Off Topic Yeah so I am an Idiot

Always fight your ticket ! Reason ; The CO must appear in court to give evidence . No CO no trial . You walk !
If he does show …. plead your case that the government issued description was invalid ie; West vs East side ? Have evidence to show the Judge. Btw ; Wear a suit, do not lose your temper, refer to him the Judge as "Your Honour" and a little head bow goes a long way to in showing respect to the Courts.
I would not say anything about your dad teaching you or even how long you have been on Long Point fishing because that would lead him to believe you should have known better.

And frankly... you should've ! Most marinas have signs posted showing the sanctuary. Past editions of the Regs had it in them. Remember the onus is on you/us to know the Regs pertaining to what game we are after. As for the CO handing out a warning ? I really wish they would do more educating instead of penalizing but I think those fines go straight into the MNR's bank account.

I think there is a map on this sites header showing the Sanctuary with a disclaimer/correction as to the West/East description.

I appreciate all reply’s posted, mostly supportive that’s cool. And yes as I said as well I should have known better. This is not about east vs. West side of the bay it’s about where is the line and decent sight line to know it. I am getting a nautical chart to see how far over the line I was guessing less than km. And to make sure I stay legal in future. Wrong is wrong but will respectfully throw myself onto the mercy of the court.

I see some have written how poorly the regs are written and I agree they are not clear. But I have spoken with that co officer quite regularly as I have gotten to know him a bit. And he says this sanctuary is on of the only ones marked so we should happy with what we have by it being marked under normal circumstances.

Well the Inner Bay Sanctuary has been in place for as long as I can remember, (turn 50 this year). Now to the best of my knowledge the eastern edge has never been marked but the western edge has always had adequate buoys with flags. Easy to follow from the west of Little Rice Bay to the lighthouse in the water off St. Williams. Since you were boating out of Turkey Point that leaves you the option to fish east of Pottahawk bar or run through the Sanctuary to the western boundaries and fish away. Should have been easy to drift away on the western side with an east wind. Good Luck in Court....

@Richardscott999: Hope you weren't to forceful telling him you weren't in a sanctuary. A little a$$ kissing sometimes helps.. Hope you get a break though....Good Luck

Idk boys, I mean no disrespect but if you cant understand stay out of the east half of the bay till bass opener.....
What separates east from west ? Is there an painted red line? Border crossing? Point is there used to be markers out up. If they have time to be in the boat patrolling they had time and have time to install the markers. Second the wording for years was wrong in the regs. It clearly said the west half is a sanctuary when it was the east half. It's not an excuse but they could do a better job. I agree in this case under these circumstances a warning would have been sufficient

What separates east from west ? Is there an painted red line? Border crossing? Point is there used to be markers out up. If they have time to be in the boat patrolling they had time and have time to install the markers. Second the wording for years was wrong in the regs. It clearly said the west half is a sanctuary when it was the east half. It's not an excuse but they could do a better job. I agree in this case under these circumstances a warning would have been sufficient
Read the regs before you chirp, clearly states MNR doesn't have to mark sanctuaries, they provided the description in the summary, if you cant look at a map and figure out east half west half of the bay then call MNR and ask for clarification, you dont just go and then chirp on social media after you get busted.....look at Detroit river and St Clair river, no red line painted down the border there...

Hey @Nitro1 didn’t realize I was chirping thought maybe I would help others to avoid what I did wrong and perhaps get some clarification. And by the way they normally mark the bay to avoid exactly this.

Hey @Nitro1 didn’t realize I was chirping thought maybe I would help others to avoid what I did wrong and perhaps get some clarification. And by the way they normally mark the bay to avoid exactly this.
That reply wasn't to you it was to the other guy. I get that normally they mark it but this clearly isn't a normal year, and I was also pointing out that there is no rule that says MNR has to mark sanctuaries, they simply have to inform us where one is and it's up to us to ask for clarification before hand rather than after, this sanctuary has been in place forever. I get it, it sucks getting a ticket that's why I said I mean no disrespect but the responsibility is on us as anglers and hunters to know where we are and what the rules are at all times.

Hey @Richardscott999 I don't think you were chirping at all. Sucks that the C.O wrote you the ticket instead of like some of the other posters said provided some education on the area etc. I could see you had been stopped in the past for fishing in the closed off area before then write you then ticket. Doesn't hurt to try and fight the ticket but as mentioned say your Honor etc and show respect and see what happens. The judge may even lower the fine you never know.
Nitro, I don't know you but posts like that is why I think some members either want to leave or not post. If you have never broken the law in your life kudios to you, but Richardscott999 was not chirping at all in my opinion. He admitted he made a mistake and was just letting board members know and to be careful.

Read the regs before you chirp, clearly states MNR doesn't have to mark sanctuaries, they provided the description in the summary, if you cant look at a map and figure out east half west half of the bay then call MNR and ask for clarification, you dont just go and then chirp on social media after you get busted.....look at Detroit river and St Clair river, no red line painted down the border there...
Like I said the regs were completely written incorrectly for years ...I have an old book showing this ..calling the opposite. They finally got it right...no where in the regs does it says what landmarks to line up..or even what landmarks are which..to an inexperienced but responsible fisherman they would need a nautical chart. Some ramps have it posted with a map. International borders are actually in red lines on my finder with lake maps ..this makes it easy. Again a simple warning for this fellow seemed more reasonable.

Hey @Richardscott999 I don't think you were chirping at all. Sucks that the C.O wrote you the ticket instead of like some of the other posters said provided some education on the area etc. I could see you had been stopped in the past for fishing in the closed off area before then write you then ticket. Doesn't hurt to try and fight the ticket but as mentioned say your Honor etc and show respect and see what happens. The judge may even lower the fine you never know.
Nitro, I don't know you but posts like that is why I think some members either want to leave or not post. If you have never broken the law in your life kudios to you, but Richardscott999 was not chirping at all in my opinion. He admitted he made a mistake and was just letting board members know and to be careful.
Read all the posts, I already replied informing him I wasnt saying he was chirping but thanks for coming out.

Like I said the regs were completely written incorrectly for years ...I have an old book showing this ..calling the opposite. They finally got it right...no where in the regs does it says what landmarks to line up..or even what landmarks are which..to an inexperienced but responsible fisherman they would need a nautical chart. Some ramps have it posted with a map. International borders are actually in red lines on my finder with lake maps ..this makes it easy. Again a simple warning for this fellow seemed more reasonable.
All I'm saying is you clarify before you go out, you dont just go out and hope for the best because like this guy did, sometimes you get caught. Seems like anymore no one is responsible for their own actions, but to be fair, Richard did say it was his fault, credit for that!

If you where at ec 10 you where clearly in the eastern portion of the inner bay don’t cry that you didn’t know this is ridiculous know the rules before fishing no accuse why is anyone defending this guy

All I'm saying is you clarify before you go out, you dont just go out and hope for the best because like this guy did, sometimes you get caught. Seems like anymore no one is responsible for their own actions, but to be fair, Richard did say it was his fault, credit for that!
No excuses but under these circumstances and being there are NO markers where there once was, a reasonable thing would be issue a reasonable warning and education perhaps. The fact that they couldnt get the regs right for years show mistakes happen!

As always this site provides different perspectives. I have admitted I am in the wrong, no need for people to get pissy. It is my right to stand before the judge for whatever reason I so choose. If I so choose this.

No excuses but under these circumstances and being there are NO markers where there once was, a reasonable thing would be issue a reasonable warning and education perhaps. The fact that they couldnt get the regs right for years show mistakes happen!
Hey man your only argument here is there was a mistake years ago and you've said it's fixed now so let it go, you are right there is an option for a warning and an option for a ticket just like every ticket every CO or Cop gives, in this case it was a ticket. If you're driving somewhere in the county sometimes its kilometers where there is no speed limit sign, some roads don't even have speed limit signs, doesn't mean you can just drive whatever speed you want then say there wasn't a sign so I shouldn't get a ticket...I get what your saying, a warning is an option, so is a ticket.

I agree @Stick why you and other lifers have needed to walk away for a while... He didn't say he was tethered to EC10 like some sort of air mattress transient, he said he was near it which could cause all the misguided opinions here. No one but @Richardscott999 and the CO were there that day. It is good to see the CO's out patrolling, but sucks that they do not give warnings first. I have met @Richardscott999 out perching in the bay last fall, and he seems very well knowledgeable with LPB. I also know the possible CO Allen, who is also a decent and reasonable guy. Maybe he handed the least amount fine possible?

Back