2019 Walleye & Perch TAC Announced

A devastating drop in the perch quota is great news to my ears! That tells me the ministry finally recognizes what we already knew that the perch population has been devastated by the commercial fishing. Hopefully it will help to see some immediate results for sport perch catches this year because here in the Central Basin I am starting to forget what one even looks like. ?:)

I don't believe that the perch population has been devastated by commercial fishing. The commercial fishery has been harvesting walleye too just like it has been harvesting perch - so if that were true the walleye population wouldn't have exploded like it has in the last five years.

I think it likely has more to do with predator-prey relationships and hatch success rates of the perch which to my knowledge haven't been as good as the walleye hatches in the last five years.

I remember the 1980s walleye fishery when a 7 pounder was considered a little guy during a time when there were just as many if not more walleye eating perch and still could catch limits of perch no problem. The last 2 years I have fished the Central Basin (Bruce, Stanley & Glasgow) from shallow water all the way to 72 ft. searching for schools of perch and nada. I never moved spot to spot so much in my entire life fishing perch. If they were there in numbers I would've found them somewhere. Some days there were so many nets scattered around it was like trolling a maze for walleye. I know there are other factors but after more than 50 years fishing Erie I know the commercial fishing has done a lot more damage to the perch population than most believe. The ministry didn't cut the quota for Erie east of Essex by 20% because there's droves of perch running from walleye preying on them I can tell you that. ;)

The whole eco-structure of the lake has also changed drastically since the 80's. The zebra mussels have clarified the water allowing more light to greater depths and the gobies have become a new food source. Lots of factors at play here, the commercial is only one of them. We managed to find limits of perch last year but not where we've typically fished in years past.

I think they cut the perch quota because there are less perch. Likewise, they increased the walleye quota ~ 10% because there are more walleye. A lot more walleye eating a lot more prey, perch included.

I seem to be a minority in that I'm an angler who isn't against the commercial fishery. I know some fishermen personally and have been able to learn a bit about the industry. I know they too had to adjust how and where nets were set last year to catch perch as it wasn't a traditional year. One of the most intriguing things I saw from them was that perch weren't on the bottom, where anglers typically catch them.

I don't believe that commercial catches of fish don't affect the populations, I just don't think it is the deciding factor at play regarding fish populations. The lake has been commercially fished for a long time and in my opinion has been able to sustain that fishery. To me, the recent walleye population explosion is proof enough that other variables have a much greater influence on the health of the fish populations.

I seen somewhere that perch are declining because of mild winters which effects their spawning. Really wish ontario anglers would have got a increase in walleye limits

ya @Wave Runner most don't realize how good the perch fishing use to be..I grew up in port stanley spending my summers at my grandmothers cottage starting in the late 60s ..the great fishing inspired me to buy a new boat to fish lake erie.. specifically for salmon and secondary walleye...and it was good fishin...and that was one line per angler...
I am happy to have the great memories of how good lake erie fishing use to be...it is nice to see the erie walleye numbers return...I acheived all my personnal best for size and catches back in the 80s....19 -20 lb chinooks one 20lb lake trout and several mid to high teen rainbows...fastest 2 man salmon limit was 2.5 hours (8 cohos 2 kings)...again one line per angler..those are memories i just don't forget...good thing huron fishin picked up where erie left off...I think lake michigan has been the next best thing

Here's my thoughts on it. While I will openly admit it very much annoys me to see a commercial boat out there dropping his nets close to shore, close to Ports, ie Pt Bruce, and yep, I'll bitch and complain about it every time I see it, I also know that when it comes to these "quota's" and the powers that be who set them, we all have our own theories, and we all presume to know who they listen to when making these decisions, and who is that, the people with the $$, and that ain't us right.

The often shared perception by many is always that the commercial guys, by dropping their nets close to shore and a port are killing the chances those of us who don't own a boat and are mostly tethered to shore would have in catching decent sized fish and in numbers. Those with boats make the same complaints. However; the reality is still that the commercial guys, like any of us, have a right to make a living.

So while I may not like where they choose to drop their nets, especially if they drop them close enough to shore that one never needs a set of binoculars to see what they're doing, I also don't let it stop me from going to the lake, and putting a line in the water. Sure I may not be doing as well from the pier as those who go out in a boat, and I certainly haven't done as well as I was doing 5 years ago off the pier, but I'm still catching fish, I'm out of the house, and given the back, hip and shoulder problems I have that get worse every year, I'm enjoying the fact that I am still able to do it, because there will come a day, when I can't, so I don't really care what the quota's for the commercial fishery may be in any given year. The only limits I care about, are the ones that pertain to me.

Nearly 90% of the world's marine fish stocks are now fully exploited, overexploited or depleted. ... Without them, we could slow the overexploitation of fish stocks, deal with the overcapacity of fishing fleets, and tackle the scourge of illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing.Jul 13, 2018

No science to back this, just how perching went for me. Early season, late April to mid May, caught almost limits of perch the first few trips out of Bruce. Smaller fish but a few good feeds. When walleye started to get hot, hardly a yellow belly, not complaining, started playing around with alternative methods for wallies, I don't have the equ really, had a riot and did ok

The big picture...the common denominator everywhere I have gone and everywhere I go fishing and the response I get from sports fishermen is "its not what it use to be" "those days are gone"....heres a sample of unregulated world fish supplier Ecuador...from the longliners to the huge tuna boat netters..

13339 13340 1334113342

the Ecuador tuna fleet is one of the largest in the world...I had the pleasure to speak with an ecuadorian commercial fisherman out of Santa Rosa that works on one of the large offshore tuna boats. He was staying at our hotel in Salinas. He explained the distance they travel 100s of miles offshore and how they zig zag north to south and repeat for 1 week straight and then a weeks rest with that schedule throughout the year. Puerto Lopez is a 24/7 large commercial fishing operation. transporting fish to the processing plants.

Ya I am not complaining...its just a fact fish species get wiped out from over fishing...NFLD cod, Pacific salmon lowest numbers ,mediterranean bluefins...if we counted how many cans of tuna are left on the shelves world wide...it would be a shocking number...

No science to back this, just how perching went for me. Early season, late April to mid May, caught almost limits of perch the first few trips out of Bruce. Smaller fish but a few good feeds. When walleye started to get hot, hardly a yellow belly, not complaining, started playing around with alternative methods for wallies, I don't have the equ really, had a riot and did ok

Yep same off the pier last year.I was only skunked once last year, and that was in mid July. My first trip down to try my luck was May 5th. I got a sheephead and a small yellow that I threw back cuz it was to small. I didn't catch any worth keeping til May 24th when I caught 4. For the year I caught 140 yellows and kept 91, most of them were caught in May and June, then they were gone.

As most of you know, I was privileged to be able to go out a few times last year with Tailfeathers. I caught more walleye out with him during those trips last year than I have ever caught in my life, and I've fished a lot of water from Ontario through to Alberta and the NWT.

I have a neighbor who told me late last season that he has NEVER caught a walleye in his life :eek:. His grandson owns a boat and they went out a few times last year, no perch, no walleye, no nothin. Skunked. Maybe they were trolling to fast, maybe to slow, maybe it was lure selection, maybe they don't have the necessary equipment to get deep enough, or maybe the fish just weren't there. I can't tell you what, if anything, they were doing wrong, because I wasn't with them.

The reason I shared that is because we all know how great the walleye fishing has been for the past 2 years, but there are still people who have gone out after them, getting skunked. Same neighbor and another joined me on the pier once last year, and they got skunked, while I was catching fish using the same bait.

It's not like I didn't catch any perch, I'm just saying the perch fishery is pathetic compared to pre 2017. I think we can all agree on that point regardless of what theory one chooses as a reason why. ?

It's not like I didn't catch any perch, I'm just saying the perch fishery is pathetic compared to pre 2017. I think we can all agree on that point regardless of what theory one chooses as a reason why. ?

I choose the theory that the fish live in the water, so that's where I should put my bait. If they're there, and they're hungry, they'll hit it and I might catch'em. If they ain't there, or they are but they ain't hungry, they ain't gonna hit it, and I ain't gonna catch'em. I've been pretty lucky, usually some fish of some kind is there, it's hungry, it hits my bait, and generally, I catch it, even if it ain't what I'm after, it's still fun.

post spawn perch are usually the best time to catch the hungry perch...remember i was telling you trevor off the rocks at the end of burwell..15 minutes to jump the rocks...I use to take a backpack and salted minnows and a fillet knive...The diehards I know that still fish burwell every season...they paddle there canoe out there and fish the stairs side and did good last season...
another good spot is erieau pier..June is usually the best time..I hope to catch a few LSC perch walleye fishing...but just a few...I don't like cleaning perch at all....one time I gave my 50 perch away for somebody else to clean..thats probably the number 1 reason i don't fish perch...cleaning 6 pickeral and a couple rainbows is way to much work...

Last edited:
post spawn perch are usually the best time to catch the hungry perch...remember i was telling you trevor off the rocks at the end of burwell..15 minutes to jump the rocks...I use to take a backpack and salted minnows and a fillet knive...The diehards I know that still fish burwell every season...they paddle there canoe out there and fish the stairs side and did good last season...
another good spot is erieau pier..June is usually the best time..I hope to catch a few LSC perch walleye fishing...but just a few...I don't like cleaning perch at all....one time I gave my 50 perch away for somebody else to clean..thats probably the number 1 reason i don't fish perch...cleaning 6 pickeral and a couple rainbows is way to much work...

Yep I remember, but as I told you when I responded thanking you for the more specific information you gave me, I can't walk those rocks, so I stick with where I can go. I don't mind cleaning perch, much easier now that I have an electric fillet knife.

I hope the perch rebound, @Wave Runner. I’ve never been too good at perch fishing, even when the numbers were higher. In the meantime I’m going to catch as many walleye as I can because the Lake is better than its ever been in my lifetime, for whatever that’s worth. All the best this season.

All the best to you also @Joey D... should be tons of walleye again this year. ?:)

Here's something for all of us to think about because I'm not too sure what it's going to be like in 2020 after a 1.4 million walleye commercial quota increase this season to 8.5 million total. I think we all know what a sport fishery limit of 6 walleye look like laying on a dock but can we even fathom what an 8.5 million commercial limit of walleye would look like laying on the docks? Trying to imagine I thought if you laid them side by side (not end to end) how long would the line be, just saying. Here's some interesting calculations I came up with using a conservative average depth per walleye of only 4 inches.

63,360 inches = 1 mile = 15,840 walleye per mile = 536.61 miles for 8.5 million walleye
That's lined up side by side on the 401 stretching from Windsor to Montreal
- think if it was end to end the walleye could be laying on the streets of Paris France! :jawdrop:

Also just imagine this, the time it takes to count 8.5 million walleye... at the rate of 1 per second 24/7 without out taking any breaks at all it would take you 2,360 hours or 98.3 days. Think about that next time you're counting fish in our coolers to make certain we're not over our measly sport fishing limit of 6 each. ? Okay winternet is now officially over. ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks