Search results

1. K

New Garmin Livescope lvs36 May 2024 release. Do you think technology is going to far?

In terms of our local fishing, the one area I've noticed tech has had an impact is on yellow perch. Many will disagree, and I get that. But back in the day, the common tactic was marking fish (or catching fish without marking them) and throwing out a marker. You'd then attempt to anchor your...
  2. K

Fishing Report Lake O Double Smackdown, April 10

looks like a great day on the water
  3. K

Off Topic The wail of a Loon off Port Bruce this morning

The east end of Lake Erie, including the upper Niagara river is over-run with loons. Almost as many as cormorants this year.
  4. K

Off Topic To those who laugh at others

42nd spoon is one of my favorites out there, and not far off of that colour pattern. The bows love it, as do the occasional coho.
  5. K

Round 2 July 16th

Just goes to show the difference across the lake. Different weather just 40 miles away.
  6. K

Fishing Report Port Stanley quick limits July 16th

So strange that those fish want to stay up in that top warm water column. Maybe they just shoot up to feed, and back down.
  7. K

Fishing Report Port Stanley quick limits July 16th

What are the temps in that top 25ft of water down at your end of the lake? I only ask, as we fish bows in the deeper water (100ft+) and we find them down 55 to 75. Our top 30ft is surface temp.
  8. K

Round 2 July 16th

Strange it was that rough in the longpoint area. Biggest waves registered all day at the weather buoy off Port Colborne were 2.6ft.
  9. K

Fishing Report July 12. Black fins.

Oh I know, and trust me I eat my fair share of Erie fish. And I'll continue to do so. I just never heard of this issue until it was linked up above in this post. Taking a second look at the consumption guide, they list it as #6 but none of the fish were tested for it.
  10. K

Fishing Report July 12. Black fins.

I normally follow the Guide to Eating Ontario Sportfish, but man I have to say, after reading this and looking up other news sources (which includes Great Lakes Fish Commission), this is pretty eye opening. It appears they haven't really been testing for PFAS up until recently. And its VERY...
  11. K

Fishing Report Lighthouse 12/07/23

This is why I'm convinced there are so many more salmon in Lake Erie than we give credit for. They are so easily misidentified by many anglers.
  12. K

Walleyes from shore?

Off all the good bites on Lake Erie and St. Clair river, night time shore walleye is the most under utilized I think. Right now is prime time for night fishing all along shore.
  13. K

Off Topic The missus may approve of a new boat...opinions?

What I have found over the years is one boat doesn't do it all. I have resorted to keeping a towable aluminum boat for fishing those shallower waters you mention, or rivers, north etc. For Erie, I run a 25ft walkaround style offshore boat (Proline) and love it. Erie is basically an inland...
  14. K

Off Topic Lyme disease cases are rising in Canada: What to know about Tick bites

I think many people fail to realize just how small black legged deer tick nymphs are. Both of my kids over the last 2 years have had ticks removed, that tested positive. The one on my daughter was no bigger than the head on a ball point pen. My wife just happened to notice a mark when...
  15. K

Off Topic Favourite wind/wave forecast app

I find this to be very accurate, and easy to read hour to hour. https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ofs/ofs_mapplots.html?ofsregion=le&subdomain=0&model_type=wind_forecast
  16. K

Off Topic Volvo Penta 5.0L gxi

Unfortunately you can't compare truck engine and boat engine hours. Trucks are geared in a way that allows the engine to run at much lower RPMs. Boat engines are quite often at higher RPM. So in those 2100 hours on a truck, the engine may have spun half as many times as a boat engine with...
  17. K

Off Topic batter for deep frying

The absolute easiest and crispiest fish batter out there is one I learned from an old timer who ran a fish fry truck. Cold beer, and here's the secret......Self Rising Flour. Has to be self rising. Mix it to the consistency you prefer, dip the fish and fry. No egg wash, no pre-flour, just...
  18. K

Off Topic Body bait strategy this year.

Strange, because here in the Eastern basin I can wash a live target smelt for hours, while everything else is getting absolutely smoked. For such a good looking smelt bait it just never seems to do well for me at this end.
  19. K

Sad day in Port Dover for all who enjoyed fishing the Misner Dam

That's what I figured too. And in that case, why not close that off? If wild fish from nearby are drawn to that location for whatever reason, they're vulnerable to over harvest being stuck behind an impassable barrier. Just because they can't pass, and the spawning conditions below aren't...
  20. K

Sad day in Port Dover for all who enjoyed fishing the Misner Dam

I wasn't questioning the regulation. I totally agree with it. Fish are piling up behind a dam, leaves them vulnerable. I'm just curious as to whether these are just roaming fish from other nearby tribs, or stockers wandering in there after bait and temps. You'd think a spot that isn't...
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks