Off Topic Yeah so I am an Idiot

Richardscott999

Yeah you don’t need to tell me l am idiot I already feel like one. Like all on this board I was needed my fishing fix. Went out of TP Saturday early afternoon to miss the rush and it was quick at the ramp. Set up to troll just west of EC10. Just get going and along comes Mr CO. I waved him hello as I am puttering along with my rod in hand. He pulls up and tells me to pull in my line as I am in the sanctuary. I said no i’m not look at the map on stomps which I show him on my iPad. He says I am and he should know so I accept that. While he is writing me up I look up the regs which are also on my IPad. Says East side of the bay is closed and that’s it no further description, silly me I thought I was well on the west side. He explains west side of sanctuary is from St Williams ligthhouse down to Little Rice Bay Point. With my old eyes from EC10 I could not see the lighthouse or identify Little Rice Bay.

My father fished the bay (Brownie was his handle and he was one old time fisherman) and taught me his ways. Been on this water for most of my 60 years. I was wrongly of the impression that the sanctuary west side was the water tower to the north to millionaires to the south, this I told to CO. I am not trying to say I am in the right, clearly I was not but three extenuating circumstances. 1) the sanctuary borders are not defined anywhere in the regs or even on the internet that I could find and I looked after I got back. 2) normally the sanctuary borders are marked with posts which they are not probably another Covid problem. 3) the identifiers of the west side borders are difficult to impossible to line up visually (CO gave me a map that clearly shows the boundaries ,the ministry should consider posting this somewhere)

I try and live my life as an honest person, I don’t break the law, I don’t take fish over limit or out of season. I love the bass fishing and would not knowingly disturb the spawn. Frustrated and embarrassed over the whole thing. CO said he did not think I was poaching but had no choice but to issue the $300 fine. Pretty expensive education and the price for being dumb. May take my day in court over this as this issue is costing me sleep.

Rick

Wow that sucks Rick. I suppose it could have been much worse if he felt that you were pouching?
It seems to me as the people become more and more educated about the rules (generally) there is a growing lack of consistency and clarity.

Sorry to hear @Richardscott999... expensive life lessons always hurt especially when we think we're doing the right thing. Not having the sanctuary marked this year certainly didn't help your cause. Hope you ended up at least catching some fish outside the sanctuary. :)

It is unfortunate that you got a ticket as one likes those. It does suck that there are no markers for those who do not know where the line is but like you said in your post markers or not you would have been on the wrong side. I do agree some parts of the regs are hard to read and understand. Shit happens and tomorrow’s another day. $300 is a bit steep tho.

Yeah you don’t need to tell me l am idiot I already feel like one. Like all on this board I was needed my fishing fix. Went out of TP Saturday early afternoon to miss the rush and it was quick at the ramp. Set up to troll just west of EC10. Just get going and along comes Mr CO. I waved him hello as I am puttering along with my rod in hand. He pulls up and tells me to pull in my line as I am in the sanctuary. I said no i’m not look at the map on stomps which I show him on my iPad. He says I am and he should know so I accept that. While he is writing me up I look up the regs which are also on my IPad. Says East side of the bay is closed and that’s it no further description, silly me I thought I was well on the west side. He explains west side of sanctuary is from St Williams ligthhouse down to Little Rice Bay Point. With my old eyes from EC10 I could not see the lighthouse or identify Little Rice Bay.

My father fished the bay (Brownie was his handle and he was one old time fisherman) and taught me his ways. Been on this water for most of my 60 years. I was wrongly of the impression that the sanctuary west side was the water tower to the north to millionaires to the south, this I told to CO. I am not trying to say I am in the right, clearly I was not but three extenuating circumstances. 1) the sanctuary borders are not defined anywhere in the regs or even on the internet that I could find and I looked after I got back. 2) normally the sanctuary borders are marked with posts which they are not probably another Covid problem. 3) the identifiers of the west side borders are difficult to impossible to line up visually (CO gave me a map that clearly shows the boundaries ,the ministry should consider posting this somewhere)

I try and live my life as an honest person, I don’t break the law, I don’t take fish over limit or out of season. I love the bass fishing and would not knowingly disturb the spawn. Frustrated and embarrassed over the whole thing. CO said he did not think I was poaching but had no choice but to issue the $300 fine. Pretty expensive education and the price for being dumb. May take my day in court over this as this issue is costing me sleep.

Rick
WOW!! That’s quite a pricey fine @Richardscott999 & sorry to read!! Even when the buoy marker’s with the flag on top,were marked as a sanctuary over the year’s,they were hard to see while fishing in the inner bay especially when it was windy,it was easy to drift into the sanctuary without knowing.I will stick to fishing off Port Rowan or St.Williams,Bluff Bar for pike for now,(that is just too pricey for a mistake),till the sanctuary is lifted on the opening of bass season,to be on the safe side.?????

That really sucks getting a $300 fine instead of possibly a warning. You mentioned he gave a map?
(CO gave me a map that clearly shows the boundaries ,the ministry should consider posting this somewhere)
Is there any way you could post it on here so it may clarify exactly where the border is from a CO's viewpoint.

I quit hunting because of crap like this. There are rules and regulations that leave the hunter or fisherman to interpret on their own and all is good until COs issue a fine or summons and inform you of the real law after it costs you of course. Do your best to not let it get the best of you if you can. The COs should remember that hunters and fishermen are their customers and they are driving customers away with this crap.

Would it be way to expensive to install an EC 11, and EC 12 bouy, and have the 12 mark the west side of the fish sanctuary?? At least it would always be there, covid or not.

Prob all the fines they have collected over the years would surely cover the cost by now.

It is very hard if you don't know or haven't looked at the picture if the bay with the area marked . 300$ is the minimum fine for fishing in a sanctuary. I actually have a paper copy of it laminated and in my boat glove box to refer too.

We all make mistakes
I personally would go to court, not to figth it but ask the judge humbly and kindly to reduce the fine and explain the situation
You may find a reasonable judge if you dont give attitude and less cost will be your reward

First of all you are NOT an IDIOT... The CO should have taken you hull number down and Gave you warning and have given you the definite boundary line locations if there were no catches in the boat. I would suggest going out after Wednesday and take a short cruise and take some pictures of the less than obvious boundary markings of the sanctuary . I would defiantly challenge the ticket as if you raise reasonable doubt about the clarity of the boundary location markers in the inner bay and are not clear and in plane readable view then this will work in your favor as reasonable doubt . If he had taken your hull number and caught you a second time then yes a ticket is warranted. I Haven't seen definite line site marking in some time and the regs only state …..No fishing - May 15 to Friday before the fourth Saturday in June • Lake Erie - Walsingham and Norfolk Townships, eastern half of the Inner Long Point Bay...…. clear as mud ….. zone 19 page 136.... no map to define or gps locations …. as things are always changed and amended I would get a copy of the current published 2020 guide and show the powers that be.... vague information published …. Reasonable Doubt .... They just like the general public to pay pay pay … like nodding donkeys … I have beat distracted driving tickets and so-called speeding tickets .... Have a voice and stand up for yourself .... This CO should have gave you a warning ….. Good Luck ….

Its like my $125 for not having a working flashlight in the boat (dead battery). Warning would have been sufficient. Id go to court and explain.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks