Who do we talk to about bringing back pike spearing

paddle maker

This the season for what used to be pike spearing season. I would love to teach my son this skill the way my father taught me. Who do we talk to about brining this sport back?

From what I understand, there is still as season for spearing carp, what about teaching him on a bigger, more numerous target?
Carp
Bow and arrow, spear and dip net (during daylight hours only)
May 1 to
July 31
5, 6, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15
(except Algonquin Park),
16, 18, 19, 20
No limit
2nd Saturday in May to July 31
No limit
No open season
1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 11, Algonquin Park
in Zone 15
N/A

There were several public input sessions recently for FMZ16.....turnout was very poor at each of them from what I hear. Everyone seems to have suggestions but hardly anyone made the effort to actually participate and make their voices heard :(

Josh

paddle maker, I used to spear em as a kid, and i loved doin that with my brother, I would love to have passed that tradition on also.

Capt. Blastr

Guy's, I too have very fond memories of spear fishing with gram pa and his posse? Huge bon fire, the net across the rapids, adult's drinking and getting loud? Spearer's in front of the rapids, brave soles with poles walking, swimming the deep holes driving fish? Something our youth will never know? or shoud? That was 70 yrs ago, we don't need to now, as a food source, and we know it's not sustainable to the resource. Eat em all you want once they give us the next generation, we as fishermen all bitch if we aren't catching, cant see how spearing them will they are spawning works?
Gramps also held a few hundred acres, farm dump was a certain gully were everything went, you know, spray/pioson cans, used to spray DDT, his time, dam good stuff?
They came a long ways from those before them, we've come either farther, spearing a resource fishery is int coming back? No ill intended, just a opinion from a old dirt that had the opportunity to see both eras?

When they put the ban on spear fishing in place I never understood why , they where only a handful of us left doing it and there is a very healthy pike population in the bay

I think a Carp spearing derby would be a lot of fun or bow fishing for Carp or just a plain fishing derby for Carp since they were one of the original invasive species. Might be good practice for when their cousins from Asia start showing up.

Guy's, I too have very fond memories of spear fishing with gram pa and his posse? Huge bon fire, the net across the rapids, adult's drinking and getting loud? Spearer's in front of the rapids, brave soles with poles walking, swimming the deep holes driving fish? Something our youth will never know? or shoud? That was 70 yrs ago, we don't need to now, as a food source, and we know it's not sustainable to the resource. Eat em all you want once they give us the next generation, we as fishermen all bitch if we aren't catching, cant see how spearing them will they are spawning works?
Gramps also held a few hundred acres, farm dump was a certain gully were everything went, you know, spray/pioson cans, used to spray DDT, his time, dam good stuff?
They came a long ways from those before them, we've come either farther, spearing a resource fishery is int coming back? No ill intended, just a opinion from a old dirt that had the opportunity to see both eras?
No one is talking about nets or parties there are several natural flood planes in the County like are way better to eat and harder to spear than carp. For the dozen or so people in the County who did this 8 or 10 years ago I don't believe it hurt the population.

From what I understand, there is still as season for spearing carp, what about teaching him on a bigger, more numerous target?
Carp
Bow and arrow, spear and dip net (during daylight hours only)
May 1 to
July 31
5, 6, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15
(except Algonquin Park),
16, 18, 19, 20
No limit
2nd Saturday in May to July 31
No limit
No open season
1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 11, Algonquin Park
in Zone 15
N/A
Ya carp is OK to spear but it doesnt taste as good and is way easier pike are fast and camouflage

I'll predict there will be limited traction for a revision of the regs to accommodate " a dozen or so" people for a pike spearing season. Unless.... you could claim some "status" as a "heritage" activity :unsure:

Eat em all you want once they give us the next generation, we as fishermen all bitch if we aren't catching, cant see how spearing them will they are spawning works?

You do realize fish spawn year after year right? Your argument in a couple of recent threads makes no sense to me whatsoever. Whether you catch them in the summer, fall or during spawning migration doesn't really matter, taking a prime breeding fish (particularly female) any time of year can affect the population.

I see no issue with spearing. Selective harvest is easily accomplished and possession limits still apply....

Josh

Last edited:
Josh, respectably, I'm not sure I understand your math? Also totality agree, as pointed out at me, in other post, it's anyone's choice to take spawning fish were legal? But why? really? how do the number's work?
A fish spawn's, and drop's hundred's of future stock, say a 10% survival, many more fish. That's sustainable.
Catch and kill that same fish during spawn, 0% surviveal.
Catch and eat it after spawn, yes that one is gone, but the resource goes on.
Also confused on how selective harvest works when spearing fish?? Doesn't it make the release kinda difficult?

If a fish gets harvested in June when you say it's OK to eat all you want or its harvested the following spring while nearing the spawn makes zero difference. It's still been removed from the population and will not add to the future of the resource.

For a fishery to flourish you need protection from overharvest of prime spawning fish all season, time of year is irrelevant.

As for selective harvest, pike spearing is visual. You can choose to take smaller male fish if you so desire rather than spearing the large, gravid females. Pretty simple.

Josh

Last edited:
Please excuse my poor grammar. Let me reword that. If it was ok to spear pike in their spawning beds, does that mean it should be ok to spear walleye and trout in their spawning beds? I would say no to spearing any game fish while they are spawning. Seasons close to let fish spawn for conservation of the resource.

x2 for selective harvest. Thats a huge key to a healthy long term population. Are the pike beds protected like the bass spawning area, or is there plenty of pike out in the lake?

Can anyone enlighten me on spear fishing? When was it allowed, when was it stopped? The only people I've ever known that spear fished were Americans

Spear fishing for pike was only allowing in a few zones, one of the main ones was along the shore of lake Erie (currently Zone 16). It was stopped in 2007. We used to spear fish regularly back in the 80's and it was always a lot of fun each spring. The pike would come in to spawn in marshy areas along the shore but some would also move up some very small tributaries. You could try and stalk them in the marshes which was fairly difficult but we used to find fish (and some very large ones) in tiny farm ditches along the lake near Selkirk and Nanticoke. The fish would come up the ditches during high flows and many would become trapped in small pools when the water receded. If they did spawn in these areas, the fry would also become trapped and likely die or be eaten by birds anyway (or so we figured) so we didn't really worry about taking our share. I will try and dig out some old photos and post them for a laugh.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks