15 years I worked in restaurants before I became a truck driver, before I got hurt)

hey @Trevor M ..thats one of the reasons why i posted a recipe idea reply...i remember your a chef and i think you posted a couple of fish recipes?.....that was a quit a while ago...I am still learning how to cook...especially being a hunter with wild meats...theres a couple dishes i miss...my exGfs salmon pinwheels on the BBQ cedar plank... and with wild rabbits... my modified hasenpheffer...that has a incredible flavour...
I can tell you my own crockpot seafood chowder..I use chunks of walleye..thats a good dish you can get away with using frozen walleye..great for winter time after your frozen from ice fishing..

another way is soaking frozen walleye fillets in a bag with a can of evaporated milk...
ya the chowder is also finalized with a can of evaporated milk

Hey Trevor just wondered you living in the NWT did you ever have the pleasure of eating artic char...thats one i never had...and heard its outstanding fish to eat ...

Last edited:

View attachment 13390View attachment 13391View attachment 13393View attachment 13394View attachment 13396this one here is baked walleye in butter sprinkled with lemon pepper...its pretty good too...I use a ceramic corningware dish..I enjoy the flavour of freshly caught fish over frozen..
Mick--we used an old recipe from whitefish with walleye and its good.
Preheat over to 400F
Grease a 12 cup muffin pan
Take a smaller walleye fillet dry it lay it flat.
Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder
Coat both sides of fillet with mayo or Miracle Whip.
Dredge the fillet in bread crumbs (I like Panko)
Roll the fillet, place end side up in the muffin tin cup.
Top with a mix of breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and a tbls butter
Bake ~20 mins until top is browned and fish is firm
They pop out like muffins when done
Ive served them with tarter, shrimp style sauces, and lemon yogurt sauce.
They are great the next day cold

Thanks @DaveJ for your Walleye muffin recipe..I was snickering right away reading the greasing the muffin pan..lol .. yep I just took a picture of your recipe with my phone so i got it for my home kitchen...all the ingredients sounds really good...i just wondered about the mayo and then into the bread crumbs...ya that should work/stick..I think 5 to 6 of our smaller fillets should work for the recipe...I might have to buy a new muffin pan for 12 muffins..

ya you can't beat classic fish n chips..i think its almost everybodys favourite...I am just looking at ways to cut down on the frying...the bbq works too for grilled walleye and trout/salmon.. I have a basket type BBQ accessorry that makes cooking fillets easy and the fish comes out just as easy.. I marinate the salmon/trout first making the basted fillets deliciously moist...

sorry @Wave Runner the next batch is going to be a while for fresh fish...we have had non stop high howling winds that ruined the fishing we did have for snook...I have battle scars above my one ankle from the waves pounding me against the rocks the last time out..I have had to wear sun glasses for safety from the blowing sand into my eyes to just walk down for grocerys yesterday...I will be back home to cut the grass soon

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks