Fishing Report You never know what'll eat a frog.

Jello

Made my way through the fog this morning and fished the south shore line of the bay. Lots of activity early on the frog. Several pike launching clear out of the water (many miss the frog completely). Bass weren't fully committing to it. I'd follow up with a different bait and get them. Fished 0600 to 1000 - 9 bass, 3 pike, and...... A Bowfin.

It followed the frog like Jaws before hitting. Very cool to witness. Neat fish too, I've never caught one before. Interesting to note that they don't smell fishy.

IMG-20210726-134714.jpg

Made my way through the fog this morning and fished the south shore line of the bay. Lots of activity early on the frog. Several pike launching clear out of the water (many miss the frog completely). Bass weren't fully committing to it. I'd follow up with a different bait and get them. Fished 0600 to 1000 - 9 bass, 3 pike, and...... A Bowfin.

It followed the frog like Jaws before hitting. Very cool to witness. Neat fish too, I've never caught one before. Interesting to note that they don't smell fishy.

IMG-20210726-134714.jpg
What is it??

Never heard of them, are they good to eat, did it put up a good fight
They are warm water fish and are in the ‘do not eat’ side of the fish spectrum. They aren’t even in the guide so try at your own risk.

They are warm water fish and are in the ‘do not eat’ side of the fish spectrum. They aren’t even in the guide so try at your own risk.
Yes, everything I read stated they weren't good table fare.

I caught one once on a top water popper in Big Rice. I thought I had a record Largemouth the way it pulled. They are very aggressive fish. I have read that a lot of the stories of people who get their feet/toes bit dangling them off a dock get blamed on pike or muskie but its actually more likely a bowfin. They swim with the school of their little black babies in the spring and defend them very aggressively.

So many Bowfin (dogfish) in the bay this year . i have always caught one or two a season but never seen this many there every where The largies should be . They hit hard and pull drag and fight till you land them . ive only caught them on cleos spinner baits and mepps agila. Would be cool to see it hit a top water way to go 👍

I was using a heavy rod with a 8.1 gear reel so not much fight when you're sking it accross the top of the water. Lol! Would love to get one on lighter gear though.

I saw one in the shallows last week. I thought it was a Ling at the time.

Thanks for the Inner Bay Report. Sounds like a fun morning. You forgot to mention how many colours of leadcore and what your dipsy settings were! LOL

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks