would love some advise

Naden16

Hi to everyone here. I have been reading all the forums for a month now and love how everyone is sharing their knowledge. This is my first boat ever! 16 aluminum with a brand new 25. Haven't got it out yet but hoping to take it out tmr morning for a couple hours. My son (28) is starting to be interested in fishing so we are going to putt around to start the break in for the motor and wouldn't mind catching something during the process. I was thinking either put in at Hoovers or go to the inner bay. which would be the better of the 2 ?? I'm thinking of safe water firstly as I'm not "supposed" to rev up the motor and some fish as a bonus.
Thanks for any advice received and tight lines to every one,
Brian

I'd hit the inner bay if I were you. Much safer water for just putting around. And lots of small mouth bass to be had. Also a 16 footer can be a bit small for the big water some days. Although its pretty calm out here right now.

i'm not familiar with Hoovers......The inner bay is usually safer than the main lake...but check : sailflow , windfinder, or webcam @ oldcut marina, before you go.

When i break-in or use a motor for first time.....i usually go too small water...like a conservation area lake.....you should let motor idel for 10 min after starting new motor...so i suggest start motor push-off or paddle little ways and drop anchor....so your not blocking dock or boat ramp....use that time to play with depth/fish finder or set rods up..

reason for smaller lakes....is there should be more boats around, or easier to paddle or use electric to get back to shore, if you have a problem ..like prop falling off because factory or dealer didn't install cotter pin (2006 brand new honda from hully gully)

Heres some good advice...I would concentrate your efforts on breaking in your new outboard first. Take your owners manual and a watch for timing and follow the procedure for the throttle speed and time. I wouldn't venture to far offshore from the boat launch until you know its performing properly. Take your VHF and cell phone just in case you have engine failure. I remember breaking in my last new outboard and it took me and a friend about 3 hours. I did bring my fishing equipment for fishing afterwards...we later landed 10 pickeral before dusk...I remember this event well as it was a first date with a new chick ...she was definateley impressed on my fishin skills...anyway that give me another new toy to breakin(y)

Hi to everyone here. I have been reading all the forums for a month now and love how everyone is sharing their knowledge. This is my first boat ever! 16 aluminum with a brand new 25. Haven't got it out yet but hoping to take it out tmr morning for a couple hours. My son (28) is starting to be interested in fishing so we are going to putt around to start the break in for the motor and wouldn't mind catching something during the process. I was thinking either put in at Hoovers or go to the inner bay. which would be the better of the 2 ?? I'm thinking of safe water firstly as I'm not "supposed" to rev up the motor and some fish as a bonus.
Thanks for any advice received and tight lines to every one,
Brian

Here's my advice. Sell your boat NOW....you'll save yourself years of heartache and heartbreak, money, and a marriage. One day you'll even lose your son, as he will start wanting to go fishing more than you do.....and finally, you will lose that boat that you never sold, because your son took it without you.... and you are NOW out $7000 that you spent on it originally. Want my advice....there it is! Get out of the best investment of your life! :)

Hi @Naden16 . The forecast for Sunday might be a bit breezy for a 16 footer on his first trip, to go out in Erie. also 60% chance of T- storms. I'm also from Caledonia. I know the river is busy. Why not try launching from Cayuga (free) or Port Maitland if u really want to try the Lake. If its too windy u can still fish the river.

Sorry to say in my opinion, and it is only my opinion that boat and motor is too small for Nanticoke/Hoovers, actually anywhere on Erie. Unless there is an offshore breeze not offshore wind. Pick your days and check all available weather reports. I might choose Port Dover and put up the river for a nice calm ride. When you get to the fork in the creek stay to the right or east side. The west creek is a dead end at Silver Lake.

Consequence free, stop it. Yoda would never say that.

Welcome aboard. But actually he might be right. I must be serious though any Great Lake is not for a inexperienced first timer in a small boat and motor. I have a 19 foot deep V with a 115 and a back up 15HP kicker with safety items up the wazoo and I consider it on the small side here as well as Lake Ontario. There those here that have 17's but are very, very experienced on big water, they have been boating here for decades, there is a huge difference.

Hi @Naden16 . The forecast for Sunday might be a bit breezy for a 16 footer on his first trip, to go out in Erie. also 60% chance of T- storms. I'm also from Caledonia. I know the river is busy. Why not try launching from Cayuga (free) or Port Maitland if u really want to try the Lake. If its too windy u can still fish the river.

The free ramp has been replaced by equipment that they are not using to build that ridiculous bridge. I know they charge at the trailer park but so what, the river is a good idea, go to Fishmasters in Dunnville, almost free at 5 bucks, less boaters than Maitland. Better know where you are going or you will hung up on a sand bar @Naden16. I worry too much. Go enjoy man. But I would concentrate on breaking in that new motor and familiarize yourself with the operation first. Once you know the boat well go fishing.

Last edited:
If your going to hit Erie, stay in the inner bay until you've worked out the bugs and are comfortable running your boat. If you intend to hit the main lake once you've worked your boat out, keep a close eye on the weather. Tons of guys fish it in 16 footers, myself included but you have to watch the weather and wind forecasts closely and beat it at the first sign of weather coming in, which can happen quickly. I've fished on Lake Ontario and to a lesser degree Erie quite a bit from smaller boats. I don't strictly trust the weather forecast, if things suddenly don't feel right to me, I will still beat it for the dock, even if the weatherman says all is well. I've seen the weather turn unexpectedly very quickly on a few occasions. Have fun and be careful.

Hey @Naden16. If your new boat is the one in your avatar picture it is a very shallow draught and a flatter hull aluminum built for rivers and smaller lakes not Erie, again in my opinion only Sir. I hope you guys don't think I am dissing the guys boat I just think there are proper tools for different jobs so to speak. That is the type of boat if the picture is Naden16's boat we used on the Ottawa when we had a camp there. Run the rapids and get into spots in shallow bays my boat could never go into, ever. I'd rip the bottom of my deep V out as soon as we hit the fast water, no doubt.

if i were you i would go for the inner bay and be sure to break in your motor properly.Lots of bass and pike in the bay. Pay close attention to wind speed and direction. Then choose your spot to launch your boat based on wind direction. If the wind is a North wind launch your boat somewhere on the north shore west wind launch from the west shore and so on this will help you get into some safer calmer water 20km winds plus you might want to consider another day stay safe and have fun.

Just use common sense and u will be fine run the engine a few hrs before heading to far front the trailer I have had two new engines fail on me 2004 honda 50 water impeller 3 min of run time
never left the dock lol
2007 merc 90 1 hr into breakin the wire harness melted I got the battery un hooked before it went up in flames got up graded to my 115 opti for free(y) well not realy free I had to lose my marbles:mad::rolleyes:

Thanks for all that great advice. Yes the plan is to concentrate on the motor. And I want to stay close to shore. It took me over 40 years to get a boat and I will be happy to loose it to my son

Thanks again guys. That's all great advice. I am taking it all very seriously. This is my first boat but I have run some friends boat on occasion so I do know my way around a boat, I just need to get familiar with this one. I have all the required safety equipment plus I have a handheld radio. I know its short distance compared to a hard wired one but I know that and will take that into consideration while out.
I'm not going to sit here and think that is the best Erie boat out there, but it is deeper that it looks in the avatar and I will not be heading too far out in it .
Thanks for your concerns and believe me I do take advice well.
Tight lines to all
Brian

BE VERY CAREFUL!! I totally agree that boat isn't big enough for the lake. It is a very nice boat, and I'd love to have one the same but for inland lakes. Sure there are a few flat calm days you can get out, but she can turn n a second.

Naden, enjoy your new boat, break in the new boat, and yourself, on the inner bay, then experiment.
Fear not the " over 50, and own the lake club" that your boat is to small. But respect their advice, it can be a mean lake. First boat here, was a canoe, then 12 ft tinny with a mighty 2.5hp john, and since then a few decades have passed?????? and a few boats up to 26ft . Now run a 17ft tinny with 40hp out of Pt Bruce, and stay within a few miles of shore.
Have fun, check every weather report you can before boating

learn to trust your gut if its telling you to get of the lake then do it if you don't like how it looks then do something else if the locals are tie up there tie up for a reason

oh ya I had a old guy tell me years ago when I first started fishing erie if you see the herd of elephants comeing in the distance get the hell of the lake as quick as you can its going to get bad and fast lol

Owned a 16 ft aluminum with a 40hp motor for 27 years, and have fished every great lake with it, and too many to mention smaller lakes. You will be perfectly fine with that rig, just use common sense and follow your gut instinct when weather looks like it is going to turn.

Regards
Ken J

Back