Sad day in Port Dover for all who enjoyed fishing the Misner Dam

The reason they don't allow fishing against dams is because many species, particularly migratories, tend to stack up and become very easy targets. This isnt a new law, it just hasn't been enforced as well as it should be. Dont like the law? Well then put together a solid, scientifically supported argument for your position, lobby some biologists and put a forth a request for review with the MNR.

Josh

Last edited:
One question, why is it you can fish Rainbows in spawning mode in rivers when all other fish species are close during spawning times.
Just asking.
Because put and take?
Most rivers are closed during spawning in SW Ontario. Only a few late spawning stragglers usually remain on the gravel post opener. A few coldwater tribs even extended closure until the end of May. And any extended, year round open sections of rivers do not include spawning water. One of the troubles with protecting the entire Steelhead run is that, depending on strain, they can spawn anywhere from sept-june in our waters. I think protecting the 90% or so that spawn from new years - end of April is pretty reasonable.

Josh

Last edited:
The reason they don't allow fishing against dams is because many species, particularly migratories, tend to stack up and become very easy targets. This isnt a new law, it just hasn't been enforced as well as it should be. Dont like the law? Well then put together a solid, scientifically supported argument for your position, lobby some biologists and put a forth a request for review with the MNR.

Josh
That isn't the case here. Dams or fish ladder ways are generally protected to protect spawning grounds and access to spawn grounds. Both of which are not there. Hence why this was never enforced. In fact the most common species caught at this location is actually sheepshead and NOT trout or salmon.
By this this logic, any hot spot shoal, island narrow , bay etc that holds fish all year should.become off-limit because fish stack up there? Of course not, a better lore logical approach would be a specific sanctuary with dates much like other dams in around the areas. If being an easy target was ever a concern a reduced limit or slot could have beem arranged instead of limiting a fishing spot that rarely produced outside of a couple of months a year.
I could care less whether its now enforced of not as you can still catch plenty just down from there if you know when and where but the logic is , there were better ways to handle this situation.

I have ALOT of mixed feelings about this... I cut my teeth fishing trout in this spot... I've caught Chinook, Coho, Pink Salmon, Rainbow and Brown Trout... Also Bullheads and Chanel and Blue Catfish... 99% of my fall/winter fishing for Salmonoids is C&R...

This spot was unique that it stayed open most of the winter and allowed anglers a open water spot to fish for a mental break... Was it overfished... Yes... Is it a prime spawning area... Absolutely not... The river bottom is silty muck... But for many years it was self stocking with the Simcoe Park Kids Fishing Derby... They would put in 500 rainbows and maybe 50 were caught...

I was one of the ones that got a garbage barrel down there and routinely cleaned up the bank and emptied the barrel... Met some life long friends down there and shared alot of coffee and alot of laughs...

The better way to of handled this if it was deemed unethical/poaching etc. was to make it C+R only... WAY to many public fishing spots have been erased over the years...

This is IMO... End of rant... Sad situation...

If these fish cannot pass the dam, and conditions below the dam are not suitable spawning habitat, are they strictly wandering fish from other areas that are coming in for suitable temps and bait? Does the branch of the creek that runs east have any suitable habitat? I'm interested to hear if these are just lost US stockers, or fish that are naturally produced nearby and wander in. Or both.

Screenshot_20220324-001233_Samsung Internet.jpg

It seems pretty black and white to me in the regs 🤷 I'm absolutely in favour of them enforcing it and it has nothing to do with whether Trout and Salmon successfully reproduce in that system.

It's unfortunate that some folks lost a favourite fishing spot but this should have been enforced from the beginning IMO. And unfortunately there's still plenty of other similar spots across the province.

Josh

If these fish cannot pass the dam, and conditions below the dam are not suitable spawning habitat, are they strictly wandering fish from other areas that are coming in for suitable temps and bait? Does the branch of the creek that runs east have any suitable habitat? I'm interested to hear if these are just lost US stockers, or fish that are naturally produced nearby and wander in. Or both.
Yeah, so they would regularly come into the system and spawn higher up in the Lynn River, but since the dam is there and it's less than a km from the lake, the fish are probably not going to be successfully spawning there because there's no good gravel.

Again logically this can be solved with a simple sanctuary from one date to another.
All this is doing is protecting the sheepshead and catfish that call this water home.

Again logically this can be solved with a simple sanctuary from one date to another.
All this is doing is protecting the sheepshead and catfish that call this water home.
And thats a good thing. I don't understand why a sanctuary is needed, this regulation is already there to protect all species that congregate below obstructions.

Josh

View attachment 55958

It seems pretty black and white to me in the regs 🤷 I'm absolutely in favour of them enforcing it and it has nothing to do with whether Trout and Salmon successfully reproduce in that system.

It's unfortunate that some folks lost a favourite fishing spot but this should have been enforced from the beginning IMO. And unfortunately there's still plenty of other similar spots across the province.

Josh
I wasn't questioning the regulation. I totally agree with it. Fish are piling up behind a dam, leaves them vulnerable. I'm just curious as to whether these are just roaming fish from other nearby tribs, or stockers wandering in there after bait and temps. You'd think a spot that isn't routinely stocked, or has any natural spawning habitat would eventually fizzle out. Yet they return year after year.

My quess is they are returning stock fish. The could be also spawning below the dam.

Trout and salmon return to the place of birth as a rule.

I wasn't questioning the regulation. I totally agree with it. Fish are piling up behind a dam, leaves them vulnerable. I'm just curious as to whether these are just roaming fish from other nearby tribs, or stockers wandering in there after bait and temps. You'd think a spot that isn't routinely stocked, or has any natural spawning habitat would eventually fizzle out. Yet they return year after year.
My screenshot of the regs wasn't directed towards you inparticular 😉

The fish that end up at the dam are likely a mix of wild fish from nearby tribs and wandering US stockers. It's aslo not uncommon for Steelhead, Coho and Browns to wander up tribs besides their birth stream and then return to their birthstream to spawn.

Josh

My screenshot of the regs wasn't directed towards you inparticular 😉

The fish that end up at the dam are likely a mix of wild fish from nearby tribs and wandering US stockers. It's aslo not uncommon for Steelhead, Coho and Browns to wander up tribs besides their birth stream and then return to their birthstream to spawn.

Josh
That's what I figured too. And in that case, why not close that off? If wild fish from nearby are drawn to that location for whatever reason, they're vulnerable to over harvest being stuck behind an impassable barrier. Just because they can't pass, and the spawning conditions below aren't suitable, I don't agree with allowing it to be open season directly below. Seems to be the right call enforcing it.

Back