Yotes

Were i live, Shangrala is centered inside a 100 acre bush. we are surrounded outside that by factory farms, all run dead stock pick up bins, good on them. but bins cost money, dead stock still makes it to the bush? bins, pickup, cost and i get that? and from what i understand, as long as its done quietly, its legal, and probably should be.
i do know, every day when i cruse our back road at stupid o'clock AM, all yote tracks head to and retreat from the bird factories?

There is good science that backs up "compensatory reproduction" as a phenomenon in coyotes where litter sizes go up in relation to prey availability. That said, the litter size doesn't increase by 2 or 4 pups, it is a fraction of a pup. This is the statistical litter size, spread out over a population, hence how you can get a fraction of a pup. I read the primary literature years ago, you can spend your afternoon on jstor if you want to find it yourself.

It really doesn't have a huge bearing on whether or not we can control the coyote population using hunting. The major factor that impacts whether we can control the population is the coyote's own natural mortality rate.

Coyotes reproduce well and defend territories well. If mum and dad defend a territory, and have 4 pups in a year, then there are 6 dogs in that territory. By next year, the number has to be back down to 2. That means that 4 dogs will die, either by a bullet or some other means. The pups disperse, some will survive as nomads without a territory, some will take a spot in an adjacent territory where another animal died, but lots will die.

When we hammer the coyotes hard with hunting, the ones we kill are just making room so that other coyotes don't starve to death.

I'm all for hunting them, although I don't partake much myself. I do get irritated at the attitude that coyote hunters are God's gift to deer or rabbits etc. You don't need science to tell you that hunting doesn't control the coyote population. Just ask one of those groups that hunt coyotes hard. When was the last time you heard one say "we hit them hard the last two years, now we can't find any!"?

Were i live, Shangrala is centered inside a 100 acre bush. we are surrounded outside that by factory farms, all run dead stock pick up bins, good on them. but bins cost money, dead stock still makes it to the bush? bins, pickup, cost and i get that? and from what i understand, as long as its done quietly, its legal, and probably should be.
i do know, every day when i cruse our back road at stupid o'clock AM, all yote tracks head to and retreat from the bird factories?
It isn't legal, and it does stack coyotes up in an area. They are willing to forget about their territories when there is ample food available, just like polar bears on a whale carcass.

It isn't legal, and it does stack coyotes up in an area. They are willing to forget about their territories when there is ample food available, just like polar bears on a whale carcass.
Dead Cow block(Pressey Line-Walker side rd North-Carter rd North-Colledge Line ). NE of Aylmer in Amish country;they feed them all the time.

Ya the coyotes have had a big impact on our small game we used to hunt east & west of st.thomas..ya what happen to all the (jack) rabbits..& plenty of game birds we hunted too...early fall woodcock & partridge..we scored ruffed grouse & ring neck pheasants..ya I remember the good ol days huntin with my dad & uncles & there friends...we brought home plenty of game
sure there were coyotes & fox..not like today..

Ya everybody here today are deer hunters..ya back then small game offered great sport & opurtunuity for the shotgunner...deer hunting & population was lower..our controlled hunt in 92 was only one 4 day hunt in the mid 80s..there was an archery season too..

Last edited:
I had heard what Chris 178 said about coyote populations, but more specifically about taking out the dominant female and then the reproduction increases. However, read a story last night about a fenced ranch in Texas and they eliminated all the feral hogs, which breed worse than coyotes. Maybe there is a little hope taking some out will help in a small area.

Local group here had 7 by noon, only one out of our bush today, rest from surrounding bush's they have permission for.
Well shooting the shite with them at the end lane way, they got a call from a hunt group just to the north, that had 4, and 3 or more they could'd box in with their #'s, and were looking for help. don't know how they made out?
Sure seem's to be a lot of them?

Think they're sending a message, right at the end of the lane-way this morning, fresh tracks in the new snow, thats one night after hunters and hounds pushed this bush?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks