Wildwood

Ken

Drove by today, lots of guys out. I didn't stop to talk so I don't know how everyone did. Looking to go out on Saturday. Long drive from London so I am hoping a few guys whop were out today could report on how they did. I am not looking for spots, I love finding my own. Just some info on what was being caught.

Drove by today, lots of guys out. I didn't stop to talk so I don't know how everyone did. Looking to go out on Saturday. Long drive from London so I am hoping a few guys whop were out today could report on how they did. I am not looking for spots, I love finding my own. Just some info on what was being caught.
I would like to know as well I've never caught anything ice fishing not even a carp out of wildwood , curious ......

used to ice fish it all the time there are pike and perch in there got a 10lb through the ice 7 years ago but there mainly a nice eating size 2-3lbs

627 views, 3 responses, ZERO help. This site use to be so good for a few tips, suggestions and even a little bit of help. However lately everyone is very tight lipped.
I get not wanting to share spots, I wouldn't either and the best part of fishing is getting out and finding them yourself. But, when a member asks for a little advice it would be nice to get it. I know there are fish in Wildwood, I fish it all the time in the summer....just never ice fished it in the winter.
Maybe and this is possible, out of the 627 views, no one knows what is being caught or has any tips.

I've likely hit this thread at least 10 times, but I've never fished Wildwood, so I've got nothing to offer.

Wildwood suck's, same as any conservation area's with damm's? Thame's, Kettle, Catfish, conservation, all get a plus 0 rating. Muddpy carp sanuaries,
Don't waste your time, been there.

10 years on the site and you've racked up a grand total of 4 posts Ken....you get out what you put in.....

I personally avoid Wildwood. There's some mostly hammer handle pike to be caught as the population seems to have rebounded somewhat. Also some perch to be found. Unfortunately the lake gets drained and the fish get RAPED at the dam in the winter. Everyone there seems to be a meat hunter and IMO the lake can't withstand the pressure....

If you go please consider C&Ring at least some of your catch. I grew up fishing wildwood and it was an amazing fishery at one time. Not sure the quality of the fishery there will ever improve without some help from special regs however and the chances of that are slim :(

Josh

Touche Josh, well said, I finally took the time to re-set my password, my bad....over the years I have learned allot from peoples post and always appreciated the insight people have. Going forward I will add to that insight, maybe I have something to offer.
Thanks for the feedback.
I fish wildwood a lot in the summer (all C &R) and fishing has always been good.
Going to give it a try tomorrow, I will let everyone know how we did.

My big harp about Wildwood is that its not user friendly in that there is no easy access to the lake. You have to walk about several hundred yards from the closest parking space to the lake when you drive in first quite a ways. The other (and dangerous) alternative is to park along the shoulder of the road a ways up from the dam. Definetely not recommended!. especially in winter along that curve in the road there. It's too bad. Anybody got any other comments contrary, I'm open minded for any answer. Huron.

You get what you pay for.
In this case it's free.
There is a few parking lots closer to the lake but this would require plowing into an area they don't need to use in the winter.
To open these it would cost them money so they would need to charge & hire personal to collect fee's.
Not likely to break even so it doesn't happen.
Also a liability issue.
Now free with "ice fish at your own risk".
Charge for it and the liability threshold moves more in the direction against them.

Huron, the St Mary's branch, (wild wood), of the Thames is the cleanest of the 3 branches, and hold's some decent pike. This time of yr you can walk most of the river and stay dry, fish the deep holes where the river turns direction, better ice, pop some holes. We use live bait. Best we've had was the concession just north of were St Mary's branch meet's the Woodstock branch, Putnam area. Good Luck

The branch that runs through St Mary's is the north branch it flows slightly west then south towards thorndale and into Fanshawe lake......The middle branch (Thamesford) and the South branch (Ingersoll) meet near Putnam.....

Yes river ice *can* be fishable. I've done alot of risky fishing on ice and ice shelves....but I would caution anyone from walking on any stretch of frozen, moving river. VERY good way to drown....lots of springs in the Putnam area that prevent uniform freezing;)

Josh

Josh is correct in his description of the branches.
Wildwood is not on the Thames River but Trout Creek which feeds into the Thames in St Marys a few miles down stream of the dam.

Just got back from Wildwood, slow day.....fished from 8-2pm 0-3. They are there, just not interested in our offerings, or we are to slow to set the hook.
Great day out on the ice though, met allot of great guys. Fished live minnows, shinners and 5-7inch suckers, 2 fish it a 3inch shiner, 1 hit the sucker and broke a 30lb line.....hope it enjoyed its free meal.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks