2017/2018 Inner Bay Ice Fishing Thread

jamieharrower24

Hearing all the chatter about this season and how its supposed to be a "Normal Canadian" winter Ive been doing alot of thinking about hard water fishing and hope it does come true. Its been along time since the bay was littered in huts, would be nice to see again. Figured Id start a thread to keep all posts and questions related here. I too have a question regarding Walleye in the bay, as in do they come in during the winter ?

Bumping this up because someone will be bound to be checking the ice before the New Year lol

I wonder if LPRCA will allow ice fishing on Waterford Ponds this year after the fatality there last year. I drove by laat week but there was no signage indicating either way.

With retirement just around the corner, I’ve decided to get into some ice fishing this winter. My youngest son wants to get into as well seemingly he owns a quad. So we (I)decided to buy a Rapala M2Cruzer flip hut regular price $549.99 on sale $399.99. Then I mentioned I’m not drilling holes with my hand auger, decision was we ended up getting a Rapala 51cc gas auger regular price $579.99 on sale for $329.99 as well. That’s a $400.00 savings at the Cambridge Sail store.
Now we just have to wait for some thick ice and figure out where we will go. Probably will do some Lake Simcoe out of Virgina Beach and some BOQ for some of their Quinte Gold.
3E80CC2F-360C-460D-9327-4EB0989E9F32.jpeg

Nice shak Three Bouys
Now you need a Mr. Heater
Glad you got a machine to pull it, being retired means your older, those huts can be a heart attack going someplace to happen.:hungover:
On clear ice NO problem, add a couple inches of snow, look out.:eek::wacky::)

Hearing all the chatter about this season and how its supposed to be a "Normal Canadian" winter Ive been doing alot of thinking about hard water fishing and hope it does come true. Its been along time since the bay was littered in huts, would be nice to see again. Figured Id start a thread to keep all posts and questions related here. I too have a question regarding Walleye in the bay, as in do they come in during the winter ?
Caught Perch, Pike, and Rainbows in the bay but haven't heard of any Walleye being caught in the Bay, not saying it wouldn't be possible. Would be nice.(y)
OH almost forgot, "Mudpuppies"

Bumping this up because someone will be bound to be checking the ice before the New Year lol

I wonder if LPRCA will allow ice fishing on Waterford Ponds this year after the fatality there last year. I drove by laat week but there was no signage indicating either way.
to bad it happened but if you read the sinage what does it read and what does it mean to the average man no entry right

With retirement just around the corner, I’ve decided to get into some ice fishing this winter. My youngest son wants to get into as well seemingly he owns a quad. So we (I)decided to buy a Rapala M2Cruzer flip hut regular price $549.99 on sale $399.99. Then I mentioned I’m not drilling holes with my hand auger, decision was we ended up getting a Rapala 51cc gas auger regular price $579.99 on sale for $329.99 as well. That’s a $400.00 savings at the Cambridge Sail store.
Now we just have to wait for some thick ice and figure out where we will go. Probably will do some Lake Simcoe out of Virgina Beach and some BOQ for some of their Quinte Gold.
@Three Bouys, now that's some retirement planning!(y)(y):notworthy:

way to go @Three Bouys on gettin geared up for ice fishin...that sail up the road has offered some great prices and not to bad selection...I bought a couple firearms recently for great value...heres a sail story... for the nice rifle that was clearance priced on there website but sold out so i got the manager of the cambridge store to courier a rifle in stock from a sail montreal store so I could also get value for a mail in rebate that was due to expire...well when the rifle arrived there was no UPC code to submit it for the rebate as it was ripped off the box..omg...so the hunting dept. manager discounted the rifle for the rebate right on the spot...now thats a bargin...lol...very impressive all canadian store I will say...there sticker prices are for the most part the going rate...some of there sails offer good value...checkout there website for sails...

ya I just finished gearin up for saltwater fishin....air transat is letting me take 20 kilos of fishin equipment on the jet at no charge...so I got 2 rods a tackle box and 2 salty rod holders...can't wait to get on the fish...

Last edited:
Yes it is possible to catch a walleye in the bay though incidental..ive seen one brought up the hole only to get off and back down...the fellow who had it on shoved his arm down the hole to try and retreive it but just got wet arm lol...but i got good look at it...water was really cloudy couldn't see 2 feet down that day...also seen a 12 bow come up thru the ice...me lol

2FCC31BF-C3E5-41CB-9EB3-858D9E65DAB9.jpeg 1945E84D-3724-4862-A4CF-F6483FA031BA.jpeg D687D7B9-D8BD-4CE5-AD89-CBF0ADA2187B.jpeg
A Great Idea @jamieharrower24.Hopefully there will be a Ice Fishing Season this year,and like many others,it has been 3 year’s since I have Ice Fished on Long Point Bay.I am hoping to be posting some photo’s,likely not till sometime into the New Year.This mild spell that we are going to be getting this coming week,does NOT LOOK GOOD,for Safe Ice.Tight Lines,& Fish ON!! (y)

9010D783-0143-47BF-81A3-FB2DDE0269CD.jpeg
View attachment 7145
Good Luck to you @Three Bouys and to your youngest son.Great Looking Portable Ice Hut,But,you could of saved some money on the Gas Auger,because half the Fun is drilling,”Many Hole’s,” with the Hand Auger,searching for those Fish!! LOL :rolleyes: Good Luck to the both of you,and maybe we might meet up on the Ice somewhere. Tight Lines,& Good Luck to your First Ice Fishing Season,with your new equipment.:cool:(y)

I remember the days out on the bay we pulled out piles of perch...there was no limit back then...we used a spud to make are holes...or reopen others....didnt have to go far to find the big schools...I remember one hut had a pile of perch skins piled as high as the hut...we drove are vehicles out most winters...same as fishin LSC & thames river catchin pics ...I will never forget the purple lions club school bus coming around the bend driving on the thames river ice and stopped and sold hot drinks and food to us fishermen..and all the pics flopping on the ice...now that was fishin...

way to go @Three Bouys on gettin geared up for ice fishin...that sail up the road has offered some great prices and not to bad selection...I bought a couple firearms recently for great value...heres a sail story... for the nice rifle that was clearance priced on there website but sold out so i got the manager of the cambridge store to courier a rifle in stock from a sail montreal store so I could also get value for a mail in rebate that was due to expire...well when the rifle arrived there was no UPC code to submit it for the rebate as it was ripped off the box..omg...so the hunting dept. manager discounted the rifle for the rebate right on the spot...now thats a bargin...lol...very impressive all canadian store I will say...there sticker prices are for the most part the going rate...some of there sails offer good value...checkout there website for sails...

ya I just finished gearin up for saltwater fishin....air transat is letting me take 20 kilos of fishin equipment on the jet at no charge...so I got 2 rods a tackle box and 2 salty rod holders...can't wait to get on the fish...

The Sail stores are great @mick. I needed the travel cover for it but only Burlington and Etobicoke had 1 left in stock. I called the Burlington store to see if they would courier it. With it being an online sale item they couldn't, but they could send it to Cambridge which would take 10-14 days??????? But they manage to put it on hold for 48hrs and I went down Wednesday after work facing that @#$%^&*traffic all the way from the Lincoln Parkway turn off. Then got into some drifting snow covered roads around Brantford on the way home. There and back to Ingersoll in 3hrs is better than 10-14 days:D

well thats a heck of trip to get your needed travel cover @Three Bouys.. good for you to get.. and now...lol..I am the same way .....ya the sail stores do move there merchandise between stores for customers with there own delivery service, but its not expedited...that needs to be improved for customer satisfaction...thats what they told me with the rifle in montreal its going to take up to 2 weeks to get it...well thats when I got the cambridge manager on the phone and I told him I want the rifle couriered....and sure enough he got it done and on there cost and i had it on day 3... Another Sail store improvement is making a purchase with a credit card over the phone...I complained about that...I was told they are now implementing telephone purchases. I wish we had a outdoor store loaded with gear here in london..like I don't get it...I have had to order more gear & accessories and pay for shipping for stuff we just can't get around here...alot from the U.S. ....ya when you google almost anything outdoors and what comes up is all american sites and ya click on one thats attractive and its loaded with selection and ya think how am i gonna get that? ya for example to build my rifle I am still waiting for my specific leupold scope, talley base/rings and limbsaver pad all coming from the U.S. and I ordered it from reliable guns in Vancouver and will be shipped to me via canada post at no charge and yes best price I could find...what a chore..omg...oh and I was able to find and got a specific 100 rounds of ammo shipped from epps in orillia..I am sure a few others will agree the work we have to do to get what we want...

oh ya ice fishin...well we need -20 temps in january down here for good safe ice...don't forget LSC..there will be good fishin if we get the ice... kens spoons chart. bead for big perch...cleos too for both pics & big perch...think big...bluegills think small...maggots on tear drops...yummm..lol

Last edited:
@mick Do you remember the Jeep's and MacDonld driving them ?.. Yes many moon's ago and no limits, you brought back some memories..Red.. PS. HOWE BROS..(Fred)

that sounds pretty good @Three Bouys if london gets a Sail store next year..I am suprised Cabelas hasn't moved here to london.. another downer is sail policy to order in stuff they don't stock is at a premium...and cabelas won't order in what they don't stock...alot of merchandise on the cabelas site has been discontinued and no longer available...and there prices for the most part are the going rate...I personally don't like cabelas or bass pro...there prices are not attractive...but i did manage to drive a few bargins with them in the past...lol

Hey @Red Fisher I remember the Howe Brothers well....going to the house many of times for live baits for bass fishin located right there in St. williams...don't remember the jeep taxis out on the ice..all bombardiers for there hut rentals yes...now I do remember the one Howe Bro that was always half drunk...lol...they were good to us...ya my family lived in booths harbour for years ...always had our boats going fishin and our snowmobiles ...good memories I can say...my favourite was fishin the point for salmon and sleeping out there on my boat with GF for the weekend..

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks