Who does this

highhopes

I've been keeping my fish in these for the 5 years and I never have any freezer burn the fish taste like I caught them today these two are from last May just make sure you rinse them out good and use bottled water not tap water good four wild game to like ducks to.

Attachments

• 20200419_172049.jpg
    20200419_172049.jpg
    839.9 KB · Views: 333
Growing up my mother did the same. Milk bags were rinsed and used. Her greatest “revelation“ the advent of plastic bread bags from waxed paper ones. That stretched our galoshes one more year (the bags over the shoes and then into the leaky boots).

Best legal way is packaged so they can be counted and having an identifiable skin patch. The good old days are gone.

..I use a vaccuum sealer..there was a link on here last week where to order the rolls from..much cheaper than canadian tire or costco...they are excellent ...no freezer burn even 9 months later..I remember my mom freezing cherries in those things tho..they seemed to work well..

@Tyee: is that for home cleaning or travelling, was told YEARS ago by a CO didn't need skin if cleaned at your residence. Maybe new today, I clean mark bags with number of fillets and freeze . I'm hoping don't have to leave skin on..small piece..

@Tyee: is that for home cleaning or travelling, was told YEARS ago by a CO didn't need skin if cleaned at your residence. Maybe new today, I clean mark bags with number of fillets and freeze . I'm hoping don't have to leave skin on..small piece..
Legally you do have to leave at least a part of the skin on. And the pieces must easily be counted. A solid block doesn't meet that standard. There is no home or travelling differences.

My grandfather was always doing things as cheaply as possible. Carton milk was too expensive so were Ziploc and vacuum bags. We reused milk bags and tied them off with "free" rubber bands from the mailman.

There is a good explanation in the fishing regs. I'll stick with the skin patch and countable as told to me by a CO. Back in the day we froze them in a zip lock bag filled with fresh water, sealed after squeezing the air out. Never freezer burned and always tasted fresh. That was before the small vacuum units came out. Oh how times have changed!

Legally you do have to leave at least a part of the skin on. And the pieces must easily be counted. A solid block doesn't meet that standard. There is no home or travelling differences.
Yes there is a difference, the skin on requirement only applies to travelling with caught sport fish. In the fishing regs it is listed under the section Transporting Sport Fish. Just to be clear I emailed the ministry this morning to confirm in writing so I could post the email answer here. I hope this clears up any misconceptions on the topic. :)

storing caught fish at home
Inboxx
MNRF.AYL (MNRF)
10:58 AM (31 minutes ago)
to me

Good day Mr. Beer,

Thank you for your inquiry with regards to fish ID. If you transport your fish home and decided to clean at your home location, it is not a requirement to the leave skin on, however if you are at your cottage for example and you want to transport some of your catch to your primary residence then you should leave some skin on and have it packaged so it can be counted and identified while travelling. If you are going to consume some at your cottage then there is no need to leave the skin on.

I hope this helps answer your question.

If you require further assistance, please contact me directly.

Thank you!

Janice Waite
Resources Operations Clerk
Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry | Aylmer District
615 John Street North
Aylmer, ON N5H 2S8
:) (519) 773-4754 | *: janice.waite@ontario.ca

Filets in a good quality freezer bag fill with water, shake to get all air out then zip, they will last for years, just don't bang them around in the freezer because it makes holes in the bag.

Yes there is a difference, the skin on requirement only applies to travelling with caught sport fish. In the fishing regs it is listed under the section Transporting Sport Fish. Just to be clear I emailed the ministry this morning to confirm in writing so I could post the email answer here. I hope this clears up any misconceptions on the topic. :)

Inboxx
MNRF.AYL (MNRF)
10:58 AM (31 minutes ago)
to me

Good day Mr. Beer,

Thank you for your inquiry with regards to fish ID. If you transport your fish home and decided to clean at your home location, it is not a requirement to the leave skin on, however if you are at your cottage for example and you want to transport some of your catch to your primary residence then you should leave some skin on and have it packaged so it can be counted and identified while travelling. If you are going to consume some at your cottage then there is no need to leave the skin on.

I hope this helps answer your question.

If you require further assistance, please contact me directly.

Thank you!

Janice Waite
615 John Street North
Aylmer, ON N5H 2S8
Thanks F.F. someone thinks he is a lawyer on a lot of posts these days.

Thanks for posting their response @Wave Runner .

IMO the wording in the regs is pretty unclear on this. Yeah, the skin-on requirement is under the "Transporting Sport Fish" section, sub-heading "Tips for Packaging Fish" (why "Tips"?). Tip #3 says "Since anglers often transport or store various species of fish, it is their responsibility to ensure every fillet of their catch can be easily identified..." (emphasis added). Tip #5 says "If a conservation officer inspects fish captured through sport fishing and you are transporting them improperly packaged..." (no mention of storing them, only transporting).

There is another summary page online that appears aimed at condensing some of the key regulations (https://www.ontario.ca/page/packaging-transporting-or-exporting-fish). If you look through this page, it reads very much like the packaging rules would apply to all fish in your possession whether stored or transported. The video indicates that the rules should apply unless "the fish is being prepared for immediate consumption"

The page linked above even says directly "Don't freeze fillets in a milk carton", and this is not listed under a heading applying only to transport :banghead:

After reading the link you put on @Crestliner16 yes it is very confusing. It's got me thinking because I've been burned before by government agencies giving out wrong information. When I bought my lot to build my house on they told me if I purchased the lot there would be no land transfer tax to pay. Months after building I get a bill for the land transfer tax because the builder had to buy the lot in order to be exempt. So it cost me an extra $3,100 because they didn't know what they were talking about even though it's their job to know. Maybe I'll contact another MNR office to see if what they say matches what I got. Just saying. ;)

I'm afraid to ask about what you used for birth control @Extra Virgin .

All I know is shortly after the birth of our second child is the Mrs made me some fancy drink that made me sleepy. I vaguely remember some sort of laser light show pointed at my junk, maybe a rave party ?‍♂️ When I woke up on the drive home I had a balloon and ice cream, best day ever (y) ..... I think?

@Crestliner16... I tried to get one of the other MNR offices to ask them the same question but failed. So I replied to the other email I posted and asked her in a different way clearly to clarify so we know for sure if that's what she meant. So now I'm sure it's exactly like I have always done my whole life no skin needed at home only when transporting cleaned fish. However I'm keeping the email just in case... just saying. ?

My Question to her
3:07 PM (13 minutes ago)

to MNRF.AYL
Hi again. I just wanted to clarify that when you say I don't need to leave the skin on when cleaning at home for immediate consumption does that mean I don't have to leave the skin on either if I package what I don't eat immediately to put my freezer? For example if I bring home my limit of 6 walleye and eat 2 immediately I can then package the other 4 cleaned walleye to put in my freezer without having to leave the skin on. Is that correct?

Thanks again,
Bob

Her Reply
Inboxx
MNRF.AYL (MNRF)
3:16 PM (0 minutes ago)
to me

Hi,

Yes, that is correct. Basically, the skin applies when you will be transporting fish from one location to another.

Thanks

Janice Waite
615 John Street North
Aylmer, ON N5H 2S8

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks