Fishing Report Yet another Burwell July 19 Report

anonymoose

Couldn't turn down an invitation from Captain @noclass, doubly so with the weather forecast being so great. Unfortunately, with a capable captain at the helm, the comedic value of this fishing report will be severely diminished.

Left port shortly after 4 and fished 4:30-7. Set lines in 58FOW and trolled deeper. 5 aboard meant a healthy 10 rod spread, so the big boards came out to play. It was a slow start in 58FOW so we managed to wet all the lines, but we quickly found that wouldn't last. Mostly spoons out, with one RRF. The bite started, and nothing seemed to want to hit close to the boat. Everything was coming off of the 6 and 7 colour lead lines on the boards. LOTS of fish lost at the start, mostly way back too. I blame someone else.

Then all hell broke loose. It was a constant scramble to try to keep lines wet, with fish hammering anything we put out. At one point we had to decide what you call it when there are 6 fish on at once. A sextuple header? ONE of those fish made it into the boat. ONE. Yes, it was none other than your old pal @anonymoose who managed to be the successful one of the group. Of course, with six fish and five fisherpersons, I lost one fish before grabbing another rod and getting it aboard! More impressive than our success rate was the fact that we had 6 on with zero tangles.

Our percentages improved as time went on and the box quickly filled up. The lack of tangles with so many lines coming and going was impressive. Of course, I did manage to birdsnest one lead line while letting it out. The captain quipped "its okay, I'm used to fishing with kids" :LOL: I blame the silky smoothness of the Okuma Cold Water reel, which lets out line much easier than the heap of '80s gear that I dug out of @Stick's basement. A bit of picking was required, but the line eventually cooperated and no harm was done.

Finished with 30 walleye and 2 bows. Lots of smaller fish in the box, but as the voice of wisdom aboard said, "if we were up north you'd drool over that fish".

At some point one of them decided to exact a bit of revenge and gave me a decent cut on the index finger with its gill plate. The blood you see in the box is mostly mine. I've had my rabies shots though, so it is safe for consumption.

20230719_190927.jpg

Last edited:
Couldn't turn down an invitation from Captain @noclass, doubly so with the weather forecast being so great. Unfortunately, with a capable captain at the helm, the comedic value of this fishing report will be severely diminished.

Left port shortly after 4 and fished 4:30-7. Set lines in 58FOW and trolled deeper. 5 aboard meant a healthy 10 rod spread, so the big boards came out to play. It was a slow start in 58FOW so we managed to wet all the lines, but we quickly found that wouldn't last. Mostly spoons out, with one RRF. The bite started, and nothing seemed to want to hit close to the boat. Everything was coming off of the 6 and 7 colour lead lines on the boards. LOTS of fish lost at the start, mostly way back too. I blame someone else.

Then all hell broke loose. It was a constant scramble to try to keep lines wet, with fish hammering anything we put out. At one point we had to decide what you call it when there are 6 fish on at once. A sextuple header? ONE of those fish made it into the boat. ONE. Yes, it was none other than your old pal @anonymoose who managed to be the successful one of the group. Of course, with six fish and five fisherpersons, I lost one fish before grabbing another rod and getting it aboard! More impressive than our success rate was the fact that we had 6 on with zero tangles.

Our percentages improved as time went on and the box quickly filled up. The lack of tangles with so many lines coming and going was impressive. Of course, I did manage to birdsnest one lead line while letting it out. The captain quipped "its okay, I'm used to fishing with kids" :LOL: I blame the silky smoothness of the Okuma Cold Water reel, which lets out line much easier than the heap of '80s gear that I dug out of @Stick's basement. A bit of picking was required, but the line eventually cooperated and no harm was done.

Finished with 30 walleye and 2 bows. Lots of smaller fish in the box, but as the voice of wisdom aboard said, "if we were up north you'd drool over that fish".

At some point one of them decided to exact a bit of revenge and gave me a decent cut on the index finger with its gill plate. The blood you see in the box is mostly mine. I've had my rabies shots though, so it is safe for consumption.

View attachment 76806
lol 😆 @anonymoose !! 👍👍 As I had mentioned in one of your recent fishing post’s is,that I love your comical fishing write up’s,on your day out fishing on a lake,etc.! Keep up the great post’s,for I know that I will get a laugh or three,etc., while I am reading them! 😉👍🙂

Last edited:
Well that's a change of events, a fish bleeding out the fisherman. Hmmm
Walleye tend to be hard on the hands but I've never had one get me like that... was about the second or third fish we brought in and every time I'd get it to stop bleeding another fish would manage to open it up. Was sure thankful someone brought gloves for fish cleaning (hint: it wasn't me!)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks