Yotes

can't miss

Local coyote group here seem's to be slamming them, our bush alone got 3 today, 3 a few day's ago. That's only the ones I here of on the radio when they muster a large group of guys, alot of them hunt most days on their own and pop the odd one. They also hunt the surrounding concessions, if #'s are the same, that's alot of yotes?
Throwing lead, doesn't seem to touch the population, yr after yr? if anything, its building? There here, we've never cured any invasive with lead, should we leave the dom's in any given area to regulate there own #'s?
That said, no peta here, I par take here when they release the hounds in my block, just saying pop's just keep rising? Whats everyone else seeing?

@can't miss, Coyotes increase their litter size and pregnancy rates in response to hunting pressure. You can kill as many as you want and next year they will double/triple the population in that area. They are an incredibly adaptable animal. I used to believe in kill on sight, and did so, but hunting alone will never do anything for population control, you aren't saving a deer's life no matter what you think. Next year there will be two yotes for the one you took out, so is it really helping in the bigger picture? Doesn't seem to be a shortage of deer around either, saw lots during the hunt and we punched our tags, saw lots of coyotes too...coyotes increase or decrease litter size in response to available food and space as well. Lots of food, lots of habitat = lots of coyotes. They are here to stay, so plug away at them, or don't, it isn't going to matter in the grand scheme, at least it's something to do in winter since ice seems to be scarce lately.

One interesting thing to think about, typically where there are lots of coyotes, there are few or no foxes as they get out competed and killed or displaced. Foxes eat mainly small rodents, like deer mice. No foxes = lots of deer mice. Deer mice carry the spirochetes bacteria which start the Lyme cycle in deer ticks. About 50% of mice carry the bacteria. So do less foxes = increased risk for Lyme disease transmission to humans from tick bites? I never have and never will kill a fox...

I found a fox den in late Nov and set up a camera. In four days I had 125 pictures of a pair going and coming and in and out of den. Removed camera for remainder of deer hunt. set up again and need to go and check again. Spoke with local trapper and asked if he would release if caught.
Camera will be there all winter now. Will set up a blind for my wife to do some photography come spring. Hoping for some kits.
PICT0016.JPG

Sorry can't miss, didn't mean to hijack your post, I should have started a new thread.

No problem at all, as long as people are chattering, I don't shoot foxes, think there cool? Alot of the yote hunting gang around here will go out of their way to get one, don't get it, pelt's not worth much, like shooting a cat??
Think alot comes from the early 70's rabies outbreaks, now all fox's must be bad. Kinda passed on threw generations,

ya foxes...heres a picture of my new friend I made at my solo cabin way up back in the spring huntin bear & fishin brook trout..He came around every so often for a snack and companyspring walleyes 2019 145.jpgspring walleyes 2019 153.jpgspring walleyes 2019 151.jpg
..ya I gave him just one pepperette at a time..and that was enough..

getting your thread back to coyotes..

I will share an encounter I will never forget..

many years back spring time fishin one of my favourite spring fed creeks for resident rainbows, browns & some brook trout too..I was almost out of the concession when I caught eye quickly of a coyote come runnin/jumpin down a small grassy hill right at me.. for me in the open ...incredible..I started yelling at it about 40 yards then closer yelling louder.. I still remember the thought of using my fishin rod for a whip weapon.. at the last 15 or so it turned direction at the same speed and was gone..

Over the years I know that creek and landowner very well..The farm had sheep back then and the sheep would occasionally graze on that rollling hill and down at the bottom where I was coming out of along the creek (border)..I remember seeing a dead sheep down there a few seasons before..that coyote was coming from the back of the barn at the top of the hill..for one reason...I did think if that healthy looking coyote had brain disease..I don't think so..

and ya a few seasons later I was fishin the same stretch further upstream sitting on a nice pool when I heard a snap...a few more minutes later I sensed & felt something behind me.. I looked slowly through the green foilage and theres 2 sets of yellow eyes..as soon as I made eye contact they ripped out of there..and that was close.. they were heading the direction to the sheep farm..
ya I named the creek coyote creek for a reason..

Last edited:
@can't miss, Coyotes increase their litter size and pregnancy rates in response to hunting pressure. You can kill as many as you want and next year they will double/triple the population in that area. They are an incredibly adaptable animal. I used to believe in kill on sight, and did so, but hunting alone will never do anything for population control, you aren't saving a deer's life no matter what you think. Next year there will be two yotes for the one you took out, so is it really helping in the bigger picture? Doesn't seem to be a shortage of deer around either, saw lots during the hunt and we punched our tags, saw lots of coyotes too...coyotes increase or decrease litter size in response to available food and space as well. Lots of food, lots of habitat = lots of coyotes. They are here to stay, so plug away at them, or don't, it isn't going to matter in the grand scheme, at least it's something to do in winter since ice seems to be scarce lately.

One interesting thing to think about, typically where there are lots of coyotes, there are few or no foxes as they get out competed and killed or displaced. Foxes eat mainly small rodents, like deer mice. No foxes = lots of deer mice. Deer mice carry the spirochetes bacteria which start the Lyme cycle in deer ticks. About 50% of mice carry the bacteria. So do less foxes = increased risk for Lyme disease transmission to humans from tick bites? I never have and never will kill a fox...
Can you please post a link to some credible sources of your statements? I would be interested in reading them. My only argument would be if you decimated the female population of yotes would that not affect the reproduction rate within that area?

Can you please post a link to some credible sources of your statements? I would be interested in reading them. My only argument would be if you decimated the female population of yotes would that not affect the reproduction rate within that area?

Lots of reading on the interweb on the subject. Interesting that both pro and anti-hunting sources generally agree - sport hunting alone is not effective in reducing coyote population. It would require a focused effort to continually suppress numbers over a huge footprint. Shooting 6 or 8 over a winter out of a concession is like digging a hole in the ocean, as I read it compared to on one site. Look at the western US states where they run government funded programs to trap, poison and shoot them from helicopters. They spend huge money and still have coyote conflicts. I would agree, if by some chance you are able to kill all of the females in a block of land the reproduction rate would dip, temporarily. But immigration from surrounding areas would quickly fill that void and by next year you are right back to same if not more yotes. Thats why I say go blast away, kill as many as you want, but it’s not accomplishing population control. I missed an opportunity at a jet black one a couple years ago, if I see another one and have the chance for sure I would love that rug, my reason for killing them is not saving game animals. Really if one wanted to accomplish predator control and reduce predation on fawns and ground nesting birds, yotes should be hunted hard in the spring…but few hunters I know want to kill a coyote with pups in spring, not to mention the worthless fur.

Nov pictures showed a pair each day. This weeks card pull only shows one fox. And one bad guy.

Attachments

• MFDC6109.JPG
    MFDC6109.JPG
    1,014 KB · Views: 59
  • MFDC6112.JPG
    MFDC6112.JPG
    642.8 KB · Views: 59
Chris178, they run the hounds here most Saturday's, all winter, and usually get 3 to 6 per bush per hunt. Shooting the shit with them at the end of my lane a few yrs ago, late season, they were at 130 for that winter.
So just useing hunter's math, sometimes #'s grow?? say 100 for a 5 concession area that yr, that's alot of yotes. Just saying, their not getting 6 out per yr, its each hunt?
I've read alot of the info you mention, culling vrs letting a dom pack rule, and I'm still on the fence on the subject.
I can speak from experience, live here in the rural, there here in larger #'s than most think. Really get a kick when somebody in London see's one along a in town gully somewhere and the town goes on yote lookout, lock down?

Lots of reading on the interweb on the subject. Interesting that both pro and anti-hunting sources generally agree - sport hunting alone is not effective in reducing coyote population. It would require a focused effort to continually suppress numbers over a huge footprint. Shooting 6 or 8 over a winter out of a concession is like digging a hole in the ocean, as I read it compared to on one site. Look at the western US states where they run government funded programs to trap, poison and shoot them from helicopters. They spend huge money and still have coyote conflicts. I would agree, if by some chance you are able to kill all of the females in a block of land the reproduction rate would dip, temporarily. But immigration from surrounding areas would quickly fill that void and by next year you are right back to same if not more yotes. Thats why I say go blast away, kill as many as you want, but it’s not accomplishing population control. I missed an opportunity at a jet black one a couple years ago, if I see another one and have the chance for sure I would love that rug, my reason for killing them is not saving game animals. Really if one wanted to accomplish predator control and reduce predation on fawns and ground nesting birds, yotes should be hunted hard in the spring…but few hunters I know want to kill a coyote with pups in spring, not to mention the worthless fur.
Unfortunately that’s the problem,if you shoot them.You need to skin them.Stops many hunters...

hey @can't miss ...have you tried a local trapper...I would think the MNR should know if theres a trapper in your area maybe willing to help..Farmers that loose livestock to coyotes and wolves have gotten a little help reducing numbers by trapping..
My friend Don from Hearst is very good trapping many wolf and struggles at times keeping the numbers down around his trapper shack way back in the bush...in the fall 2018 a wolf ate his big male german shepard right at the shack when he left him there.. and not for long..Don cried for a month..theres a picture of his new male rotweiller pup..
I took the big bear quote out..lol

spring walleyes 2019 137.jpg

Last edited:
Mick, not sure your point here, not in Hearst, SW ont, yotes ,not bear? Get that he may live big bear country, but doesn't speak to us here?

trapping coyotes might be an option in your area...theres some trappers that are very good at it..wolf & coyote too..

Wolves (canis lupus), coyotes (canis latrans), and domestic dogs (canis familiaris) are closely-related species. All three can interbreed and produce viable, fertile offspring — wolfdogs, coywolves, and coydogs. Through DNA analysis, scientists have established that the wolf is the ancestor of the dog.

Lots of info on trapping coyotes, that dosen't take long to find

Just a few years ago, a friend told my dad that he has seen 22 coyotes crossing the dirt road onto our land. At the time, the deer population was down, and we hardly ever saw a spotted fawn. In addition to this, we had a calf disappear. Around that same time, there was a coyote trapping seminar put on by the Johnson County Young Farmers meeting. Thanks to this seminar, it revived an old passion I had many years ago. I used to wake up really early before I had to get ready for school to run out and check my traps.
Today, trapping is just as fun. It’s really awesome to come up on a coyote you have caught, and he starts barking and howling. It doesn’t happen that often, but when it does, it will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck.
This is the time of year I get my traps back out and start working on the yotes. I’ve caught around 75, and I look at that as a minimum of one fawn per coyote saved. The reward is noticed every time I go hunting. It definitely makes a difference! I see a lot more rabbits, turkeys and quail, too. My neighbors can tell a difference, also. I’ve had a couple come and thank me for the efforts.
1578173289238.png

1578182487368.png

Animal trapping, or simply trapping, is the use of a device to remotely catch an animal. Animals may be trapped for a variety of purposes, including food, the fur trade, hunting, pest control, and wildlife management.

Last edited:
I'll stick to shooting the shit outta them. My goal is not to diminish heards, just have fun and provide pelts to those in need. Just looking for info on what your stating. Everyone talks but few back it up

I'll stick to shooting the shit outta them. My goal is not to diminish heards, just have fun and provide pelts to those in need. Just looking for info on what your stating. Everyone talks but few back it up
By all means shoot as many as you can. I’m not saying there is anything wrong with it. As I mentioned before I don’t think the number of coyotes are having any impacts on local deer herds, not to the point that it’s affecting me negatively in filling my tag anyways. I just get a chuckle when people are posting pics of 1 dead coyote on FB saying how they are doing a great service when in reality they are saying what they need to justify to themselves, or others? Everyone has their own reasons for doing what they do. Can’t miss says above the group around him kill 100+ in a season and it’s not making a dent???

Chris178, they run the hounds here most Saturday's, all winter, and usually get 3 to 6 per bush per hunt. Shooting the shit with them at the end of my lane a few yrs ago, late season, they were at 130 for that winter.
So just useing hunter's math, sometimes #'s grow?? say 100 for a 5 concession area that yr, that's alot of yotes. Just saying, their not getting 6 out per yr, its each hunt?
I've read alot of the info you mention, culling vrs letting a dom pack rule, and I'm still on the fence on the subject.
I can speak from experience, live here in the rural, there here in larger #'s than most think. Really get a kick when somebody in London see's one along a in town gully somewhere and the town goes on yote lookout, lock down?
That’s good first hand info, very surprising the numbers. Surprising how quickly they move in to fill those gaps, almost weekly it sounds like. I don’t know if there is an ultimate solution, or if there even needs to be some goal of managing numbers? I say if you enjoy going out and knocking a few down over the winter go for it.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks