If you're looking for a new kicker...

I believe the new Merc 9.9 is available with EFI. Same size as the 15 therefore heavier than my 9.9.PK carb.

I looked at the Tohatsu and if the Yamaha deal hadn't happened thats probably what I would have done. Great reviews..and they make Mercs and Hondas under 20hp
Tohatsu actually makes Mercs 25 HP and under but no Honda outboards are made by Tohatsu. It's Honda that makes Tohatsu outboards 60 HP through 250 HP.

I looked at the Tohatsu and if the Yamaha deal hadn't happened thats probably what I would have done. Great reviews..and they make Mercs and Hondas under 20hp
Honda's too? That's news to me.

Tohatsu actually makes Mercs 25 HP and under but no Honda outboards are made by Tohatsu. It's Honda that makes Tohatsu outboards 60 HP through 250 HP.
Haha that makes perfect sense! They actually look alike too.

I think it's interesting that Tohatsu started making pumps for firefighting and graduated to outboard motors.

Not like that musical instrument company that sells outboards on the side. :rolleyes: Hope they utilize their piano expertise on their motor side gig.

(Obviously I was just kidding. I know Yams are good)

Tohatsu makes all those other vendors products, but if you take a look, they are manufactured to all different specs and designs. My initial thought when I researched that was that the Tohatsu would just be a rebranded Merc, but that is really not the case.
I'm sure they are very good motors, but if you get a chance, compare models in person - side by side before making your decision.

Everything from the plastic aprons down sure looks the same on the Tohatsu and Merc though.

Attachments

• 5447B647-EF2D-41D1-9397-4E284A8E3BA9.jpeg
    5447B647-EF2D-41D1-9397-4E284A8E3BA9.jpeg
    16.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 12E2F960-3EEF-4EF6-960D-5AC7D52E0C78.png
    12E2F960-3EEF-4EF6-960D-5AC7D52E0C78.png
    58.9 KB · Views: 31
Don't forget Parsun, which is just a crappy Chinese copy of the Tohatsu lol

Attachments

• 0B4EF3DB-902B-4AA6-9F71-AA6B6A3045B7.jpeg
    0B4EF3DB-902B-4AA6-9F71-AA6B6A3045B7.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 5
Everything from the plastic aprons down sure looks the same on the Tohatsu and Merc though.
Look in person. You will see the difference. metal thickness, fit and finish etc...
Not saying that they are both not good, but there is definately a difference, even though they are both made in the same factory.

Wave Runner is right. Honda will be supplying Tohatsu with 60, 75, 90, 115, 150, 200, 225 and 250 hp models, rebranded under the Tohatsu label. I believe they make Merc, Mairiner, and Suzuki up to 30hp in their Japan factories. Interesting that you can get high end engines at lower prices under a different name. Is this because portions of the outboard are less quality?
Honda's too? That's news to me.

I believe they make Merc, Mairiner, and Suzuki up to 30hp in their Japan factories
I'm not so sure about Suzi. Merc and Tohatsu are the same specs but Suzukis are wildly different. Suzuki made the smaller Evinnrudes for a while too. Exactly what years and models I am not sure of.

I'm not so sure about Suzi. Merc and Tohatsu are the same specs but Suzukis are wildly different. Suzuki made the smaller Evinnrudes for a while too. Exactly what years and models I am not sure of.
Here's what I read...fromhttps://nestawayboats.com/shop/petrol-outboards/

" In the world of petrol outboards, we sell portable motors made by Suzuki and Tohatsu. ... It's worth noting that in the sizes we sell (up to about 30hp) Mercury and Mariner branded outboards are in fact mechanically identical to Tohatsu – because Tohatsu make all three in their high-tech factory in Japan."

..so maybe they just use the factory facilities? Pretty common in Japan/China I think.

All three being Mercury, Mariner (which still exists overseas) and Tohatsu.

Suzuki is completely unrelated.

Tohatsu is the first Japanese company to make an outboard back in 1956 which was 8 years before Honda and now have become the second largest producer of outboards in the world. Since then, Tohatsu outboards have served a variety of marketplaces: commercial fishing, military, marine transport, surf life saving, recreation and competition racing. Also all Nissan outboard engines sold in North America were Tohatsus with a Nissan decal. In Europe and Asia you see Tohatsus on working boats all the time as they have a solid reputation of being bullet proof for countless decades before ever showing up in North America. In small outboards they are recognized world wide as the most dependable out there which is why Mercury chose them over their own. If you can't beat em' join em' is the reasoning I guess. ;)

Just a heads up...in my search for a new kicker, I found that Hully Gully has some non-current Yamahas that they purchased..brand new 2017s. I picked up an 8hp long shaft at a good price.

My usual place of business wasn't too helpful so I made my first visit to Hully Gully and I have to say I'm blown away by the staff (Ben/Jeff and the rest of them); and they were really friendly with my kids and let them ring the bell, and gave them free hats.

Pick up my Merc 9.9 on Friday. Ben mentioned the liquidated motors but I went with the Merc!

Highly recommend.

My usual place of business wasn't too helpful so I made my first visit to Hully Gully and I have to say I'm blown away by the staff (Ben/Jeff and the rest of them); and they were really friendly with my kids and let them ring the bell, and gave them free hats.

Pick up my Merc 9.9 on Friday. Ben mentioned the liquidated motors but I went with the Merc!

Highly recommend.
@snaapz Congratulations on your 9.9 hp Mercury and I wish that my experience there at Hully Gully would of turned out much better. I was trying to buy a 9.9 Mercury from there a couple of weeks ago,but Ben and I talked over the phone,and he would only offer me $700 for my 2007 ProKicker 4 stroke Mercury outboard motor!! Mind you though,it is running a little rough right now,and the carburetor just needs a good cleaning.But,still worth more than $700!! Apparently,there is a 2005(2 years older than mine),on Kijiji for $2,500!! I decided to keep my 9.9 Mercury for now,and repair the carburetor. Enjoy your new 9.9 Mercury outboard motor. 🚤🎣🐟👍🙂

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks