Off Topic Yeah so I am an Idiot

If you where at ec 10 you where clearly in the eastern portion of the inner bay don’t cry that you didn’t know this is ridiculous know the rules before fishing no accuse why is anyone defending this guy
Who's defending what happened? Are you just trolling for an argument here? He said he was fishing west of ec10, ec10 is about 1.5 km inside of the west boundary of the sanctuary. How do you know it wasn't 500m or 50m inside of that boundary? Thing is, I don't see how it matters. Mistakes happen and in this case its gonna cost him. What do you get outta slamming a fellow member with comments like this "this is ridiculous" and "pay the fine and shut up" seems to me like your just trying to get a rise.

I dunno but it takes some big bell sinkers to come on here an admit something like that in my opinion. We all screw up... it happens... we're human. LoL ! The reason I say fight every ticket is ; Sure, you might get lucky and beat it but the lesson is still learned. As for shooting times ? If you purposely tamper with your watch then you meant to break the law but in Richards case he really thought he was ok to fish. As for the markers ? I use to find them washed up in the marsh all the time when I was young and drop them off at one of the marinas. So were they out there but got washed away ? Was the MNR negligent in not putting them out ?

I dunno but it takes some big bell sinkers to come on here an admit something like that in my opinion. We all screw up... it happens... we're human. LoL ! The reason I say fight every ticket is ; Sure, you might get lucky and beat it but the lesson is still learned. As for shooting times ? If you purposely tamper with your watch then you meant to break the law but in Richards case he really thought he was ok to fish. As for the markers ? I use to find them washed up in the marsh all the time when I was young and drop them off at one of the marinas. So were they out there but got washed away ? Was the MNR negligent in not putting them out ?
No there are no markers I spoke with co and he said at this time there are none. They are not out because of Covid. He fucked up plain and simple he admits that’s. Pay the man and be on with it and chalk it up to an expensive lesson.
If the regs were wrong in the past so be it but they are correct this year.

I agree with @Old Cut LongPointer big bell sinkers. The mnr has talked about not putting signs out for years and because of covid they didn't this year and this might be the norm from now on. The hard thing is they don't give out warnings for fishing in a sanctuary or above the invisible closed line in a creek doesn't matter if only a foot passed that area.

Sorry but EVERYONE should know if you fish anywhere near ec10 you are in the MIDDLE of the sanctuary.

People: The ministry is too light on poachers. Poachers should get jail time, throw the book at them.

Same people (when forum user gets clipped):

Aahhh buddy, they shoulda gave you a warning, what jerks they should educate more than enforce..... it’s all about the dollars blah blah blah.

The moral of the story: Enforcement is a completely thankless job where you will never be right.

OP. Go speak to a prosecutor, you will get your ticket reduced by half in most courts. Trial will end with you convicting yourself. Good luck.

Here's the full description of the sanctuary extents. Dead simple ;)

" (1) The waters of that part of Lake Erie in the townships of Delhi and Norfolk, in the Regional Municipality of Haldimand-Norfolk, being composed of all the waters of Inner Bay of Long Point Bay, including all waters joining said Inner Bay lying within the following limits: commencing at the intersection of the water’s edge of Inner Bay of Long Point Bay with the westerly limit of Lot 1, Concession B, as shown on the plan of the Township of Charlotteville; thence northerly along that westerly limit to the intersection with the easterly limit of the right-of-way of Haldimand-Norfolk Region Road Number 16; thence northerly along that easterly limit to the intersection with the southerly limit of the right-of-way of the travelled road known locally as Front Road; thence easterly along that southerly limit across Lots 1 to 10 inclusive, Concession B, as shown on the plan of the Township of Charlotteville, to the intersection with the northwesterly production of a line joining a control survey monument, indexed with the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry as station 008750128, located on the northerly extremity of Pottahawk Point, 42°36′35.76073″N., 80°17′10.00336″W. and a control survey monument, indexed with the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry as station 008750127, located on the lands of the Turkey Point Marina, 42°39′57.40627″N., 80°19′52.25129″W.; thence southeasterly along the northwesterly production and the line to the said control survey monument on Pottahawk Point; thence south astronomically to the water’s edge along the southerly shore of Long Point; thence westerly along that water’s edge to the intersection with a line drawn on a course of south 26°00′ east from the place of beginning; thence north 26°00′ west along that line to the place of beginning. "

I was disappointed to see that the markers were not out this weekend, and made sure to stay well back from the sanctuary instead of fishing where I had intended to go, which was closer to the line.

Strange that COVID made putting out markers buoys too risky, but dealing with anglers not risky.

I was disappointed to see that the markers were not out this weekend, and made sure to stay well back from the sanctuary instead of fishing where I had intended to go, which was closer to the line.

Strange that COVID made putting out markers buoys too risky, but dealing with anglers not risky.
Any luck fishing from this past weekend @anonymoose? :unsure: Thanks in advance.?????

Know where to fish - know slot sizes, know season - the onus is on us, the fisherperson. Having said that, you wrote: "CO said he did not think I was poaching but had no choice but to issue the $300 fine." Sorry but, he did have a choice. Given your explanation & the fact you had no fish in the boat - he could have used it as a learning/teaching opportunity - given you a warning and should he see you again doing the same thing - slap a fine on you. Shame they have to be heavy handed all the time. Fish in the boat, fish out of the boat - is there a difference? YES. Conversing with him politely and thinking you were fishing properly vs. flagrant violation and being ignorant with him - warrants different outcomes. He had a choice - he choose not to exercise his choice - shame on him!

Talk about the perfect example of choosing carefully what one decides to share and not share with others.

I would venture to say this doesn't happen again.

You can go for early resolution with the crown and hope it goes well.

Exactly that's a load of BS...if you can out your boat in ,have manpower, they should be out .. they set a precedent before.

I recognize that the onus is on the fisherman to know slot size, limit, boundaries of sanctuary etal. However if the ministry wants to truly protect the bass during spawn or other species in other areas why would they not mark the sanctuary? Certainly has been in the past and I guarantee if they had I would have not had a reason to create the post. I like most obey the law not just when it’s convenient but always, when I can with the knowledge that I have. Lacking knowledge I make mistakes and in this case will never make the same one again.

Dave J would a cell phone flashlight count as a working flashlight?
Nope!!! Been there..done that...a cell phone does not count as a flashlight. They will ask you to toss it in water of so. My friends in the next boat over got stopped a few years ago and his batteries were dead. He said we both have lights on our phones.. they said OK toss them in water. My friends were polite and respectful and really no reason for that Was an OPP and CO together. Some of these laws are so outdated. Everyone now has means of communication but they treat it like its 1950. Anyways I keep a wind up flashlight ( floating) with me know.

It's a shame that the MNR is not more technology savvy. There is no reason why they should not have a real-time interactive guide that is GPS enabled that provides all the details you need in exactly the position you are in (or in any position you point to). This could be a google maps overlay, or something you can load onto your chartplotter (i.e. garmin, huminbird etc...), or a GPX waypoints file for download etc...
Their current site - FishOnline - already has all the info, but they haven't integrated anything and forces you after picking a region to still look through all the exceptions, additional fishing opportunities etc... I'm new to Ontario, so all these area are not familiar, and it drives me nuts... ie. recently was trying to figure out on the grand river - am I between these two points and one of the references was ambiguous as it refers to a road reference of which there are multiple roads in Ontario with the same name. There is no reason for it anymore which is the sad part and would make everyone's livers much easier.
I agree with a lot of the discussion above - when the boundary reference is listed as the line between two widely separated points, and one of them is not a regular reference point on a chart that you can draw a line across, then it is really tough when you are in the middle of the line to judge whether you are on one side or the other of the line. Throw in bad weather conditions, or the fact that you want to have your chartplotter zoomed in to see the bottom details of where you are at and you won't be able to see your position relitive to reference points that are off your screen. Yes, it's your job to know, and yes, people have been getting by for years, but there is no reason it should be that hard... Evolve with the times MNR!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks