Will there be ice fishing in the bay this year?

Will there be ice fishing in the bay this year?

• Yes

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Yes but only in the cooler in the boat

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

Wildfire

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Just wondering if I should bother getting my stuff out. Last winter it just took up garage space.

ice see GIF

winter weather trend in the southwest great lakes is still unpredictable..the jet stream won't stay still..it goes up and down like a roller coaster..
once LSC freezes and then gets mild and breaks up with wind...its a mess

Even with last year's terrible ice season I did manage getting out onto some inland ponds and the amazing fishery of "the bay of empty" with @Dmanwithnoname and @Red Hering a few times. Made a road trip up to Simcoe last year as well. Hell I even spud through the Rowan channel to fish with my son while Mrs EV and my daughter were antique shopping last February

I think the chances of a great season of hard water fishing on LPB is a thing of the past. The warming trend will continue.... go north

Even with last year's terrible ice season I did manage getting out onto some inland ponds and the amazing fishery of "the bay of empty" with @Dmanwithnoname and @Red Hering a few times. Made a road trip up to Simcoe last year as well. Hell I even spud through the Rowan channel to fish with my son while Mrs EV and my daughter were antique shopping last February
Now that my “soft water” season is officially over with my boat for this year,after finding out yesterday that my 7 year old,(not bad-ehh!!). Marine starting battery had completed it’s life cycle,(died),for a trip to Long Point Bay perch fishing today. There is no sense in buying another starter battery for my boat till next Spring of 2021,even though,the perch fishing on Long Point Bay has been,”On Fire!!” ED108B80-E8BA-4C8E-B552-6E04A0484A67.jpeg I am already looking forward for a ice fishing trip or two with you @Extra Virgin and @Dmanwithnoname again for as always,it was a great time.But,in the meantime while waiting for the “hard water” season to come,there are a few day’s left for some shoreline bass fishing 1348FEFC-1A23-4185-87DB-41CCA2FCFB89.jpeg 12C8571F-CD1E-4798-90A7-7E676C013E22.jpeg before the season ends at the end of this month.After that,I will finally fish for Steelhead’s as well on some of the Lake Huron tributaries.I am glad that I don’t Hunt as well!! lol 😂😉 for there are not enough day’s in a week!! Be Safe everyone & Tight Lines!! 👍🙂

Attachments

• 9DDBE1AA-EC4E-4775-877C-DC8AB49A4F6E.jpeg
    9DDBE1AA-EC4E-4775-877C-DC8AB49A4F6E.jpeg
    312.2 KB · Views: 41
I hope the ice will be good this year, only thing I won't be going if the barricade is still up in Caledonia.
It's been an unanticipated blessing moving to the Binbrook area. I take the York bridge or Cayuga over the river.

If LSC & the thames river is NFG for safe ice..I am considering bay of quinte..
why is lake simcoe & cooks bay so complicated for parking?
can anybody share access points to get on the lake on a week day?

my quad is ready to go..I can load it up quick..I put new tires on it and they haven't been on ice yet..

my 4 wheeler is my best ice fishin equipment..lol

my worst equipment is an old mora hand augar 8 inch
What are you guys using for a power augar...I would like to get a 8 inch hole faster & easier..

spring walleyes 2019 180.jpg

I off road tested these new maxus zillas over 700 K..last spring bear hunt..on the hard pack they stick.. smooth riding..top end 102 kms
look forward to be ice & snow tested..

@mick... When I've gone ice fishing with my nephew on Lake Simcoe over the years he uses an 8 inch Normark Fin Bore lll with a 20 volt hammer drive battery drill. I couldn't believe it the first time I went with him he was cutting holes through 24 inches of hard ice in seconds like butter. He bought an adapter for the drill with disc to prevent the auger from falling through the hole in the event it pulled loose from the drill chuck. Check out the videos it's quite amazing.

18-20 inches of ice 8" Fin Bore lll hand auger

3 ft. of ice 8" Fin Bore lll using hammer drive battery drill

IMG_0845.JPG
IMG_0846.JPG

I use a cheap 8 inch hand auger I replace the blades every year , I’ve had different people sharpen them but they never last , can’t beat new ones

Some pictures from years past

Attachments

• BF76A9AA-485E-4545-8780-9521ADBA75D1.jpeg
    BF76A9AA-485E-4545-8780-9521ADBA75D1.jpeg
    367.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 6E1446B3-C69D-4792-AE0F-759C527ABB32.jpeg
    6E1446B3-C69D-4792-AE0F-759C527ABB32.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 2075C075-9C1B-4CAA-B5DB-952045F917A8.jpeg
    2075C075-9C1B-4CAA-B5DB-952045F917A8.jpeg
    378.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 9D02C4A7-B1AA-4035-91DD-4D7D01855E9C.jpeg
    9D02C4A7-B1AA-4035-91DD-4D7D01855E9C.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 32
nice equipment and thanks for sharing @Wave Runner ...and nice whitefish catch...good for you..with the nephew..looks like lots of experience there..
and impressive sound and speed with that Fin bore augar cutting thru that ice...
I think they been around for a while
I remember bass haven forum chatting about how good they are..
Ya the 8 inch hole size is worth the extra..gaff room too..

i have had my mora hand augar for alot of years.. its a dinosaur..it looks well used..lol I have gone thru alot of ice and a few sets of blades..the new ones are razor sharp..compared to resharpenin my old ones on a grinder..just like @Yakfisherman said..

ya out hunting on the ice and sometimes see signs of activity .reopening old holes sometimes can be good...I use to take and use a spud for them..
I got thru thick thick ice with my mora augar on lake bernard and nippissing..over 2 feet of ice...some days the locals were driving there trucks out there..ya it was nice to stay in Sunridge on the weekends at a friends..local bait shop included..we had some good weekend trips and a mixed bag of fish...

I know I need more then brand new sharp blades if i plan to go up north...I need a new power augar and make it easier
being stuck here..Iam looking forward on running my quad..hopefully LSC...but

I have a 4" power auger which is great for panfish etc. The power head is removable and I made an adapter for a Mora 8" auger shaft for walleye, whitefish, pike, etc. I suspect most powerheads are similiar.
One of the very BEST additions to my ATV is chains. I dont use them all the time but I carry them all the time. On bare ice or deep snow on the ice, they are a life saver.

my differential lock combined with 4X4 field tested several times in deep snow...and thats with my girlfriend on the back..mind you i keep the throttle humming along with plenty of power..

have to be very careful with chains.. right size & fit matters..and run them at low speed..

Hey @DaveJ What powerhead on the mora 8 inch augar

I see cabelas has a gaspowered eskimo augar reasonably priced..
5 year warranty with good reviews...
the 8 inch size weighs 32 lbs

1606310935340.png

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks