If you're looking for a new kicker...

DaveJ

Just a heads up...in my search for a new kicker, I found that Hully Gully has some non-current Yamahas that they purchased..brand new 2017s. I picked up an 8hp long shaft at a good price.

Ahem... Bridge Yachs... Where you at?

Who sold it to you? A guy I used to work with just started as a salesman there.

congrats DaveJ on your kicker purchase..

back in the day chuck at hully gully gave me great price on a yamaha grizz & honda & suzuki OB...when they use to buy specific in bulk..
my most recent great buys was with Ed at Bridge Yachts...

whats with 25hp and under yamaha outboards for a charging harness for charging boat battery...I read you buy and install a rectifier/harness kit..

Congrats on the buy Dave..gotta love when a good deal comes around...I lucked out a couple years ago on my 15 etc h.o kicker...got it at dealer cost and 10 year full warranty.

Ahem... Bridge Yachs... Where you at?

Who sold it to you? A guy I used to work with just started as a salesman there.

Thanks for sharing, I am on the hunt and I'll give them a call tomorrow. Xtreme said they had only (1) 9.9 in stock.

PM me the price. Good chance you’ll help his buddy some more if it’s a good deal ;)

Never had a kicker, but I do know I want the easiest to use and most reliable setup. Any tips where to start?

CH312 I have had both Yamaha and Merc. Both have been decent, but if I had my choice I would go Yamaha. I find the Merc to be a little more finicky on cold start up. Depending on your boat look at the high thrust models for better boat control.

Thanks for sharing, I am on the hunt and I'll give them a call tomorrow. Xtreme said they had only (1) 9.9 in stock.
PM'd you.
Remote setup is with one of the pro-kicker styles that have all the controls at the helm, power tilt, etc. The cost is higher due to the setup...on top of the higher engine costs, the control hardware will be in the $1500 range. A 9.9 Merc pro kicker will run around $3800..starts to add up.
Easiest is linking your kicker to the main with a steering rod setup..you have to manage the startup and throttle speed at the kicker but steer with your main. Ive always used this setup.

@DaveJ Yea that's what I wanted but I abandoned the idea once I realized how much more (cost and effort) that setup would be just to have controls at the helm. My brother made a really good point when I spoke to him about it, save the cost and invest it in a FishHawk. Put the headunit near the kicker so you can see it while adjusting the throttle.

@taper That is the reason I went with Suzuki. EFI doesn't care about cold. Just push a button an it starts. Should be noted that the new merc proKicker 15hp are EFI too, just not the 9.9

@DaveJ Yea that's what I wanted but I abandoned the idea once I realized how much more (cost and effort) that setup would be just to have controls at the helm. My brother made a really good point when I spoke to him about it, save the cost and invest it in a FishHawk. Put the headunit near the kicker so you can see it while adjusting the throttle.

@taper That is the reason I went with Suzuki. EFI doesn't care about cold. Just push a button an it starts. Should be noted that the new merc proKicker 15hp are EFI too, just not the 9.9
@Wildfire I was @Xtreme Marine recently,and you are right about the 9.9 merc proKicker not having EFI as well. Apparently,Brad a salesman there that I talked to,said that next year the 9.9 merc proKicker will have the EFI. There will
be no more carburetor’s built in them anymore,and this is the problem with my 2007 merc proKicker right now,is that the carburetor is “gummed up,” and occasionally stalling out!! (first time in 14 year’s). I hope to exchange my merc proKicker next year for a 9.9 EFI.

@Red Hering You can have an EFI 9.9 now if you want. Just won't say Mercury on the side. :)

Tohatsu's 9.9 is EFI too, and since they make the small Mercs, the "All new EFI merc ProKicker" is likely the same thing.

Tohatsu 9.9 hp EFI 4-Stroke Benefits​

• Simpliq™ Technology - the result of continuous technological innovation fueled by the pursuit of nothing less than the very best
  • Designed with innovative technology

:rolleyes:

Marketing department sure had their thinking (read: 🐂:poop:) hats on that day.

• Simpliq™ Technology - the result of continuous technological innovation fueled by the pursuit of nothing less than the very best

Excellent information @Wildfire 👍🙂 and thanks for your time & it’s very much appreciated!! 👊👍🙂

Just picked up a Suzuki 6 hp long shaft (df6a) from Bridge Marine. Got the last one, inventory is running low everywhere.

If anyone buys something from Hully Gully tell Ben Dave Jack sent you..I'll get a gift card!!!

I looked at the Tohatsu and if the Yamaha deal hadn't happened thats probably what I would have done. Great reviews..and they make Mercs and Hondas under 20hp

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks