Sunday Steelhead

Josh Roelofsen

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Yesterday was action filled in more ways than chrome. Twisted and sprained my knee pretty good, went for a full on polar bear swim and broke the prop on the Minn Kota early on.....but we also hooked 50+ fish, putting better than half in the boat. It was a memorable day with a good friend and zero crowds :)

IMG_20181119_062023.jpgIMG_20181119_061831.jpgIMG_20181119_061642.jpgIMG_20181119_060336.jpgIMG_20181119_061154.jpgIMG_20181119_060736_558.jpgIMG_20181119_055035.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181119_060121.jpg
    IMG_20181119_060121.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
Your getting really good at taking steelhead photos... and hey not too bad at catching them either. ;)

Gorgeous shots Josh, thanks for sharing. (y)

Last edited:
Excellent report !!!!! I like reading them and the pictures are top notch. Keep them coming or is the knee and the cold going to stop you ? THX

Excellent report !!!!! I like reading them and the pictures are top notch. Keep them coming or is the knee and the cold going to stop you ? THX

Naw that won't stop a young guy like Josh... he won't feel the knees until he gets our age when we really pay for it. ;)

I don't know how old he is but anyone with all black hair and beard is a young guy to me. :D

Haha! I'm 38 and that hair is far from all black! Lol!

The knee is still very swollen today but I guarantee I'll be back out chasing steelies Wednesday ?

Thanks for the compliments on the photos, I'm glad others enjoy them....I've been photographing fish with a DSLR for several years, unfortunately most of the older posts I had made on here were lost too photobucket and another hosting site. I've been busy putting myself through school the past few years and then I spent pretty well an entire year bedridden with a serious back issue. All is well now and I'll have plenty of time to fish after new years.....expect lots of pics!

Josh

Hee..hee… believe me to us that hair is all black! The knee... I wish mine were just swollen but they need full replacement from running up and down rivers fishing and hunting for so many years. LOL! (n)
Hope you get back out soon to keep those great photos coming. (y)

josh your just a puppy at 38...i am turnin 60 in march...thankfully i got rebuilt with a titanium lumbar spinal fusion and knee replacement surgerys and with a little down time they are working good...and still enjoying the action..hope it lasts...so my motto is do it while you can...

nice photos & good job on the trout action....i sure got my years in for trout fishin creeks and rivers...

@Josh Roelofsen,as many other members of stomps including myself have mentioned,those are beautiful photo’s!! I also like your report on your day out steelheading.Thanks for sharing & tight lines & Steelheads ON!! ?????

Sweet pics Josh. Take care of that knee man. I did mine in chasing chrome 3 years ago. Even with babying mine it is limiting my bush walks lately. Did you just break the shear pin on the Minn Kota? We snapped the output shaft on mine the last trip (you know where). Paul walked back out to his truck and drove to my place for my spare while I babysat the boat and a few very light biters for an hour until he got back. Ordered a new motor right from the creek, had it rushed to Angling Outfitters and haven't had good water to run in since. Oh well, back to drywalling.

Nope, I've broken many many shear pins and always carry a few spares. I've also snapped a couple shafts resulting in paddling. This time I just broke one of the prop blades off which was a first for me. Still had just enough power to navigate through the tricky stretches but man was it shaking from being off balance! Lol! I've got a few Minn Kotas lying around for parts and pick up any between 40lb and 50lb thrust when I see them on Kijiji for around $100

The knee is still swollen and a little purple but I'm walking better today. I'll be out for morning fish tomorrow before class ?

Josh

Reactions: Jay
I carry a spare prop, half a dozen pins and a spare mounting bracket at all times. Those motors are tough but solid bottom is tougher. 19 years with Thorn under us and now on motor #5. Keep up the fight youngster. I want to get out this week but the wifes birthday is the end of the month and I want to have the living room done by then. Stripped it to the studs last fall and ran into issues that had to be fixed before I could rebuild it. Hung the last sheet of drywall last night. Now the fun begins.

Lay it thin, multiple coats, and giver time to dry, one direction are a time. Hope it doesn't take a long to tape as it did for you to drywall. Itll be 2019 before you get fall steel again!
I carry a spare prop, half a dozen pins and a spare mounting bracket at all times. Those motors are tough but solid bottom is tougher. 19 years with Thorn under us and now on motor #5. Keep up the fight youngster. I want to get out this week but the wifes birthday is the end of the month and I want to have the living room done by then. Stripped it to the studs last fall and ran into issues that had to be fixed before I could rebuild it. Hung the last sheet of drywall last night. Now the fun begins.

Sma
Lay it thin, multiple coats, and giver time to dry, one direction are a time. Hope it doesn't take a long to tape as it did for you to drywall. Itll be 2019 before you get fall steel again!
Smart ass?

So for those of us that don't know you, may I ask in what neck of the woods these lovelies were caught???

I usually fish tributaries of Lake Huron, Georgian Bay and Lake Erie. They all have great fishing available! Many years of experience and keeping a careful eye on weather and water conditions leads to my decisions on where to fish from day to day....

Josh

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks