2017/2018 Inner Bay Ice Fishing Thread

Don't forget the impact of invasive species in the nesting and reproduction in the bay. With the zebra mussels filtering the water and increasing clarity, spawn are more easily preyed upon. Then there are the gobies covering every nook and cranny and destroying fish nests. Add in cormorants and algae blooms and it is no wonder the fishery is suffering.

Correct me if I am wrong. I thought the inner bay & part of the outer bay were commercial restricted zones?

I think your right , They used to have Carp cages at Oldcut, don't know what thats about.
Are carp harvested in the bay, don't know.
As for Gobies in the inner bay, ice fishing there I've never seen any, Gobies tend to live on rocky areas, the bay is mostly mud bottom.

There is a small operation placing some type of nets in the Port Rowan area

I am likely out to lunch, but I think it would be interesting to know what the trends have been in the commercial harvest of fish from the Inner Bay.
I wouldn't say your out to lunch but I would hope the ministry would be monitoring them, don't quote me on this but was there not a commercial fishing captain charge for a number of offenses and his catch out to long causing of wasted harvest. Wouldn't be a bad idea for us all to know what's going on in the bay.

Ive gotten out 3 times now on the bay out of St williams. Caught less than 10 altogether. Cant seem to get on a school just a few here or there.

it doesn’t make sense to me about the bay conditions as the water has been up higher on my sea wall along the causeway more than I can ever remember, and the pike making that much of an impact on perch numbers? Look at a small place like pushlinch, there are tons of pike and still good numbers of big perch around I just don’t get it

From the info that has been relayed to me,they used to generally harvest "course fish" including pike! The inner bay has nets set up from causeway to Turkey Point! They have been there for a long time but still have legal regulations that are fully monitored by MNR?⚓⚓

Well if it makes everyone feel better we have been sitting here in Temagami since Dec 27 and we've caught 2...one itty bitty perch and one walleye. But go to Nip...yeehaw!!!

Anyone know if walking is still alright in St. Williams? Or has the recent snow and higher temps made the walking pretty tough?

(I know this is gonna get me in hot water)

@fshrgrl, is your avatar meant as:
a) a commentary on the quality of the play of this year's team
b) a commentary about the intelligence of the typical fan of the team
c) both

From the info that has been relayed to me,they used to generally harvest "course fish" including pike! The inner bay has nets set up from causeway to Turkey Point! They have been there for a long time but still have legal regulations that are fully monitored by MNR?⚓⚓

Yes I see on the Navionics map after zooming in it showing commercial fishing in the inner bay.
So me being new in the area, i have a question would the net markers or flags in the inner bay be the same as the nets out in the lake assuming the the nets used in the bay are different and for shallow water. ?

The nets that are used in the inner bay are generally along the weed beds (shore line) back in the day when I still worked @ locomotive,I had access to fluorescent tape which I would mark the posts with! Heading out duck hunting in the dark with a Q Beam I could stay clear of em!?

The nets that are used in the inner bay are generally along the weed beds (shore line) back in the day when I still worked @ locomotive,I had access to fluorescent tape which I would mark the posts with! Heading out duck hunting in the dark with a Q Beam I could stay clear of em!?
Thanks for the Update on the fluorescent tape from the locomotive plant,@duck blind,we were wondering ?what happened to the fluorescent tape from the locomotive ? plant. LOL Safety First!!??

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks