Off Topic Yeah so I am an Idiot

@duckman, I must have got it wrong I thought for a second you were saying I was poaching bass. Cause I would be out there poaching and then get caught at it and then tell the world. That’s pretty clever of me. But I must be mistaken that you would say that since you know me so well.

@duckman, I must have got it wrong I thought for a second you were saying I was poaching bass. Cause I would be out there poaching and then get caught at it and then tell the world. That’s pretty clever of me. But I must be mistaken that you would say that since you know me so well.
@Richardscott999 I replied to your post in the beginning. Now I can only say this with respect. In the future it's not advisable to post something like this as you opened a door that led to some bashing
I do get what was your intention with your post , I wish you a great fishing season and a fish full of cooler this year

@Ticker. I knew that I would take some shots with this post but decided to tell the fishing story anyway. Really just wanted to make others aware of the sanctuary and to be aware of where you are at. Thanks for the good wishes I extend them back to you as well.

Rick

RE: cell phone flashlight

The flashlight just needs to be watertight; doesn't need to float. If your phone is waterproof or in a waterproof case and has a functioning 'flashlight' feature it should meet the requirement.

Really ? We are talking about flashlights now ? Gimme a break ! Poor guy comes on here to warn everybody about being careful due to his experience out there and gets chastised ? I swear we were told to play nice or else ?

Hey @jerk bait not disputing your experience at all, just pointing back to the regs. Most phones aren't waterproof so I can understand an officer being skeptical and asking for proof.

Are you saying they asked him to toss the phone in the water to prove that it floats, not just that it's waterproof? I don't think that's supported by any regulations but could be wrong :)

Wave Runner ; He who is without sin can cast the first stone ? So... yes. Been there , done that . Well not exactly what Richard went through but at 63 I've lived enough experiences to become old and wise and have paid my share of the tax on stupidity.

Wave Runner ; He who is without sin can cast the first stone ? So... yes. Been there , done that . Well not exactly what Richard went through but at 63 I've lived enough experiences to become old and wise and have paid my share of the tax on stupidity.
Just ribbing you so no offense meant and none taken. Yes we have all been through some painful life lessons. :)

Hey @jerk bait not disputing your experience at all, just pointing back to the regs. Most phones aren't waterproof so I can understand an officer being skeptical and asking for proof.

Are you saying they asked him to toss the phone in the water to prove that it floats, not just that it's waterproof? I don't think that's supported by any regulations but could be wrong :)
Yes I was in next boat over . Watched it. He had a flashlight proper one too but batteries were really low. They said no good. He said both me and my brother have cell phones with lights. They said ok toss them in water . He laughed thinking they were joking. Not so . He then asked if he could borrow a flashlight from me a mere 20 feet away.. they said NO. Either put you phone in water or take the ticket. Your choice. They took the ticket. Just a word of caution get them on wrong day and dont expect your phone to save you even though it's a reliable means of communication.. needs updating badly ... as I said I keep a wind up flashlight now ..

"Either put your phone in the water or take the ticket" - at the risk of continuing to kick the dead horse, doesn't this suggest that if you can show that your phone is watertight (e.g. by dunking it or otherwise convincing the officer) and it has a working flashlight function then there should be no issue and no ticket? If not, why even offer this 'test'?

Functionally, my phone light is brighter than the crappy light that came in my orange safety can and as above, the regs don't require that the light must float (watertight, yes)

In any case, certainly doesn't hurt to carry a spare light in the emergency kit and I do as well. Sounds like you guys ran into these officers on a bad day… peace and tight lines

"Either put your phone in the water or take the ticket" - at the risk of continuing to kick the dead horse, doesn't this suggest that if you can show that your phone is watertight (e.g. by dunking it or otherwise convincing the officer) and it has a working flashlight function then there should be no issue and no ticket? If not, why even offer this 'test'?

Functionally, my phone light is brighter than the crappy light that came in my orange safety can and as above, the regs don't require that the light must float (watertight, yes)

In any case, certainly doesn't hurt to carry a spare light in the emergency kit and I do as well. Sounds like you guys ran into these officers on a bad day… peace and tight lines
Simple answer..power trip and tryimg to prove a point. My friends were not even objecting or giving them a hard time. Guess they could have offers to dump water on the phone either or I guess... still time to update the law ...

I guess it depends on the CO. I was checked a few of years ago and of course the batteries that worked a couple of weeks prior were now dead. The CO must have taken pity on my grey beard because he did not write me a ticket thankfully. Now I have spare batteries with me and also a spare flashlight.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks